• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: "Heartland" Gathering (In Philly) 2012

KatieLoeb

I can't imagine the potluck being a problem.

Just a note to clarify that, while we may refer to it as a "potluck," it's not a buffet-type potluck, it's a multi-course plated meal lasting several hours (or at least, it has been every year that I've gone). This eases the requirement that the kitchen be able to accommodate all the cooks, since there is downtime between the courses... sometimes a LOT of downtime, depending on the cook :smile:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 3 weeks later...

Great article to get you all geared up for your visit.

10 Reasons to Visit Philadelphia

We'll be hitting at least a few of those highlights on our tour... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

And another recent short on our fine drinking establishments.

Philly After Dark Bars

The first place is where I'm slinging these days, but that's a fairly comprehensive list of the better bars in town.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

Greeting, wl here, sorry to break the zen-like silence but I have an inquiry and/or request. I will be in Philadelphia briefly around Memorial Day weekend with a car that my daughter has been driving across country. We will need a long term place for the car to reside for a few months until the great gathering in August @ which time we will return to retrieve it & continue on our car trip back to the Pacific NW. Any good suggestions as to a good temporary home in the area, hopefully in a secured location with nice people. It would make a great back-up or second vehicle to use for who ever volunteers to look after it. It even has GPS & satellite radio which we would keep activated for the duration...cheers :rolleyes:

Here's your problem. Parking anywhere within the boundaries of Center City is generally timed for 2 hour intervals with either a meter or with a resident sticker for whatever "zone" your address falls within. You'll get a parking ticket EVERY SINGLE DAY until the city "boots" your car and then tows it off and starts charging you storage fees in addition to the ransom you'll have to pay to get it back. Unless someone in the suburbs has a driveway or secure street parking that won't label your car as "abandoned" and have it towed in that municipality, you're better off either leaving it somewhere else or renting a monthly space at a garage somewhere here for the duration. The Philadelphia Parking Authority is the most profitable agency of its type in the world. Other countries send their executives here to see how they do it. There are television programs about it. You do not want to mess with the PPA. You will lose. It's really that simple.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Your simplest option might be long term parking at the Philadelphia Airport or one of the privately run parking lots with valet service around the airport. Easy rail transport to/from the airport. Less expensive than Center City.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 3 weeks later...

Driving to Philadelphia & flying back for Heartland in August sounded like a good idea @ the time but perhaps it might be best to just continue this car trip on through to the Pacific NW. Thanks for your thoughtful feedback. By the time we get home to Seattle, it may not make much sense for us nor will be have to energy to fly back for the gathering. Dance, Masumi & I were really looking forward to joining you for the festivities. I especially am heart broken @ not being able to see old friends, make or drink tea with you all. I send you love & good thought, cheers wl

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to have to cancel coming this year. My company is opening three new cities exactly that week and I have to be available to insure the start-up is ready to go. If something changes I'll be back in.

Boo! So sorry you all won't be able to join us. Was really looking forward to it. Please let us know if plans change. You know you are alway welcome.

On a separate note, I should be getting some info back on hotels very shortly. Will post as soon as I am informed.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Will poke my hotel hookup this week while I'm off for an update. Should have an answer/answers by week's end...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

So far my friend with connections at the Visitor's Bureau has gotten a reply from The Sheraton Society Hill, located in Olde City at 4th and Walnut Streets. They have offered a $159/night rate for a block of 10 rooms. I also did a little poking around on the VisitPhilly website and there are some great deals on there, some including breakfast, valet parking for one vehicle, or tickets to the Franklin Institute to see the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit which is there through October. Most are slightly higher than the $159 rate the Sheraton Society Hill has offered. A brief look on .chlds=0&type=hotel&hotel.keyword.key=Philadelphia%2C%20PA&hotel.rooms[0].chldAge[3]=&hotel.type=keyword&hotel.rooms[0].adlts=2&search=Search&hotel.chain=&hotel.chkout=08%2F12%2F12&hotel.rooms[0].chldAge[1]=&hotel.rooms[0].chldAge[0]=&hotel.coord=&hotel.rooms[0].chldAge[2]=&hotel.rating=3&hotel.rooms[0].chldAge[4]=&hsv.page=1&hsv.sortOrder=HOTEL_DISTANCE"]Orbitz for those dates shows rates as low as $135/night at the Marriott Courtyard right next to City Hall, which is basically Ground Zero for downtown (or Center City as we call it) Philly. Comparable rates of $159/night at the Sofitel and Loew's Philadelphia, both of which are centrally located as well. Downtown Center City is not that big, and at most, all places are a short walk or cab ride.

