• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The French Laundry – Knightsbridge

Its less expensive than a trip to the Napa Valley...

The 70-seat dining room will offer a nine-course tasting menu at lunch and dinner, priced at £250 per person.

Hmmm.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I was more amused by this

Hah - brilliant.

£250 might make sense if it was in Paris, but London? Did they look at the price of any of the other top restaurants in the city? You could have the tasting menu at the Ledbury with matched wine for half of that, and I expect given it's a pop-up the service/setting isn't going to be as good.

I'd rather save a bit more and go to the proper restaurant!

The service charge for two, for food alone would pay for two lunches in a number of very nice restaurants. It would also buy one lunch with drinks in Le Gavroche, Sketch, Ducasse etc. The price is off the scale. The French Launderette sounds interesting.

Martin

WOW , Opportunity of a lifetime here , but as for the price...Whoaaa scary , but surely im thinking that this must be inclusive of matching wines.

The reason behind my thoughts is that the Tasting menu - the "Real deal" at Kellers temple in Yountville is put out at $270 dollars which equates to £165.48p....and that also includes service.

So im thinking that the £250 price tag at Keller@Harrods must include the wine flight...and the service charge.Correct me if i`m wrong folks ;-)

I`ll be on the phone to join the queue on booking day.

CumbriafoodieCumbriafoodie

That price tag is way over the top, and even though thankfully we could afford it, we shall not be parting with our nearest and dearest's hard earned inheritance. Its a p-ss take really.

Whoever advised on pitching it that high? Its unreal. This is London not Paris.

On a lighter note I just lurrrv the French Launderette idea. Brilliant.

Good on you Ms Ghayour

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

• 4 weeks later...

Like many on here I don't quibble over food cost at a certain level, but I am bemused as to who thought, and advised, Mr.Keller they'd get away with £250 + wine. Pop-ups are supposed to be exciting experiences that generate positive PR for all involved. Purely based on this alone, I think they've shot themselves in the foot before things have even begun. Odds-on there will be tables going spare...

I'm so torn. When I first saw news of this pop-up which happened to coincide with an already planned trip to London, I had to go. But I will be visiting from NYC and I can go to Per Se anytime at a much lower cost so it seems a bit silly to spend so much. And I've been to TFL so no need to have the experience transplanted although it perhaps would be an interesting comparison.

It just depends on how much you want to spend for an experience that probably won't happen in London again. It's a pretty hefty price, but seeing as I missed per se because it was closed when I was in NY, I'd probably do it. Still, the price seems a little ridiculous.

James.

Managed to get a seat with a few work colleagues so I'm going! £250 is an absurd amount of money but FL has always been one of the restaurants I've dreamed about eating in, so it's worth it to me. Really can't wait.

Managed to get a seat with a few work colleagues so I'm going! £250 is an absurd amount of money but FL has always been one of the restaurants I've dreamed about eating in, so it's worth it to me. Really can't wait.

I have my fingers crossed for you, I really do, but.......

If its less than orgasmic, you will have been ripped off.

Not sure if you could take photos, but I,m hoping yourself or someone else will post a full review including pics up here. Be nice to see why its so bloody expensive.

Enjoy.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

I'll take a camera along in case I can use it then write as much as possible after.

I absolutely understand the concern, the most I've spent on a meal previous to this will have been LCS the last time I went, and that was £60 or so per head. I think this is one of the meals in a lifetime where you virtually disregard the price, though I imagine a lot of people would not agree with that. My tastes have also changed somewhat since that though, especially in appreciation of wine so I think I'll be a bit closer to 'getting it' than I might have been when I first joined egullet.

Either way, I'm sure it'll encourage some interesting debate after it's all happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Cant believe its sooooooo quiet on this French laundry thing....From reading the foodie blogs etc it really doesnt seem like there`s a lot of interest and judging by the price i really can`t blame people.

Personally for me it would be a Simon Rogan at Lenclume / Roganic or a James knappett at the Berkeley occasion instead.Pay the extra on top of the tasting menu and get a few extra courses thrown in...Fantastic.

CumbriafoodieCumbriafoodie

My experience of US restaurants is that they are often overhyped and a bit of a let down. There are very few places I've dined at in the US where I can't find what I believe to be an equivalent or better restaurant in UK or Europe. That's not to say that Keller isn't a good chef but looking at his dishes the cooking does little for me (I haven't eaten there) especially when the ingredients may have flown halfway around the world to be in London or might be 2nd best to the produce he normally uses (I know Harrods claims 95% of the produce used will be the same as the French Laundry). Guest chef events are, on the whole, a poor representation of the food they would normally produce. I would rather take my money and spend it on a 3 star meal in France.

In my book (Chef + unfamiliar kitchen + unfamiliar brigade, different ingredients + exhorbitant price) = steer clear

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

In my book (Chef + unfamiliar kitchen + unfamiliar brigade, different ingredients + exhorbitant price) = steer clear

Agree, the Koffman pop up was fun, but at the end of the day was like being in a marquee at a particularly well catered wedding reception. Minus the disco.

you don't win friends with salad