• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soft Shell Crabs

Mottmott

which city/area ??

At a guess (and from the title) in Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs. :wink:

I see them at the Reading Terminal Market, though I can't speak to quality or season. (Not a fan myself; the texture is a little too... toenail-like for me.)

Don't buy them frozen. It does something weird to them texturally. You have to buy them fresh, alive and snip their little faces off and clean them yourself or they just aren't the same.

We have them at Oyster House. I'll find out for you which purveyor we buy them from.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My bad, I was not at all clear. I'm really looking for a restaurant that serves a good version of soft shell crabs. For some reason this is something I only eat when out. (Silly, as I will cook lobster, mussels, etc. at home.}

I think of this forum as a restaurant forum, so wasn't properly specific. However, Katie's response suggests that they have them at the Oyster House, so I guess I can find them there.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I thought the season was more like May-July-ish, but perhaps we're still in the tail end of it. I haven't really been paying attention to the specials boards recently, but if they're in-season and available fresh, they're pretty common in many kinds of restaurants around here.

Oyster House is certainly going to be a good choice. We've had some really delicious ones at Ken's Seafood in Chinatown, and a crazy spicy version at Han Dynasty in Old City. Softshell Po-Boys pop up as specials at Cajun Kate's out in Boothwyn, and at Khyber Pass Pub in Old City. I've had both, and they're really good, but you'd have to check to see if they're available.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

When we have them depends on when they molt, so sometimes a few weeks will pass with no softshells and then they reappear, as if by magic. Jeff is right, though. Season is coming to a close soon. When they're in we usually have them as a Po'Boy sandwich at lunch and as an entree at dinner. But if you call ahead they can give you a better description of that day's presentation as the menu changes daily both at lunch and at dinner.

FWIW, we had them on Monday this week. I've been off the last few days, but I can let you know tomorrow if they're still around.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The best I've ever had were at Sagami, a sushi place in Collingswood, NJ. Simple and unadorned, light and crispy and loaded with flavor. They were a special, so yes, only in season. You'd have to check and see if they have 'em.