• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can we improve this "noodles & cheese" recipe?

Shel_B

Here's an old family recipe that Mom used to make for us kids. I sometimes make it for my own enjoyment, both of the taste and for nostalgia. However, I'd like to kick it up a notch, although without creating something complicated or too different. So, here's the challenge: What one or two ingredients can be added to this recipe to give it a little more interest? Thanks for any ideas.

Mom's Noodles and Cheese

1 pkg Goodman's wide egg noodles (or comparable brand)

Cottage cheese (large curd, full fat)

margarine (or butter)

fresh ground black pepper (optional, not in Mom's repertoire)

Cook noodles according to directions on package, drain. Put some margarine in the warm pot while noodles are draining, add the noodles back to the pot, turn heat up to med or so, and add a little more margarine if needed. Add as much cottage cheese as you like, stir to mix with noodles and margarine enough to warm the cheese to your preference, season to taste with some pepper and serve on pastel colored Melmac plates or in bowls.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

For some forty years, I've been mixing up cottage cheese with some other tasty stuff to go into that middle space in your glass relish tray at Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. I do serve it cold, and never thought about tossing it with hot noodles, but who knows. Maybe it will give you inspiration.

I call it:

Not Just Cottage Cheese

1 pound cottage cheese, drained

1 cup chopped fresh spinach

1/2 cup chopped green onions

1 tablespoon blue cheese dressing

1 tablespoon Italian dressing

1 tablespoon dill weed or basil

1 tablespoon seasoned salt

Additional salt, black pepper, Tabasco or other hot sauce to taste

Combine all ingredients and chill. Serve with crudites, or crackers, or stuffed into tomatoes or cucumber boats.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Petite diced tomatoes, Old Bay seasoning or Lawrey's Seasoned Salt. Or, leave out the pepper and go to the sweet side with golden raisins and toasted walnuts or pecans.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I would switch to butter, use some ricotta to replace part or all the cottage cheese, add some parmesan, plus some nutmeg, and just a hint of tabasco (not enough to taste, just enough to brighten).

That's what I would do as well. Using real butter sounds essential.

Also try using homemade pasta, ricotta or cottage cheese to elevate the recipe, and add a few ultra thin slices of Parma ham on top.

I would switch to butter, use some ricotta to replace part or all the cottage cheese, add some parmesan, plus some nutmeg, and just a hint of tabasco (not enough to taste, just enough to brighten).

I would do this but make the butter into beurre noisette.

Three people have suggested using butter, which I use butter when making this dish, as noted in the recipe.

I think nutmeg was on my short list of additions to try, along with red peppers. A little bit of blue cheese (thanks, Jaymes!) sounds like a good choice, as does a little parmesan sprinkled on top. I don't think I'd try all of these at the same time, though.

... Shel

This sounds an awful lot like my mothers' noodle kugel. I ended eating enough of it following my Bar Mitzvah (we had pans and pans of leftovers) that I never want to see it again, and therefore don't have the recipe; however, there's loads of 'em all over the internet.

The first thing I'd add is some finely grated lemon zest. Not much, but it really brightens ricotta so I imagine it would work with cottage cheese.

Then I'd throw in a handful of chopped herbs. Parsley, chives, basil, or mint would all work well, depends on what you have on hand or prefer.

Diced pancetta or bacon that has been grilled or fried and stirred through with some chopped tomato, you could wilt some spinach and add some blue cheese too. Sauteed prawns and some raw chilli pepper stirred through it would be good too..Sliced chicken breast and some sauteed mushrooms - the possibilities are literally endless.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I agree with SylviaLovegren's procedure and would also support others who suggest adding different varieties of cheese to add to the flavour profile.

If you wanted to make a sweeter (and probably more Medieval) variant try adding a bit of sugar and some cinnamon to your recipe.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Sliced green onions, dill, and maybe try small curd cottage cheese which I find much better tasting than large curd.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Sliced green onions, dill, and maybe try small curd cottage cheese which I find much better tasting than large curd.

I've tried the dish with small curd cottage cheese, and it doesn't hold together well (for my taste, anyway). I've never observed a taste difference between small and large curd cottage cheese of the same brand and fat content, although I have observed that some small curd cheese is more watery than some large curd cheese.

The green onions, like other suggestions of adding herbs and spinach, seems like something to try. We just got some beautiful green onions at the Farmers' Market yesterday ...

Thanks!

... Shel

Caramelized onions? With sauteed mushrooms?

MelissaH

I love caramelized onions - make 'em several times a year. I thought about mushrooms but perhaps they may add too "earthy" a taste to the dish. Thanks!

... Shel

I agree with SylviaLovegren's procedure and would also support others who suggest adding different varieties of cheese to add to the flavour profile.

If you wanted to make a sweeter (and probably more Medieval) variant try adding a bit of sugar and some cinnamon to your recipe.

Yes to the additional cheese. I'm going to start with Trader Joe's parmesan - I like the flavor even though it's not a Reggiano. Sweet might be a nice flavor profile, but I'm not a big fan of sweet things (except chocolate!) Thanks!

... Shel

I think the beauty of lockshen and cheese (what we call this recipe in my family) is the simplicity. The addition we make to the egg noodles, butter, salt and cottage cheese is sour cream. Adds some creaminess and tang.

Oh my! I thought I was the only person who enjoyed this dish. It is my number 1 go to comfort food. The purist in me wouldn't change a thing, with the exception of using margarine. I use salted butter.

When I was little my mom added to her plate of cottage cheese and noodles a dollop or 2 of sour cream and a sprinkle of paprika. I never liked that addition, but my grandma, mom and brother all enjoyed the additional ingredients.

• 2 weeks later...

This is classic comfort food for me also. My mom's twist was to use medium sized shells instead of the noodles - the cottage cheese would get into the center of the shells so you could get it all in one bite.

Must use real butter and never margarine. Lots of fresh ground black pepper (my grandpa was Hungarian - we put pepper on everything).

Most important for me is the brand of cottage cheese - to me, the only acceptable brand is New York's Friendship brand, preferably Pot Cheese (which is large curd and 2% fat) though either the "regular" 4% fat or the "lowfat" 1% cottage cheeses from Friendship are also acceptable. I find other brands of cottage cheese too soupy for my taste (and mostly tasteless).

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

chopped green olives or perhaps capers - little bits of salty tangy zing in random bits (not enough to be in every bite. that would get boring fast).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.