• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Microplane Graters

=Mark

I have been looking to purchase a microplane grater. Anyone out there use them? Do you recommend the fine or coarse? What foods would each be useful for?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I have a "coarse" or "medium" microplane. I have used it for everything from parmesan (which it turns into feathery curls rather than chips) to horseradish. I microplaned carrots into a puree to add to a soffrito for rice, turning the rice a brilliant orange and giving it a lovely flaour. I've microplaned chocolate for finishing cakes. I've microplaned truffles. It is a wonderful gadget with a thousand uses. And cheap, to boot, for what it is.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

I love my two microplanes and would never consider being without them - essential kitchen tools. I use the fine one for citrus zest and the "coarse" one (just slightly less fine) for hard cheeses and fresh ginger.

One tip I picked up from Cook's Illustrated that is helpful is when you are zesting fruit, instead of resting the grater on the counter at an angle and running the fruit over it, it works better to hold the lemon or orange in one hand, hold the grater face down in the other hand and sort of stroke the fruit with it. Much easier to see when you are getting just the zest, and all the shavings end up on top of the grater ready to be dumped into the other ingredients.

I guess mine is "fine" -- in any case, it makes the most wonderful fluffy shower of cheese for pasta; allows me to grate citrus zest with no nasty pith whatsoever (usually rather hard with limes); and grates fresh horseradish fine enough so that no one chokes on it in a creamy sauce. I love it. Box graters are as Model-Ts to the Porsche of a microplane.

Well, for what it's worth you can scroll down and click on the Amazon link below, where they are on sale for $6.99 each...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Suzanne, you are not kidding about the Model T--you know, it really hasn't been that long since these things got wide distribution. I was an early adopter but I can't even remember what I did before these things--I sure have zested alot more in recent years. Appreciating the excellence of a tool brings it out.

No one has mentioned whether they like the black handle or not? I use that overhand method where you rock the fruit along the zester as well.

The two most interesting uses of it I've seen are Jose Andres grating raw cauliflower over a salad--it looked and tasted like parmesan--and Alberto Adria grating long shavings of bright green Sicilian pistachios into a pile and then rolling a ball of white chocolate espuma (foam) in them. That was a very cool truffle. (Oh, and Ferran Adria shaves cauliflower--then sautes it in some butter and broth and turns it into a "cous cous.")

Mark, they're so cheap buy them all. I personally haven't used the small, narrow black handled one for "spices" yet but it sure is cute.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Survey says? Get one! :raz:

This is one of those gadgets that, once you have one, you can't live without; just like a mandolin.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Seeing this post made me cash in my Bed Beth and Beyond credit, I opted for the ribbon grater...can't wait to use it for Chocolate, frozen bananas, anything :raz::laugh:

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I love my microplane graters & use them all the time, but I do notice that (being a little clumsy :shock: ) I'm always in danger of grating my fingers. I've seen ads for a gadget that attaches and protects the fingers... anyone tried it yet? Is it worthwhile?

Neil

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.

The following product-line analysis is based upon the Microplane web site. Items are listed within each series in estimated increasing order of coarseness; suggested applications are lifted from the site. Clicking on underlined text will open the relevant Microplane page.

The 40000 series looks to be identical to the original 30000 woodworking series, right down to the last two digits of the part numbers. These are the long, skinny (generally about 1”) jobbies with plastic handles and naked blades.

40016 Spice grater: Finely grates nuts; grates nutmeg; purées ginger; grates other spices.

40020 Zester/grater: Grates Parmesan; zests citrus; grates chocolate; purées garlic, ginger; shreds coconut.

40001 Zester (no handle): Zests citrus; grates Parmesan, nutmeg; purées garlic, ginger.

40021 Medium ribbon grater: Grates soft cheese; shreds cabbage; grates butter, chocolate.

The 35000 series seems directed towards home cooks. These have shorter, wider blades (4 7/8" x 2") than the 40000 series, with plastic handles and blade surrounds.

35025 Spice grater: Same applications as 40016 spice grater.

35002 Fine grater: Zests citrus; grates Parmesan; shreds nuts; purées garlic, ginger.

35001 Coarse grater: Grates chocolate, Parmesan; shreds coconut; purées garlic, ginger.

35019 Fine ribbon grater: Shaves Parmesan; grates apples; shreds cabbage; grates carrots.

35009 Medium ribbon grater: Same applications as 40021 medium ribbon grater.

35037 Slider attachment: Protects fingers from those nasty little razors.

The 38000 series is labeled “Professional.” These have stainless handles and blade surrounds, with a rubber cushion at the end farthest from the handle. The blades are slightly larger (5 1/4" x 2 1/4") than those on the 35000 series.

38004 Fine/spice grater: Zests citrus; finely grates nuts; grates nutmeg; purées ginger.

38000 Coarse grater: Same applications as 35001 coarse grater.

38008 Extra coarse grater: Grates soft cheese, Parmesan, horseradish.

38002 Medium ribbon grater: Same applications as 35009 medium ribbon grater.

38007 Small shaver: Shaves chocolate, Parmesan.

38006 Large shaver: Shaves chocolate, Parmesan.

The 37000 series consists of two styles of handle with interchangeable blades. This seems like more trouble than the money or space it may save.

