• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lawry's Seasoned Salt

Fat Guy

I love this stuff. I'm probably not supposed to, but I think it makes things like burgers taste much better. So I'm wondering, is it bad? And also, is it possible to reverse engineer something better?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I love it on fries dipped in mayo. I like the Penzeys brand better though. Not my highest culinary peak, but tasty nonetheless. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to make some for yourself. Presumably it falls into the category of added sodium, which isn't the best thing for everyone, but I don't think there's anything truly horrible in it.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Prolly got this from Rec.food.cooking way way back in the day. It's prolly not exactly what you want but might make a good base to experiment with.

"Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning

Recipe By : Tony Chachere

Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

26 ounces salt

1 1/2 ounces black pepper -- ground

2 ounces red pepper -- ground

1 ounce garlic powder -- pure

1 ounce chili powder

1 ounce Monosodium glutamate -- (Accent)

Mix well and use like salt. When it's salty enough, it's seasoned to

perfection. For barbeque and fried foods: Season food all over. Cook as

usual.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Tony Chachere is from Opelousas, Louisiana - my hometown. I was 11

years old

when his first cookbook came out. This is the first recipe in his "Cajun

Country Cookbook". In

the cookbook, he says "THIS RECIPE IS WORTH THE PRICE OF THE BOOK". He's

right

Right after the cookbook came out, everyone was making this and storing it

in those large plastic ice cream cartons. Within a short while, he started

marketing this himself. Now you can find the green cans of this stuff all

over the country. Where I'm from, this is the only seasoning anyone uses.

That sounds kind of strange, but try it and you'll see. It's been a

standard around my house for over 20 years."

What is the name on Tony's seasoning and where can you get it? Thanks in advance.

Years ago Lawry's made their seasoning with salt and salt free. They discontinued the salt free version some years ago. I wish they still had it.

Edited by mbhank (log)

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

The Tony Chachere's in my pantry is not an ingredient I would sub for Lawry's seasoning salt as it is much less of a presence - I hate to use the word but yes much less of an umami hit. I do not have the big "L" in my cupboard now though I do include it in the "first kitchen kit" for the teens when they move out. Dad would bring home lovely beef and mom seasoned it with Lawry's (sometimes with lemon pepper as well) and broiled or roasted depending on the cut. Every kid in the neighborhood came sniffing by and begged for invites. I think it has a bit of sugar.

I thought it might be a base to see how these industrial seasonings were built, modify to your hearts content. Start with the Salt and MSG, bump it up a bit. Add paprika, onion powder ect.. But really most of those seasonings use a finer grind of salt than table, so its hard to imitate. YMMV

Haven't touched it for years, but it was a staple in our house and my grandmother's house growing up. There's still a Lawry's Steakhouse in Las Vegas, but I haven't tried it.

Lawry's The Prime Rib has a few locations, including the one in Las Vegas (it's an art deco treasure and the food is very good).

I can taste the celery salt in the Seasoned Salt, which is one of the reasons why I like it. And it must have some sort of MSG in it because it's always so umami-yummy.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

It's been years but I bet somewhere in this house I could find a bottle of now-caked Lawry's. It's one of those things that over-stayed its welcome. Not sure I would be willing to give it a second chance............ Like Montreal Steak seasoning I got sick of it long before others were willing to move on.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I use it because with the intensity of flavor, I use less salt - ordered by my internist.

It works nicely in marinades besides just use as a seasoning.

I buy it at Sam's Club in the 40-ounce container

It is also available at Smart & Final, Costco and other vendors at a much better price than in supermarkets.

Recently I saw it in my local Big Lots in the 40-ounce size but as I did not need any at the time, didn't buy and they sold out rapidly.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, the price is right and with free shipping, a bargain

when compared to the small bottles sold in grocery stores.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wow

who knew that The Amazon had a lifetime supply of Spices!

Old Bay ??? etc

thanks for this tip

seal them up with your SV rig and put them in the freezer

you will eventually save enough for a Really Good Chasblis

(Not Available In Canada tx = 2 x)

you then need two life times!

I love me some orange salt! I carry it in my purse just in case there might be mashed potatoes somewhere along the way! I am also a big fan of Lawry's Seasoned Pepper.

The Seasoned Salt ingredients are as follows:

Salt, Sugar, Spices (including Paprika and Turmeric), Onion, Cornstarch, Garlic, Tricalcium Phosphate (prevents caking), Paprika Oleoresin (for color), Natural Flavor.

Please note that there is no MSG! They also do a 25% less sodium version. You could probably reverse engineer it, but what would be the point? You'd just be mixing a bunch of dried stuff together to get the same results, n'est pas?

To steal a line from the granny in the Frank's ads, I put that sh*t on EVERYTHING!!

Edited by Badiane (log)

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I'm a big fan of Lawry's seasoned salt. I use it a lot on burgers and sometimes a bit on steaks. I've got the big container form Costco. If you live in a city with a Lawry's restaurant you can sign up for their rewards system or whatever and they will send you a small jar on your birthday for eating there.

I thought it might be a base to see how these industrial seasonings were built, modify to your hearts content. Start with the Salt and MSG, bump it up a bit. Add paprika, onion powder ect.. But really most of those seasonings use a finer grind of salt than table, so its hard to imitate. YMMV

I use all that plus celery salt,and garlic powder,grated onion powder,andgrind it in the electric cofee mill so its fine enough....

Bud

Every so often I have a craving for some deep fried chicken wings and blue cheese dressing. I want the wings just like my dad used to bring home from the bar around the corner when we were kids. Turned out that the wings were deep fried then sprinkled with Lawry's seasoned salt!!! That's all!!! I can do that! AND I do! Keep the stuff around just for when the craving hits! Sort of a staple for football parties now, as well.

Donna

I love Lawrys! I always use it in burgers, and to me steak just isn't complete without being completely covered in Lawry's before grilling (but that's probably because my dad always put it on our London Broil growing up...)

The Seasoned Salt ingredients are as follows:

Salt, Sugar, Spices (including Paprika and Turmeric), Onion, Cornstarch, Garlic, Tricalcium Phosphate (prevents caking), Paprika Oleoresin (for color), Natural Flavor.

Please note that there is no MSG!

It's there. Under "Natural Flavor". They don't have to call it MSG.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

It actually says, at least on the bottle I have in my purse, that there is no MSG in the product. Either way, I'm still eating it :smile:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

It has to be Lawry's on avocado, cottage cheese, and grilled chicken thighs. I'll have to try it on burgers, steak, etc. :biggrin:

And raw mushrooms, cauliflower, summer squash...

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"