• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gaz Regan's Annual Manual for Bartenders, 2011

EvergreenDan

I got Gaz's new book Annual Manual for Bartenders, 2011. It has an interesting first installment of his bio, some basic bartending info, and a chapter on "Mindful Bartending", plus 102 cocktail recipes from bartenders around the world.

I thought I'd start a thread about trying some of the recipes, and the results. Anyone want to play?

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Matthew - Yes, there is some of that -- i.e. complicated recipes involving foams and special housemade syrups and obscure brands and the like. And some assume you have an open bottle of all sorts of sherries, ports, and aromatized wines. And many recipes call for a specific brand (because that's what the bar uses, or that was the spirit that sponsored the competition).

Still, there are lots that I could make as-written from my average-size-for-an-enthusiast liquor cabinet. And there were lots where I thought I could substitute brands, substitute ingredients, or even omit some ingredients. Even the ones that I probably won't get the stuff to make are interesting to read about and consider conceptually. It's an inspiring and thought-provoking book. I think lots of the cocktails will appeal to a wide audience, whereas lots of the cocktails in the Beta Cocktails will appeal to geeks (like me).

It would not be a good book for someone trying to maintain a 12-bottle bar, though.

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)

One I enjoyed recently was:

Teenage Riot

1 1/2 oz Rittenhouse 100 Rye

1 1/2 oz Cynar

1/2 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)

1/2 oz Lustau Dry Amontillado Sherry

2 dash Orange Bitters (Angostura Orange)

Stir with ice and strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.

Overall, a little drier and more citrussy than a Little Italy. And to the above poster's comments, there are no fancy syrups or other in this drink. More about this drink:

http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2011/06/teenage-riot.html

Ha, Fred, I was eyeing Teenage Riot, although the Amontillado I have open is not dry.

Tonight we tried:

Dirt 'n Diesel

by Cale Green, Tavern Law, Seattle, WA

2 oz Dark rum, Cruzan Blackstrap

1/2 oz Fernet Branca

1/2 oz Rich demerara syrup 2:1

1/4 oz Cynar

1/4 oz Lime juice

1 wdg Lime (as garnish)

Shake, strain, straight up, coupe

This was actually already in Kindred Cocktails, although I hadn't tried it. I used that last of some Old Monk I was trying to use up (which isn't that dissimilar to the Cruzan) and regular simple. A nice drink, although I would probably swap the quantities of Fernet and Cynar next time. Worth trying again. I served it on the rocks, and liked it better as the ice melted, so I'd suggest a long stir.

Also tried the Negroni d'Or

1 1/2 oz G'vine Nouasion gin (Tanqueray)

1/2 oz Dolin Blanc

1/2 oz Gran Classico

Stir, strain, one large cube or sphere, old fashioned glass.

I liked this, although not as much as a perfect Negroni. Lovely yellow color. I'm not sure how my substitution affected it, as I've never tried the G'vine gins.

Tonight we tried:

Dirt 'n Diesel

by Cale Green, Tavern Law, Seattle, WA

2 oz Dark rum, Cruzan Blackstrap

1/2 oz Fernet Branca

1/2 oz Rich demerara syrup 2:1

1/4 oz Cynar

1/4 oz Lime juice

1 wdg Lime (as garnish)

Shake, strain, straight up, coupe

Don't have the book but I will definitely be trying this one.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

So I went down and picked up a copy of this today (it's nice living w/in walking distance of The Boston Shaker!) First impression is that it's an endearingly idiosyncratic book--part biography, part life advice, part journalism, part recipes. The first two chapters of gaz's autobiography were actually pretty entertaining, and his writing just sort of exudes positive vibes, which is nice in itself.

I haven't really checked out the recipes beyond a quick scan, so more to come on that front.

My copy came in the mail yesterday. I've already read it cover to cover. What a great book! For my first drink I chose one containing scotch -- since scotch cocktails always intrigue me.

Brigadoon

1 tsp Orgeat

1/2 oz lemon

2/3 oz apricot brandy (I used R&W)

1 1/2 oz Glenmorangie scotch (I used Compass Box Spice tree since that was the least peaty scotch I have on hand)

Shake, strain, orange twist.

This seems to me a modified version of a Cameron's Kick -- with all scotch and no irish whiskey, and with the addition of apricot brandy. When I first tried a Cameron's Kick I had no idea what to think. I wasn't sure whether I liked it or not. The only thing I knew was that I wanted another sip. Pretty soon the glass was empty and I found myself making another one.

This drink is similar -- hard to decide on the first sip. I'm near the end of the glass now and I've decided I do in fact like it -- although I'll make the next one with Ardbeg 10 or Laphroig and see how it works with the extra peat and smoke.

Dan

Brigadoon caught my eye as well, and I will give it a try soon. The first drink from the book I tried out tonight is the Coral Reef:

2 oz Plymouth gin

1 oz St. Germain

0.75 oz. Aperol

Club soda

Build over ice in a highball glass, lemon twist garnish.

Not bad. And I agree with gaz, this works well without the club soda too. Comparing it both ways, I definitely like it better without the splash of soda.

