• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: "Heartland" Gathering (In Philly) 2012

KatieLoeb

Hey, that's starting to make our being there more likely. What's the weather like in August, by the way?

Hot and humid.

On a good day.

Otherwise, really friggin' hot and really friggin' humid.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I know people are saying earlier rather than later. However, I'd just like to point out that I'll likely be in Philadelphia for some committee meetings on August 17 of next year, and I'd have no problem hanging around for a few extra days to eat. :biggrin:

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

A visit to Franklin Fountain. Here's your Old School soda fountain. These guys make their own ice cream and real old fashioned sundaes, floats and phosphates. Authentic right down to their handlebar mustaches and arm garters.

That's the foodie "Fountain" in Philly? Dang! I was in Philadelphia last month and I instead went to some downtown hotel restaurant called Fountain. Oh well. (I thought it was pretty good, though!)

:biggrin:

• 1 month later...

OK folks. Time to resurrect this thread. Had the pleasure of a "planning" lunch with Chris Hennes and his lovely Mrs. over the holidays and I've worked out a tentative plan for the four day weekend.

Thursday evening - cocktails, craft beer and hors d'oeuvres welcome party at my home base, Tapestry. Everyone can settle in to their hotels, etc.

Friday day - tour of the Italian Market. Lunch at Paesano's for the best sandwiches on earth in a town known for it's sandwiches.

Friday evening - dinner at Zahav, modern Israeli cuisine prepared by one of Philadelphia's finest chefs.

Saturday day - tour of Reading Terminal Market, prep for group pot luck dinner

Saturday evening - Pot luck dinner, hopefully at Reading Terminal's new kitchen space with the best pantry anyone could ask for right outside the door.

Sunday brunch - Szechuan dim sum brunch at Han Dyansty. Han happened into my bar last night and he said he would be delighted to prepare either a dim sum brunch or a tasting menu for our group, no matter how many we are. Awesome!!!

There's plenty of time in between events for folks to go find a cheesesteak, an ice cream float, or have a snack at any of the other excellent dining establishments in our city, visit any of the historic sights, the Art Museum or whatever strikes their fancy. Don't want to overload with too many things to do, but I think this tentative schedule works pretty well.

So what do you all think?? Shall I proceed with the plans? Who's up for letting me and my fellow PhilleGulleteers show off our fair City of Brotherly Eats?? What say ye? I'm game if you are!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Waiting on the actual dates...

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I am new to eG, was drawn in by Modernist Cuisine discussion. Would love to go to Heartland! Do I need to register?

If this year follows past years' practice, the coordinator (Katie, it appears) posts a schedule and asks for replies as to who'll be attending what. At some point there may be a pre-payment request.

Katie, are you asking for who/what now, or just some "this sounds good; go ahead and firm things up" feedback? (I'm guessing the latter, as the specific weekend hasn't been set yet.)

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

August 9-12, 2012???

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Once we've nailed down the dates I will look into speaking to the Convention and Visitors Bureau and/or some friends in the hotel biz about blocking some rooms.

Is everyone cool with August 9-12?? Shall we proceed??

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!