• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Konjac Mystery! How to make at home?

bigchef

Hi Everyone! I have searched high and low and have yet to find any concrete info. Shiritaki noodles made fro konjac gum are healthy and yummy but no one seems to know how to make the noodles. I have found a few posts where people claim they figured it out. What about all those different shapes? Are they made in molds or extruded? Konjacfoods has a basic recipe but does anyone have a guide for all the shapes? Maybe even a wrapper? Its soooo hard to find any data on this.

I've never tried making konjac pasta, although I do use it a lot for desserts.

There's a discussion of making noodles here: http://www.konjacfoods.com/konjac.htm.

I doubt the gel would extrude well, so it's probably mostly sliced and moulded.

I'm fairly certain that I've seen at least one discussion of making these noodles in the forums here, possibly in one of the MC topics; a search should bring it to light.

Konjac powder won't give you a carbohydrate-free pasta, however, since it is mostly carbohydrate, although it is soluble fibre, not starch, which is useful for many people.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Thats one of the few sites with any info. How do you think the shapes could be made via the mold method? There is a thread on this forum but it ends before this topic is actually addressed.

The gel sets up really quickly, so you can mould it in virtually anything that you can pry it loose from once it's set. I usually just pour it into a bowl, and cut it into cubes once it's firm. For noodles you could just pour it out to the desired thickness, then slice it into strips (maybe using a rolling herb mincer of some sort).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org