• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stainless steel meat grinder plate sources

Chris Hennes

I have a bunch of carbon steel meat grinder plates, which I despise: I have no idea how one can actually keep the damned things rust-free, they seem to oxidize in the time it takes me to dry them. I just got a catalog from sausagemaker.com in the mail, and it seems they sell a wide range of stainless steel grinder plates. Has anyone tried them, and are there other sources out there I don't know about?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Chris, you already have 3 sources for SS plates. I'm still using my carbon steel plates and have not had any rust issues so until you get your SS plates, if you haven't tried this, toss them in a warm toaster oven after washing. By time you are finished washing all the grinder parts the plates are dry

I have a bunch of carbon steel meat grinder plates, which I despise: I have no idea how one can actually keep the damned things rust-free, they seem to oxidize in the time it takes me to dry them. I just got a catalog from sausagemaker.com in the mail, and it seems they sell a wide range of stainless steel grinder plates. Has anyone tried them, and are there other sources out there I don't know about?

got one from them and its several years old and perfect, still,,,

There are plenty of European sources ... (though it sounds like Chris won't need them) ...

... however, somewhere along the way I have picked up the message that one ought to be sure to run a stainless blade when using a stainless grinder plate.

Anyone got any input on this? Fact or fable?

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

... however, somewhere along the way I have picked up the message that one ought to be sure to run a stainless blade when using a stainless grinder plate.

Well, you can see galvanic corrosion between stainless steel and carbon steel, but I strongly doubt that would matter in this application, since the parts are not stored in contact with one another and so are only in contact for a brief period during use. My blade actually IS stainless, it's just the plates that are carbon steel.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Well, you can see galvanic corrosion between stainless steel and carbon steel, but I strongly doubt that would matter in this application, since the parts are not stored in contact with one another and so are only in contact for a brief period during use. My blade actually IS stainless, it's just the plates that are carbon steel.

My presumption had been that it might be to do with matching the hardness of blade and plate, rather than galvanic concerns.

What is the "hub"?

This.

Just a little added convenience.

And there I had been thinking that it was about additional bearing support ! :rolleyes: Always good to learn something!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I've never had a problem with carbon steel blades/dies/plates because, as mentioned above, I first dry them with heat, either in the oven or my dehydrator, and then oil them with mineral oil and wrap them in a dry paper towel that absorbs the excess oil.

Mine are several decades old. I sharpen the blades on a flat Arkansas combination stone that I've had for at least forty years - originally purchased to sharpen the cutting blades for my mat cutting machine and my carving and scrimshaw tools.

I don't remember the grit size, one side is medium and the other is very fine for finishing, removing burrs, etc.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Right—I'm sure that those of you who take better care of your equipment than I do have little problem with carbon steel plates: after all, zillions of butchers around the world have been using them for years. Alas, as a lazy slob, I'm looking for something lower maintenance.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org