• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetable Soup

My friends vacationed Ireland and Scotland for 2 weeks and came back raving of a vegetable soup that they ate a lot of. They described as a thick puree that ranged from a yellowish to tan. I'm guessing it's something like turnips, parsnips, leeks, potatoes, or something similar. Anyone have any idea on a recipe?

Sounds like a pretty much standard vegetable soup to me. Sweat off whatever veg you have. If it was me, I'd always have carrot, onion and celery in there, together with whatever else by way of root vegetables had looked good (or, more usual in this house - whatever was lurking in the veg rack and looked a bit past its prime). Cook them in stock (we always have a supply in the freezer from, say, cooking a ham)and then blitz in a blender. Or, indeed, don't blitz them so you have a lighter texture but with bits in it.

John Hartley

Thanks for the thoughts. Vegetable soup in the States tends to be cubes of carrot, potato, and celery, with maybe some green beans, corn and peas in a beef broth. I wanted to make this for them the next time they came over for dinner. I'll grab a what you mentioned and then maybe a potato, turnips or parsnips. If there are things I shouldn't put together, please let me know.

I agree with harters on method (basically a thick pureed root vegetable soup) but as helenjp identidied it almost certainly will have had swede in it for that colour and it was after all consumed in scotland the home of 'neeps' (I doubt it will have had any peppers/tomatoes/pulses in it, but maybe potatoes to add thickness).

• 7 months later...

When i make vegetable soup, I normally take whatever root veg I have, carrots, onions etc. I like to add a squash of some sort, and then cook in some stock before blending down. However, I always have a few lentils in there, and some chopped and sauteed bacon.

It will taste amazing! you can even chuck a couple of potatoes in it too, which is common up north.