• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: "Heartland" Gathering (In Philly) 2012

KatieLoeb

I see figs on that list Bob - perhaps baked figs, goat cheese and a drizzle of nice honey.

Yum.

There are other great produce vendors besides FF. Kauffman's LAncaster County Produce, steve Bowes (a local farmer who sells direct), and, especially, Iovine Brothers.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Chris:

I think the ATMs at the Wawa's have no fees, or at least they used to. My problem is that I have only been working part time because it's summer and slow, and I also just missed a week of work because I was at Tales, so I'm a pretty broke girlie. I'm only concerned that your out of state check will take days to clear and I'll "bounce" my debit card at the restaurant as a result. Can't risk having that happen. This weekend is my last hurrah before I hunker down and get real frugal until the students come back in the fall and business picks up again.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hey Katie, I understand, it just involves two trips to the ATM for me (exceeds daily withdrawal limit), and my bank's fees. One alternative is that I could put the whole Zahav bill on my card and people could pay me instead of you. Zahav is the expensive one, and I can take cash, check, PayPal, whatever people want. Then I only have to go to the ATM once, for the rest of the stuff.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

With Katie's permission and for those with spare time, here is a list of some special Philadelphia places not included in the weekend's agenda.

Carman's Country Kitchen - Open 8 AM to 2 PM Thursday thru Monday. Small, unique, brunch - every week four new choices: pancakes, french toast, omelet and other. Decor is not for those with delicate sensibilities. Saturday and Sunday are busy after 9:30. Reservations day of. Be on time. Be cool. Let Carman know you are with the eGullet group.

American Sardine Bar - Scott Shroeder's take on sandwiches. Despite the name, only one sandwich with Sardines. Two fisted eating.

Federal Donuts - Donuts in the morning, fried chicken in the afternoon. Michael Solomonov of Zahav is a partner. Local and national raves.

John's Roast Pork - Old time pork sandwich and cheesesteak stand. Closes early - 3 PM and closed on Sunday. My favor pork sandwich is Dinic's in Reading Terminal Market, but the lines there on Saturday are a killer, and many Philadelphian's prefer John's which is equally as famous for their cheesesteak.

Sarcone's Deliand Chickie's Deli - Two places for hoagies. Sarcone's is part of the same family that runs Philadelphia's premier Italian Bakery, Sarcone's. Chickie's is famous for the Italian Vegetable and Italian Tuna hoagies.

Capogiro for world class gelato and Franklin Fountain for ice cream. For a deep South Philadelphia water ice, gelati or pretzel, Italiano's

Texas Weiners for Texas Weiners and Texas Tommies - Philadelphia style hot dogs. Johnny's Hot for a Philadelphia Surf and Turf - a hot dog with a fish cake smashed on top.

Los Gallos for my favorite down home Mexican cooking.

There are plenty of others too. Shake Shack at 20th and Sansom, if you've never been. Jose Garces's Village Whiskey across the street for burgers and greaserific french fries topped with short ribs and cheese sauce. The new Blue Belly BBQ at 6th and Catherine for barbecue without borders. For classic scrapple at an old time South Philly luncheonette, Brunic's. See my Philadelphia Page for a bunch more good eating options.

Enjoy

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I can't emphasize enough that the reason we're getting at-cost and after-hours access and use of market facilities is because we'll be purchasing virtually all our ingredients from market merchants. It would be ungracious and ungrateful to our hosts to bring meat, fish, produce, etc. from the outside if it is available at the RTM. (No one's going to complain about a spice packet you bring, but there's great choice of fresh herbs at the market, cheeses, etc.)

I'm trying to think what I should bring to the potluck dinner. I was thinking I could make some bread, but would that be considered rude to make my own bread vs. buying from Metropolitan/Le Bus?

I can't emphasize enough that the reason we're getting at-cost and after-hours access and use of market facilities is because we'll be purchasing virtually all our ingredients from market merchants. It would be ungracious and ungrateful to our hosts to bring meat, fish, produce, etc. from the outside if it is available at the RTM. (No one's going to complain about a spice packet you bring, but there's great choice of fresh herbs at the market, cheeses, etc.)

I'm trying to think what I should bring to the potluck dinner. I was thinking I could make some bread, but would that be considered rude to make my own bread vs. buying from Metropolitan/Le Bus?

can you buy you flour at the market ?

;-)

Robert's Market Report

I do 't believe that's accurate...I'm pretty sure they have fees. However, half a block away is a Wawa convenience store, and it is free (I use it regularly).

I'm referring to ATM's at market which do have fees.

Some of them do, but the select-a-branch ATMs in the food court are fee free for most banks.

And for those who come from where good Jewish deli is hard to find:

Hershel's at the RTM for house-cured, hand cut pastrami and corned beef. Nova and salty belly Liz, too.

Schlesingers on Locust near 16th , better for platters than pastrami and CB; super good and cheap kosher style rib steak, highly recommended.

The Famous on 4th and Bainbridge, great platters (stuffed cabbage, etc) as well as good pastrami, CB, chopped liver, etc. Superlative smoked/cured fish selection.

Robert's Market Report

I'm not much of a cook & I've a conflict Saturday morning. Since cdh & his homebrew can't make the "potluck," I'll bring some of the local favorites.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Yes! Philadining will be joining us for dinner at Zahav. We discussed this off the board so there's no record of it here.