The 39000 series is the rotary grater.

Moving up the line from the 40000 to the 35000 costs about $2 per grater, and then another $2 to the 38000, making the cool stainless series an attractive choice but for one thing: there’s no fine grater. The teeth on the 38004 Fine/spice grater look identical in size, spacing, and shape to those on the 35025 Spice grater, rather than a compromise between that and the 35002 Fine grater. In fact, the size and spacing of the teeth on the 35025 Spice grater and the 35002 Fine grater also look identical, but those on the former are pointed and the latter flat.

As a result, the 38004 Fine/spice grater is not recommended for grating Parmesan cheese or puréeing garlic, whereas as the 35002 Fine grater is; conversely, the 35002 Fine grater is not recommended for grating nutmeg, whereas the 38004 Fine/spice grater is. On the other hand, both the 38000 and 35001 coarse graters are recommended for Parmesan and garlic, though it’s not clear whether the fine or coarse is preferable for these items. Similarly, it’s not clear from their descriptions which among the 38002 Fine/spice grater, 35002 Fine grater, and 40020 Zester/grater is best for zesting citrus. For that matter, is the 40020 Zester/grater an adequate, if smaller and less sexy, compromise (between fine and coarse) substitute for a pair of its more expensive brothers?

Subject to the answers to these questions, my own requirements (grate Parmesan, soft cheese, butter, chocolate; purée garlic, ginger; zest citrus) could best be satisfied by any of the following combinations, “best” meaning most functional, then most efficient in number of implements and cost, then coolest:

- 40020 Zester/grater plus 40021 Medium ribbon grater.

- 35002 Fine grater plus 35009 Medium ribbon grater.

- 38004 Fine/spice grater plus 38000 Coarse grater and 38002 Medium ribbon grater.

The table below, which should but does not appear on the Microplane site, summarizes most of the above. Further unfacetious comments from members who have used the products in question are hereby solicited.

fce967b4.jpg

Just to complicate matters, Williams-Sonoma offers its own 38000-like tools, manufactured by Accutec, with a slightly different selection of blades.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

Chef Matt, what do you mean by we eGulleteers? You’re just a newbie here. (BTW, that last meal at Bid remains the stuff of legend. When do we get to taste your food again?)

The post was originally to be just a request to the knowledgeable for a comparison of the different Microplane series and of the different models within each. It evolved into a minor research project, toyed with parodying a certain kind of eGullet excess, realized that it was having fun, became serious again, and then, perhaps, veered into self-parody. I'm still hoping for some guidance.

Ben, I have no idea how well the thing grates butter or anything else; I’ve yet to purchase a Microplane. Aside from sounding like a cool thing to do, grating butter seems like a useful way to top pancakes (Atkins, of course), meats, salads, girlfriends, and all the other things that would be chilled or otherwise damaged when spread with fridge-temperature butter.

"To Serve Man"

I visited my local kitchen gadgets retailer today, intent on the purchase of a Microplane for cheese grating and citrus zesting; they had a couple of Microplane models, but mostly Cuisipro/Accutec. As ahr said in the comprehensive summary, "Williams-Sonoma offers its own 38000-like tools, manufactured by Accutec, with a slightly different selection of blades." One of the Accutec models in the store explicitly mentioned Microplane on the label; the others didn't, but it seemed obvious where Accutec got their working parts.

I purchased a "Cuisipro" "Accutec Fine Grater" which seems to be more-or-less identical to the Microplane 38004, except for the words "Cuisipro" and "Accutec" stamped on the cutter.

Awesome tool; highly recommended, with the caveat that I just got it, and don't have much experience with it yet.

I expect that lower-cost manufacturers are even now working on clones; beware. Microplane appears to be a rather small company, and perhaps not able to defend patent-infringement lawsuits against the imitators.

Edited by Human Bean (log)

Re: grating butter with a Microplane: How many times have you forgotten to take the butter out of the fridge ahead of time when you need it softened for a recipe? That's why G-d invented the Microplane (one reason, anyway). You grate the cold -- or even frozen -- butter, and bingo, it's usable. You didn't know???

Re: grating butter with a Microplane:  How many times have you forgotten to take the butter out of the fridge ahead of time when you need it softened for a recipe?  That's why G-d invented the Microplane (one reason, anyway).

Um, that's why the deity/ies invented the microwave 'defrost'/ low-power function?

HB, does your "Cuisipro" "Accutec Fine Grater" have flat teeth like the 35002, or pointy ones like the 38004?

The puzzling thing about the 38000 series is that, unlike the 35000, it doesn't include a Fine model, going from Spice (which they call Fine/Spice) right down to Coarse.

"To Serve Man"

HB, does your "Cuisipro" "Accutec Fine Grater" have flat teeth like the 35002, or pointy ones like the 38004?

The store had some genuine Microplane models, but I don't remember which ones. Given the choices, I'd have to say flat.

Maybe this will help, this is mine:

grater.jpg

Edit: checked the links in ahr's comprehensive summary; couldn't tell the difference in the tooth shape between the different series.