• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foolproof fish dishes for the landlocked

Fat Guy

Lemon-Pepper Tilapia

Zest of three lemons

Freshly-ground black pepper to taste

Olive oil to moisten

Lemon juice

Rub tilapia or similar fillets gently with the lemon pepper mixture, and let sit for 30 minutes or so.

Place on a non-stick baking sheet and bake about 10 minutes at 400F, brushing with juice halfway through.

This may not be exactly what is sought, but there a lot of wonderful uses in Mediterranean cultures for things like anchovies and sardines that do well in cans (and the aforementioned salt cod). A little savory for the fish-phobic but huge flavor and sardines and anchovies have the additional benefit of being pretty much the most sustainable wild fish there are. Things like Spaghetti Puttanesca and Tapenade should be accessible to even novice cooks.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

If they have access to a grill I would suggest Cedar Plank Salmon. Salt, Pepper, Mustard and Brown sugar is all I put on it. Another good alternative is Swai. I have seen it turning up in my grocery stores and I live in rural Wisconsin. They sell it IQF, it is affordable, and it is easy and versatile to cook with. It is sweeter and milder than regular catfish. I will do a simple pan fry and coat with a simple sauce.