Looking further into EventBrite, it appears that there are all sorts of service fees that get tacked on to the event tickets. I also don't get the payout until 5 days after the event, so that doesn't work for me since I'd need the money the day of the events to be able to pay the restaurants. I just don't have that kind of credit available to me at the moment. It will be easier to just have everyone pay me in cash in advance I can then deposit it into my local bank and just use my debit card to pay for our meals. It will ABSOLUTELY NOT BE POSSIBLE to ask the restaurants to split off one or two persons cost from the bill to pay them directly with a credit card. It's a logistical nightmare for the restaurant and a logistical nightmare for me to keep track of. So it will be necessary to make sure you all have cash or a debit card on hand to visit a local ATM. Costs are as follows:

Thursday night - To be decided. On the cheap for sure.

Friday day - Italian Market Tour $20/person + a gratuity for the guide (assuming they're good and I'm sure they will be) + approximately $10 for lunch sandwiches.

Friday evening - Dinner at Zahav $65/person inclusive of tax and gratuity. Beverages are on a cash and carry basis per table.

Saturday day - tour of Reading Terminal Market. Bob Libkind has graciously offered his expertise for this one.

Saturday evening - Approx. $25-30 per person for shopping for dinner + costs for the cleanup crew/security. I will be getting a very solid answer on that Wed. But I think they're only charging us for clean up and are going "pro bono" (their phrase, not mine) for the rest.

Sunday Brunch at Han Dynasty - $30/person inclusive of tax and gratuity. Beverages separate. There is a beer and wine list available. We might want to BYO for this one. We can discuss that and I think I might be able to get my bosses to waive the nominal corkage fees. Or I might come up with a cocktail surprise for this one once I talk to my manager.

Weather forecast for the week calls for temperatures ranging from highs of 85-90 degrees during the day, lows in the low 70's in the evenings, Thunderstorms possible any day from Thursday-Saturday. It is humid here in August. Consider yourselves warned. We are a casual city, but I would make sure I had at least "business casual" attire for our dinner at Zahav. Comfortable walking shoes are a must for Friday and Saturday. Shorts and/or sneakers or open toed flip flops are occasionally frowned upon in certain establishments. Baseball caps sometimes too. Don't wear your Yankees jersey. That's just asking for trouble. :rolleyes:

So that's it. All laid out, all planned out. Really getting excited for this and looking forward to making new friends and breaking bread together. Philadining will undoubtedly photodocument for us on Thursday and Friday evening, but professional obligations will likely keep him from our other events. Everyone who wants to, please bring your cameras!!

See you all in a few days!!!

PS - Rona I am absolutely certain beyond the shadow of a doubt that we can get you to the Franklin Fountain for a proper Root Beer Float at some point.

Katie,

I am kinda feeling shy. I am new to this forum and have not met anyone personally but live close to Philadelphia (relatively speaking, DC area) and would like to come. If still possible,

Friday dinner 2 people

Sat market tour 1

Sat dinner 2

Sun brunch 2.

We will be arriving to Philadelphia on Friday evening and will bring cash to dinner in Zahav. It should be 130 for Friday, 60 for Saturday, 60 for Sunday. Is my math correct?

Thanks

yay Philadining! Now someone just needs to find MarketStEl and convince him to come.

I love figs! Someone please do figs!

Franklin Fountain is on my list (no ice cream in my root beer!), but I read Percy Street Barbecue had some kind of special root beer that I need to try. I love root beer! I might have to make a stop at the Rittenhouse Square Farmer's Market on Saturday, 'cause I read some stand there sells homemade root beer. Root beer is very important.

And yay chefmd! You will be welcomed with open arms! And lots of food!

Thank you prasantrin. I am so excited about new food experiences and very happy to meet people from this forum. You guys are totally awesome. I will gladly help with prep/serving/cleaning or whatever needs to be done on Saturday.

Check out Hot Diggity on 600 block of South Street for their root beer and other house crafted sodas. At a recent class they conducted at Cook they served a selection including dragon fruit, cucmber and sumac, lime with jalapeno, and ginger ale. The seclection keeps changing so can't be sure what they will be offering this week. Some of the best pommes frits in Philadelphia too. Interesting hot dogs.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I believe that the root beer at Percy St. is brewed by Yard's (a Philadelphia brewery). I'm sure it's good, though I'll go on record as saying I don't think the food at Percy St. is that good.

Listen to Holly when he recommends Hot Diggity! Their sodas are great- I just tried their plum ginger ale last week. Not too sweet, with a real ginger bite and plum flavor. And the dogs are terrific; don't miss the Philly surf n' turf.

And the dogs are terrific; don't miss the Philly surf n' turf.

They use Sabrett natural casing all-beef dogs, a classic. Ir's my second favorite after North Jersey's Best Provisions five- to-a-pound dog, which is what's served at the Memphis Taproom's hot dog cart.

Robert's Market Report

And for those staying for Sunday Brunch, Headhouse Market is not far from Han's.

http://www.foodtrustmarkets.org/headhouse.html

This is exciting...looking forward to seeing existing acquaintances and new.

BTW, Katie, thanks for all the hard word in pulling this together.

OK. My apologies. I've been sick in bed with a viscous upper repiratory infection since Monday evening. Hoping not to miss any of the feastivities this weekend I've literally not left my bed since then. All are welcome, and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. Slight chqnge of plans. We'll be on our own for the Italian Market tour. The tour company called me back and suddenly had a minimum charge of $200 so I told them no thank you. Screw them and their bait and switch tactics. We can have just as much fun on our own, or perhaps try a different approach and get little nibbles all along the way.

Those of you arriving Thursday. Call me when you've checked in and we can meet up from there.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Not sure what's happening tonight, but the National Constitution Center has a really cheap ($5) admission & a similar add-on for the Springsteen exhibit after 5. I was there last week e& it's mighty fine. I'd not seen an Oscar b4. If you're a fan, the handwritten lyrics will blow your socks.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.