• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charcuterie: Lamb BLT from Start to Finish

Sqwertz

This sandwich took me a few days to make but it was well worth it. Plus I have enough lamb bacon left to make another 8 or 10 of these. And plenty of lamb bacon fat for whatever tickles my fancy.

Raw, bone in lamb breast, halved, for $.99/lb.

Lamb Breast - Raw

(Forgive me, I don't know how to intersperse photos and text and this site so I used links)

This was cured in the "basic cure" using the salt-box method with a head of fresh-pressed garlic for 2 days in the fridge. Then wiped down and smoked over pecan for 3 hours at about 165F.

Lamb Breast - Smoked

The lamb was then deboned, sliced, and cooked in the oven at 250F for about 30 minutes (that's about 1/3rd of a boned slab's worth of lamb bacon you see here). Lamb bacon can be tough and rubbery but slow cooking in the oven on a half sheet pan solves that.

Lamb Bacon - Cooked

Then assembled into a Lamb BLT with thin sliced red onion, cucumber, cheese, and mayo (as well as the lettuce and campari tomatoes). Served with garlic olives and peperoncini.

Lamb BLT

It's going to be hard to top this at dinner time.

-sw

Sandwich - Lamb Bacon Onion Cucumber Cheese 2.jpg

I use the Brinkman "Gourmet" (charcoal version). It runs about $60 at Home Depot/Lowes. Any smoker will do, the trick is getting to know it and use it properly. This was done with just a small bit of lump, replenished a few times and with raw pecan wood on top of that to smoulder. It was 104F outside that day so 165F was as low as I could possibly get. And that fluctuated quite a bit. This is not a unit for cold smoking but with patience, you can keep it pretty low and "almost cold smoke".

-sw

Edited by Sqwertz (log)

Bread? Pbbbt. I'm strictly cured meats, terrines, and pickles in my shop. Cheeses and breads are the shops adjacent to mine on either side.

And no, I didn't toast the bread because that's not how it works in my house. And I've already taken a beating for that in another forum. You already have crispy bacon and crispy lettuce. You need fresh, squishy white bread for texture contrast. It should stick to the roof of your mouth. Save that toasted white bread for your peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

-sw

That looks like an awesome sandwich, Sqwertz. Really envy your house as well - would love to live with the forest like that. I am smack bang in the middle of an urban jungle. Concrete everywhere. Ugh :(

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Oh. My. God.

So, suppose I have no smoking apparatus aside from a gas grill (put wet wood chips in a disposable aluminum pan over a burner on one side, meat on the other, with the burner off), with no way to keep the temperature under about 225F. How closely could I approximate this?

Yous should do OK. Maybe just smoke it for an hour to flavor it lightly. The lamb should be as dry as possible and at or near room temp (take it out of the fridge 1.5 hours earlier). Use as indirect heat as possible.

My first take on this the lamb wasn't smoked at all and it was still great stuff. Lamb shouldn't be heavily smoked anyway. I don't know anybody that had tried it and wants to try it again. There's nothing to stop you from trying it before you decide to smoke it or not. I would even SUGGEST doing that as there's still time to leach some salt out of it at that stage - if it's too salty.

Here's some pics of the unsmoked version. Sandwich is with avocado and ranch-mayo.

(And no, I don't own any sort of shop - that was just a figure of speech for a theoretical French market street)

-sw

Lamb Bacon Stacked.jpg

Lamb Bacon - Sliced.jpg

Lamb BLT 1.jpg

Two more notes. It's important to "fry" it up in the oven not too hot an fast. Otherwise it can be slightly tough. My pani fries have nto turned out as tender. There can also be some silverskin hidden in those breasts. Some website out there mentioned how to remove it. I haven't hit any in this batch yet, but I did on the former batch. And FWIW, I did zero research on making lamb bacon until AFTER I started this thread. I like to cook first, and ask questions later if need be.

Also, you just don't want the fat to start seeping out too much when you smoke it. A little fat is OK. The unsmoked version was baked in the oven for 2 hours at 200F to "loosen it up" some. So 225F shouldn't be too hard on it. Bacon is pretty dense stuff and not a lot of water to evaporate.

-sw

• Similar Content

• By daniel123456789876543
      I have been making pancetta for the first time. I have experience with the curing process doing things like bacon and cold smoked salmon in the past but this is the first time I have ever hanged anything.

After a week of curing it has had 11 days  hanging so far (I was planning on taking it to 28 days hanging) Although I foolishly forgot to weigh it. 
      It smells really good like some awesome salami and the outer rim of the pancetta looks lovely and rich and dark.
      It was a recipe by Kuhlman in one of their charcuterie books.
      But when I inspected it today it had the mould growing on it as in the pics below. I have since scrubbed the mould off with white wine vinegar and returned it to the cellar. Is it wise to continue?

