• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants near Wrigley field or anywhere on the north side?

T Raveret

Not from Chicago driving down from Milwaukee to take our 25 year old daughter for her birthday to see Paul McCartney at Wrigley field and looking for suggestions of nice places open on Monday for an early dinner around 5'ish.

Made reservations at Bistro Campagne which is only a couple miles away and we've eaten there but it was 3-4 years ago and were vary happy but wondering if anyone has some nice north side favorites we should consider? Shes pretty open minded when it comes to food so were open to just about anything but don't want it to get much above 25/30 for an entree.

Don't necessarily want to drive all the way downtown if we don't need to but will consider all options.. Wanted to take her to Fontera grill but they are closed on Mondays.

Thanks

Socca is very good, and has the advantage of being walking distance from Wrigley. (Warning: their web site has music; hit the mute button before you click.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Thought I had the perfect backup to Frontera...Mixteco Grill, but yeah, it's closed on Monday, too.

Near Wrigley: Authentic Thai food at TAC Quick (3930 N. Sheridan) or Neopolitan pizza at Spacca Napoli (1769 W. Sunnyside)

Between Milwaukee & Wrigley: Katsu (2651 W Peterson Ave) is just about the only sushi place I'll recommend in Chicago.

If you're willing to head south of Addison, you've got a lot more options. I really like The Bristol (2152 N Damen Ave) and it's convenient to the highway.

Bistro Campagne will always have a soft spot in my heart, I took my wife there on our first date, but it's gone down hill over the past few years.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

will definately consider south of addison and leaning away from sushi or bistro campoagne...she loves mexican and asked possibly for a seafood place (but really need moderately priced as the tickets were alot a we need to keep it within reason.

Thanks!

Sadly, pretty much every finer dining Mexican restaurant in town has chosen Monday as their day off.

It it must be something south of the border, there's Paul Kahan's Big Star (1531 N. Damen Ave), but that's more of a bar than a restaurant most times of the day, as well as countless other taquerias. I'm quite fond of the Costa Rican food at Irazu (1865 N. Milwaukee Ave). These are not white tablecloth (or any tablecloth, really) types of places.

If it's seafood you're after, I'd stop in Wheeling at Bob Chinn's (393 S. Milwaukee Ave in Wheeling, IL). A huge place, and kitschy as anything, but there's no fresher seafood for the price in the Midwest. The crab is phenomenal.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Walking distance from Wrigley is Deleece on Southport, a very affordable contemporary American bistro which is absolutely outstanding. Note - right now they are just north of Irving Park in the 4000 block, but later this summer they will be moving to the 3700 block of Southport.

For seafood on the way from Milwaukee, I'd strongly recommend Mitchell's Fish Market in Glenview. They have the freshest fish and really great preparations; I particularly recommend the kung pao calamari and anything done shang hai style. AVOID Bob Chinn's, whose preparations give you a choice between bland and overgarlicked.

For Mexican, many places are closed on Mondays as noted above, but Salpicon in Old Town is open.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Sadly Sunday night i had a touch of food poisining from a family picnic and had to send the wife and daughter on their own...they insisted on just walking and found a Mexican small plate dining that suited their needs but wasn't astounding...oh well another trip !! I do get down that way a fair bit and appreciate all the input!!

What a divergent opinion on Bob Chin's never ate there had friends who loved it and have been tempted to try. We have a Mitchells in Milwaukee and I may have to try that but I'm usually so anti chain that it could keep me out of both places!! lol

Again appreciate all the input as we get down to this area for different things occasionally....really sad to hear that Bistro Campange has gone downhill as I have very fond memories of it.

Sorry to hear, T Raveret.

Just to be clear, Chinn's is not really a chain. There have been affiliated restaurants owned by family members, but I don't believe any of them still exist. I understand that many are put off by the scene (for example, nsxtasy avoids Paul Kahan's restaurants because he finds them too loud, while wild horses couldn't drag me out of The Publican, no matter the decibel level), so if that's a concern, I certainly appreciate the point of view. As with any place as large as Chinn's, that does their kind of volume, the menu has its landmines. However, I can't understand anyone complaining that their steamed king crab legs are "bland [or] overgarlicked". They are succulent and sweet, and like most of the best, freshest seafood preparations, they don't really need a thing. However, a little butter never hurt.

Yes, it's too bad about BC. It's no longer 'destination dining' but that's not to say it's no longer worth visiting. If you're in the area, they can still put out very respectable food. Just don't expect the heights of years past.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

DeVoto, The Hour

I understand that many are put off by the scene (for example, nsxtasy avoids Paul Kahan's restaurants because he finds them too loud, while wild horses couldn't drag me out of The Publican, no matter the decibel level)

I don't avoid Kahan's restaurants. I try them. In the case of the Publican, the noise level was indeed too loud, one of the loudest I've ever been inside. But that wasn't the only thing I didn't like. The food varied, with some really excellent items (mussels), some that were disappointing (pork rinds), and some that were downright dreadful (desserts). And I'd hate to get stuck at one of those godawful communal tables, although you have a good chance of avoiding them if you mention a preference when making a reservation. Wild horses couldn't drag me back. But I'll try other Kahan restaurants to see for myself whether or not I like them. (FWIW, I like Blackbird quite a bit, and don't care for Avec - both largely, but not entirely, based on the food.)

Edited by nsxtasy (log)