• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mini Fridge

Jonathan Steven

What is everyone's thoughts out there (wattage/energy bill wise) on additional refrigerator set-ups? I have a couple roomates that use up quite a bit of fridge space with packaged foods and condiment stuff. Selfish me wants space for fermenting bread dough, curing bacon and other projects. Is running a small fridge in my bedroom going to cost me a fortune?

Edited by Jonathan Steven (log)

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Look at the power consumption of two or three small fridges of the type you might get, make an assumption about how much it would have to run and figure two levels-- constant run as a worst case and, say, 50% of the time (probably still high). Figure out how much electricity is costing you and your roommates on a per kilowatt hour basis, and multiply things out.

You may be able to find an energy efficiency tag online, or you could go to an appliance store and look at some; these give the estimated energy usage in kilowatt hours per year.

There could even be some web sites that give numbers on annual cost of running refrigerators.

Dick in Northbrook, IL