• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

California Road Trip

nikkib

My Parents are headed to California (amongst others) this September and i was hoping for help with some recommendations of where to eat. They are spending 3 nights in San Fran and will be spending the alst 3 nights in LA (staying on the Queen Mary) They like to eat in mid range restaurants with a good atmosphere, where they can feel like locals. Needless to say good food is a must... Any advice from all you lovely Egulleters would be much appreciated.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

They arrive in San Franthen head to yosemite, lake tahoe, the grand canyon and Vegas before heading to LA... There is such a wealth of restaurants to choose from!!

Ok so for San Fran am thinking Baker and banker, Frances, Sons and daughters and either Sams Grill or the Swan Depot Oyster Barn along with cocktails at bourbon and branch and Tommys - what about LA? Anyone got any favourites there - they are staying on the Queen Mary but will have a car.... Thanks!

If you are traveling on 101 the Paso Robles area is about halfway between SF & LA. In Paso you can stop at Artisan for a civilized lunch or go south a few miles and try Pier 46 seafood market that serves up nice lunches as well. Their Ahi sashimi tacos w/asian slaw stand out or, across the parking lot is 15 degrees C a small wine shop/deli that does some very nice tapa's, and knowledgable staff and a good wine selection, local and otherwise.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

Ok so for San Fran am thinking Baker and banker, Frances, Sons and daughters and either Sams Grill or the Swan Depot Oyster Barn along with cocktails at bourbon and branch and Tommys - what about LA? Anyone got any favourites there - they are staying on the Queen Mary but will have a car.... Thanks!

There are so many interesting restaurants in LA. A few of my curent favorites are Pizzeria Mozza (the Nancy Silverton/Mario Batali place), Suzanne Goin's restaurant and wine bar A.O.C., and Le Pain Quotidien in West Hollywood for breakfast.

You can look at this fairly recent thread for more suggestions about California restaurants.

We're big fans of Highway 1 and have had several good meals in Big Sur. Specifically at Nepenthe and Cafe Kevah (http://www.nepenthebigsur.com). Outdoor dining with a great ocean view is really hard to beat.

It doesn't sound like your folks will be traveling along the coast but I figured it might still be worth mentioning.

Also my wife and I will be taking a similar trip in November driving down the coastal highway from Portland to San Diego. I will be checking out the San Francisco thread that weinno mentioned and would appreciate any recommendations for north of San Francisco and Oregon.

I'm especially interested in any sort of brewpubs in that route!

Thanks for all the advice, My mum will definitely want to check out Pain Quotidien as we lived in Belgium for years and the company originated there,the otehr suggestions look graet too - i think they will be travelling the coastal road ( my geography is pretty horrific so i am sure i have their route totally confused but i am sure my father has it all under control!) Thanks again!

Any advice for places in Monterey? Just found out they have 2 nights there as well....

I know it's lowbrow, but if you find yourself out on the wharf one day, I've had some of the most ethereal fried squid of my life at one of the little "shacks" that dot the pier. The squid were probably out of the bay within the preceding 12 hours and were a revelation.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My parents are up for trying most things - and fresh seafood is never low brow (especially if there is a nice glass of wine or an ice cold beer involved) ;-) Thanks for all teh suggestions, my Dads itinery is filling up and is planned with military precision so my mother is delighted to have some nice restaurants to look forward to amongst all the rigorous planning!