Don't know what sort of rates you have all gotten in the past. I will keep pushing my friend to get answers this week, but a little snooping around online could yield excellent results if you want to just get on with booking. Please let me know if you have any questions about locations, neighborhoods, particular hotels or any other preferences. I am here to answer any and all queries. I'll start putting together a guide to attractions and such (other than all the glorious food we'll be indulging in) as soon as I'm able.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

This evening, Hotwire has what appears to be the Holiday Inn - Historic District, which looks to be about three blocks from the Sheraton Society Hill, for $95 + tax per night, checking in on 8/2 and out on 8/6. It also has what appears to be either the Sheraton City Center (formerly the Wyndham) or the further-away and less-recommended (but near trolley and subway stops) Sheraton University City for $92/night. Of course, you don't get the hotel's name until after you book (non-refundable), but my online source usually is accurate about such things.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

This evening, Hotwire has what appears to be the Holiday Inn - Historic District, which looks to be about three blocks from the Sheraton Society Hill, for $95 + tax per night, checking in on 8/2 and out on 8/6. It also has what appears to be either the Sheraton City Center (formerly the Wyndham) or the further-away and less-recommended (but near trolley and subway stops) Sheraton University City for $92/night. Of course, you don't get the hotel's name until after you book (non-refundable), but my online source usually is accurate about such things.

But the dates of the gathering are 8/9-8/12, no?

Yes. The dates are 8/9-8/12. I should have more info later in the week. The more centrally located, the more expensive the hotel, as is usually the case. However, the rates I quoted above are pretty good for high tourist season.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Reading Terminal Market will let us have the new multipurpose room from Saturday afternoon into the evening after market closes for $100-$200, basically their additional costs for security, maintenance. This does not include the new adjacent kitchen, which is owned/managed by one of the vendors; I hope to firm up costs with her by next weekend and will report back.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Bob, that's great!! Having just recently seen the new Rick Nichols Room, it is GORGEOUS and I'm excited that we're getting to "christen" the room for such an auspicious event. Please let us know as soon as you find out what's happening.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

But the dates of the gathering are 8/9-8/12, no?

Sorry, my brain freeze. The rates are indeed for checking in on the 9th and out on the 12th.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Wow. That's a pretty good deal! Hotwire is an excellent resource as well. I actually just used it recently to book my hotel for my upcoming trip to New Orleans and got an excellent price too. Pretty much any hotels that are listed in the Convention Center area or Historic District will all be quite close by. On the other side of City Hall, the Rittenhouse Square area is also close by, but that tends to be the much nicer (read: more expensive) four star hotels. If anyone has questions about a specific hotel or area please let us know. I'm sure either I or one of the other PhilleGulleteers can jump in and answer for you.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Tentatively here's what I've come up with so far:

Thursday evening: Perhaps a cocktail and snacks crawl? Not sure about this one since my original plan is no longer viable.

Friday morning/early afternoon - tour of Italian Market and sandwiches for lunch at Paesano's, 9th Street between Washington and Christian Streets

Friday evening - Dinner at Zahav - 2nd & Walnut Streets

Saturday morning/early afternoon - tour of Reading Terminal market, lunch, shopping for potluck 12th & Filbert Streets

Saturday evening - Potluck at Reading Terminal Market Rick Nichols Room 12th & Filbert Streets

Sunday morning/early afternoon Szechuan brunch, Han Dynasty 108 Chestnut Street

I'll see if I can create a map on Google that's more specific and includes some of the other historical and cultural sites so folks can get oriented.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

There hasn't been any mention of costs/payment details.

Which of the events will be "pay as you go" and which will require advance payment?

For those which require advance payment, how much and when is payment due, and how should it be paid? (paypal, etc.)

Has an event sign-up gone around already and I missed it?