Daniel

• By liuzhou
      Following my posting a supermarket bought roast rabbit in the Dinner topic, @Anna N expressed her surprise at my local supermarkets selling such things just like in the west supermarkets sell rotisserie chickens. I promised to photograph the pre-cooked food round these parts.

I can't identify them all, so have fun guessing!

Rabbit

Chicken x 2

Duck

Chicken feet

Duck Feet

Pig's Ear

Pork Intestine Rolls

Stewed River Snails

Stewed Duck Feet (often served with the snails above)

Beef

Pork

Beijing  Duck gets its own counter.

More pre-cooked food to come. Apologies for some bady lit images - I guess the designers didn't figure on nosy foreigners inspecting the goods and disseminating pictures worldwide.
    • By DanM
      Normally, the local market has bresaola in tissue paper thin slices. Today they also had packages in small dice, probably the leftover ends, bits and pieces. Any thoughts on how to enjoy them, besides nibbling on it? 

Thank you!
    • By kayb
      Linguine with Squash, Goat Cheese and Bacon
      Serves 4 as Main Dishor 6 as Side.
      I stumbled on this while looking for recipes with goat cheese. It's from Real Simple (and it is!). I couldn't imagine the combination of flavors, but it was wonderful.

6 slices bacon
      1 2- to 2 ½-pound butternut squash—peeled, seeded, and diced (4 to 5 cups)
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      1-1/2 c chicken broth
      1 tsp kosher salt
      4 oz soft goat cheese, crumbled
      1 lb linguine, cooked
      1 T olive oil
      2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel, then crumble or break into pieces; set aside. Drain all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the skillet. Add the squash and garlic to the skillet and sauté over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the broth and salt. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the squash is cooked through and softened, 20 to 25 minutes. Add half the goat cheese and stir well to combine. Place the cooked linguine in a large bowl. Stir the sauce into the linguine and toss well to coat. Drizzle with the olive oil and add the reserved bacon, the remaining goat cheese, and the pepper. Serve immediately.
      Keywords: Main Dish, Easy, Vegetables, Dinner
      ( RG2158 )
    • By phatj
      Duck Leg Confit Potstickers
      Serves 4 as Appetizer.
      These are seriously decadent potstickers.
      I devised this recipe as part of a Duck Three Ways dinner wherein over the course of three days I dismantled a whole duck using various parts for various things, including rendering fat, making stock and confiting the legs. If you're super-ambitious and do it my way, you'll have duck stock and duck fat on hand as this recipe calls for; otherwise, substitute chicken stock and peanut oil or whatever you have on hand.

2 confited duck legs, bones discarded and meat shredded
      2 c sliced shiitake caps
      1/2 c sliced scallions
      splash fish sauce
      1 tsp grated fresh ginger
      1 tsp grated fresh garlic
      pinch Five Spice powder
      pot sticker wrappers
      3 c duck stock
      3 T duck fat

1. Saute shiitakes in duck fat over high heat until most liquid has evaporated and they are beginning to brown.
      Meanwhile, reduce about 1 C duck stock in a small saucepan over medium heat until it's almost syrupy in consistency and tastes sweet.
      Also, warm a couple of cups of unreduced duck stock over low heat in another saucepan.
      2. Combine mushrooms, duck meat, scallions, fish sauce, ginger, garlic and Five Spice powder in a bowl.
      3. Place a teaspoon or so of the duck mixture in the center of a potsticker wrapper; wet half of the edge with water and seal, pinching and pleating one side.
      If you prepare more potstickers than you're going to want to eat, they can be frozen on cookie sheets then put into freezer bags for later.
      4. When all potstickers are sealed, heat a flat-bottomed pan over medium-high heat, melt enough duck fat to thinly cover the bottom, then add the potstickers.
      5. Cook undisturbed until the bottoms are browned, 3-5 minutes, then enough unreduced duck stock to cover the bottom of the pan about 1/2 inch deep and cover the pan.
      6. Cook until most liquid is absorbed, then uncover and cook until remaining liquid evaporates.
      While potstickers are cooking, make a dipping sauce by combining the reduced duck stock 1:1 with soy sauce, then adding a little rice vinegar, brown sugar (if the duck stock isn't sweet enough), and sesame oil.
      Serve potstickers immediately when done.
      Keywords: Hors d'oeuvre, Appetizer, Intermediate, Duck, Dinner, Chinese
      ( RG2052 )