• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BostonGuido

BostonGuido

Fix typs and grammar

Yes, I have used the "used" nuts to make a less potent beverage referred to as "Thrifty Italian" - just Google it for the recipe or ask me if you can''t find it.

On a related subject, I have made nocino, a traditional Italian after-dinner drink using the traditional Modenese recipe (and have also made vin de noix) for years, with immature nuts from a black walnut near my home. Unfortunately that tree is having a bad year this year. I discovered some butternut (Juglans cinerea, aka white walnut) trees in a park nearby and wanted to ask if anyone has ever made "butternut nocino" or if anyone knows if the flesh around the immature butternut is non-toxic like the black walnut is? I have found very few references that say that butternut is not poison (or is otherwise not a good idea to use) so I thought someone here might know for sure, either from research or from practice. Thanks in advance!

BostonGuido

BostonGuido

Yes, I have used the "used" nuts to make a less potent beverage referred to as "Thrift Italian" - just Google it for the recipe or ask me if ou can''t find it.

On a related subject, I have made nocino, a traditional Italian after-dinner drink using the traditional Modenese recipe (and also vin de noix) for years, with immature nuts from a black walnut near my home. Unfortunately that tree is having a bad year this year. I discovered some butternut (Juglans cinerea aka white walnut) trees in a park nearby and wanted to ask if anyone has ever made "butternut nocino" or knows if the flesh around the immature butternut is non-toxic like the black walnut is? I have found few references to say that butternut is not poison or otherwise not a good idea to use so I thought you might know for sure, either from research or from practice. Thanks in advance!