• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta sauce with green peppers

Chris Hennes

Roast 'em, and include cumin in the sauce.

Edit: To clarify, your question made me think of a salad I had once, with roasted green peppers (why is it we always roast only the red ones?), cumin, cayenne and peaches. I was assuming the peaches wouldn't be a good fit with the pasta, though.

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Chris,

I always add green peppers to my spaghetti sauce (along with onions, garlic, and many other things, of course). When my kids were young (and couldn't stand the taste of green peppers), I started peeling the peppers before chopping, sauteing, and building the sauce. It seems to mellow them quite a bit and adds more of an 'essence' than a dominance of flavor. They pretty much melt into the sauce as they cook. Win win for all of us!

I like to cut the tops and bottoms off them and open the cylinder out flat. Remove the membranes and "flatten" the surface using a knife to make it a uniform thickness. Then I slice them thinly in long strips to make bell pepper "noodles" that are a similar thickness to the pasta I am using. I have a standard tomato sauce heated and ready to go. Flash fry the bell pepper "noodles", season them with salt and mix them with the just cooked pasta in a bowl so that the noodles and peppers are mixed well. Plate and serve with the tomato sauce on top, a shot of olive oil.

Forget the pasta, and stuff 'em with a seasoned rice mixture, then bake (well, oven-braise, really) until the peppers are tender. Stuffed peppers are beloved in south Louisiana....you can use a dirty-rice style mixture, or rice & shrimp, or even bread crumbs and crabmeat. An eggplant & ground beef mixture is another common stuffing variant, topped with a little grated parmesan; here's a Paul Prudhomme version of the eggplant-stuffed kind: http://chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID=300&view=441

There's a Neapolitan recipe that stuffs roasted, skinned peppers with spaghetti, capers, black olives, and tomato sauce. Sort of an inverse of your original question.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog