• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nocino (Green Walnut Liqueur) & Vin de Noix

Jim Dixon

On 7/15/2018 at 4:37 PM, Melde_Made said:

Hello! I hope everyone's nocino season went well this year! A friend and I discovered nocino just in time at the end of June to jump on the nocino train. I was curious if anyone has had any luck using the walnuts for any purpose after they are strained out of the infusion. I have read various uses involving infusing them again in white wine or marsala or preserving them in sherry as dessert/ice cream topping. Has anyone done any of this or anything else successfully?

Can't say as I have. Interesting idea - you could go from Nocino to vin de noix with one batch of nuts. 

Welcome Melde_Made by the way!

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/18/2018 at 8:43 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Can't say as I have. Interesting idea - you could go from Nocino to vin de noix with one batch of nuts. 

Welcome Melde_Made by the way!

Thank you! Well my friend and are trying a few different things with the strained solids, maybe I'll do a write up eventually if anyone is interested.

5 hours ago, Melde_Made said:

Thank you! Well my friend and are trying a few different things with the strained solids, maybe I'll do a write up eventually if anyone is interested.

I certainly would be.

• 10 months later...

Yes, I have used the "used" nuts to make a less potent beverage referred to as "Thrifty Italian" - just Google it for the recipe or ask me if you can''t find it.

On a related subject, I have made nocino, a traditional Italian after-dinner drink using the traditional Modenese recipe (and have also made vin de noix) for years, with immature nuts from a black walnut near my home. Unfortunately that tree is having a bad year this year. I discovered some butternut (Juglans cinerea, aka white walnut) trees in a park nearby and wanted to ask if anyone has ever made "butternut nocino" or if anyone knows if the flesh around the immature butternut is non-toxic like the black walnut is? I have found very few references that say that butternut is not poison (or is otherwise not a good idea to use) so I thought someone here might know for sure, either from research or from practice. Thanks in advance!

Edited by BostonGuido
Fix typs and grammar (log)

• 4 years later...

Hi all-

Bumping this topic as it is that time of year.  I just pulled a couple dozen baby black walnuts off one of my trees and got them quartered and covered with a mix of vodka and everclear.   I might try going the vin de noix route this year rather than just nocino... we'll see. 

• Like 4

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 1 month later...

I did a major pantry cleaning that included dealing with some jars stuffed towards the back - some green walnut pickles that didn't work out so well and some proto-nocino. I think I may have thrown out some nocino thinking it was the pickles but am not sure. We are talking about 5 year old stuff. I finished the one jar of nocino and it is pretty good but a bit too sweet. If I recall I used Wild Turkey 101 because high-proof vodka is unobtainable here.

Guess I should use up what I have before I start a quest to acquire more green walnuts.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.