Gonna have to try that Coral Reef as well, I've been looking for ways to try out the Chase Distillery Elderflower I picked up when it became apparent that St. Germain wasn't going to happen anytime soon. I think I need to just go ahead and buy the book.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Sunny -- that Coral Reef sounds pretty sweet, no? Maybe that's the reason for the soda?

I did it without the soda (didn't have any on hand) and it is on the sweet side. Tasty and not offensively sweet for me (with the disclaimer that the reviews I've read say the Chase Distillery Elderflower I used is less sweet than the St. Germain so that could factor in) but definitely on the sweet side of the tracks.

Yes, on the sweet side, but still a balanced drink. Not exactly my cup of gin but certainly worth a try. The club soda didn't moderate sweetness so much as it just sort of thinned out a drink that is already very light-bodied.

I think a dash of orange bitters wouldn't hurt.

The Cortez the Killer (tequila-based) and the Division Bell (mezcal-based) were vying for my attention this evening, and Cortez got the nod.

• 2 oz blanco tequila

• 0.75 oz Bonal (I subbed Lillet Blanc)

• 0.25 oz creme de cacao

• orange twist garnish

stir/strain/up

This one is nice. The orange oils and light chocolate from the cacao play well with the tequila, and the Lillet does a nice job of opening up the flavors.

I have never had Bonal. Is it hugely different than Lillet?

Yes, they are dissimilar. My may may be thinking of Cocchi Americano, which is very similar to Lillet, sharing the strong orange flavor, but having a better bitter aspect. Bonal is more like sweet vermouth -- rich and spicy. For a sub, I'd try a sweet vermouth with maybe 1/4th Punt e Mes if you have it. Or Carpano Antica although that has its own flavors going on.

Next time you are out of sweet vermouth, I heartily recommmend you try a bottle of Bonal. It is nice enough to drink straight from the refrigerator, maybe with a wedge of lemon. It's pretty widely available in Boston now.

The Cortez the Killer (tequila-based) and the Division Bell (mezcal-based) were vying for my attention this evening, and Cortez got the nod.

I tried a Division Bell a while back and enjoyed it but I don't have a really good mezcal available where I live so I'm sure I didn't get everything it's meant to be.

I was just about to reply to the Bonal question and saw I was beat to the punch. So I decided to just mix up a Cortez the Killer for myself. Built to spec, it was good -- but it seemed to be begging me to add something. I grabbed my newly-acquired bottle of Bittermens Hopped Grapefruit Bitters, saw that the label recommended "...adding a dash to stirred cocktails containing tequila...", and threw in 8 drops.

Nice. The best I've tried so far from the book.

By the way, I pondered on the Brigadoon some more and decided I like the Cameron's Kick better. I also tried the Laissez les Bon Temps Rouler last night but didn't care for it. If I'm going to stir 2oz of Rye into a drink, it's going to be a Sazerac or an Improved Whiskey Cocktail (although I'm always up for trying something new)

Dan

Yes, they are dissimilar. My may may be thinking of Cocchi Americano, which is very similar to Lillet, sharing the strong orange flavor, but having a better bitter aspect. Bonal is more like sweet vermouth -- rich and spicy. For a sub, I'd try a sweet vermouth with maybe 1/4th Punt e Mes if you have it. Or Carpano Antica although that has its own flavors going on.

Next time you are out of sweet vermouth, I heartily recommmend you try a bottle of Bonal. It is nice enough to drink straight from the refrigerator, maybe with a wedge of lemon. It's pretty widely available in Boston now.

Thanks for the info on Bonal. When I read that it was a chinchona wine I wrongly assumed it would be a blank and not a rouge. After months of pestering, there is one spirits shop in striking distance that will special order Haus Alpenz products fir me, so Bonal will have to go on the list now.

• 1 month later...

I visited B&O Brasserie this past week and tried out the "el Oso" by Brendan Dorr. It was absolutely fantastic. He served it neat, not with an ice cube as called for in the book. At first, I was thrown off because it was sweeter than I'm used to, but the flavors play really well together. Don't be thrown off by the sweetness - I'm usually a fan of strong, spicy cocktails, and I loved this one. Will be picking up a bottle of barenjager soon to make these at home for sure!

1.75 oz

Partida añejo tequila

.75 oz Barenjager honey liqueur

.5 oz Luxardo maraschino liqueur

2 dashes The Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas’ Own Decanter bitters

1 dried orange wheel, as garnish

1 Kold-Draft ice cube, as garnish

Originally by Brendan Dorr, B&O Brasserie

Regan, Gary (2011-06-08). gaz regan's ANNUAL MANUAL for BARTENDERS, 2011 Mixellany Limited.

I blog about science and cooking: www.sciencefare.org

• 7 months later...

It looks like this book is available through iTunes for $3.99. This is very tempting. :smile:

I picked this up on iBooks a few months ago, it's great having access to it on the go when you've got a few ideas in the head.

The new 2012 version has just been published, I believe it will be going on iBooks/kindle soon.