• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2012 Candy and Confection Conference

RobertM

I just drove down to the area. Here are directions to Springhill Suites heading SOUTH on I-95

Take 95 South to exit 158B Prince William Parkway; Manassas Virginia (don't forget, this is Virginia, 158B is before the 158A exit). As you're driving down 95 South, you'll see signs notifying you that Stratford University is at Exit 158B.

Exit 158B will put you onto the Prince William Parkway. Once you get off 95S, start to head into the far left lane. At the second traffic light, turn Left onto Crossing Place.

This is where (in my mind) it get's "odd" because it will look like you're heading into a parking lot for a strip mall (Michaels; Office Depot; Bed, Bath & Beyond; and Babies R Us).

When you are on Crossing Place, go to the Stop Sign and Turn Left. (You can only turn left or right, there is a huge wall in front of you)

Just stay on that "road" that you just turned onto. You'll cross over a Speed Hump, you will pass a Courtyard by Marriott on your left (the aforementioned Mall will be on your right) and the SpringHill Suites by Marriott will be directly in front of you, through a gate.

Directions from SpringHill Suites to Stratford University

Exit the hotel (strip mall) via the same road you came in on. There is a traffic light on Crossing Place and Prince William Parkway. Turn Left at that light (this puts you ON Prince William Parkway).

At the NEXT Light (Telegraph Road) Turn Left (There is a left hand Turn Lane). Proceed 1 mile to Stratford University on your right. Park anywhere. Enter the building and go to the Third Floor and look for the eGullet 2012 Confectioners Conference signs.

Yes, I'm coming, booked the room and transportation

Chris Hennes (+1)

Kerry Beal

Chocolot

curls (+1 for Saturday Dinner)

gfron1

Gene

lironp

lebowits (+1 for Saturday Dinner)

patti_h (+1)

chocoera (+1)

Mette

Tikidoc (+1)

Sue Casey

LindaS

Viktoria

Sarahdwyer

Prabha (+ 1 for Saturday Dinner)

Carsondial (+1)

Fran

Friday (Daytime activity)

Kerry Beal

curls

Mette

Chocolot

Prabha

Pretty Definite Attendees

Robdoc000

Maybe

Lisa Shock

prasantrin

MelissaH

Lior - pending Lottery ticket(s)

AnythingButPlainChocolate

Genkinaonna

MarkIsComing

Can't Make it

mjx +1

mkayahara

YetiChocolates

Ruth Wells

Kevin Liu

nolnacs

MariaP

DianaM

Is there any equipment it will be absolutely necessary for me to bring (I'd rather fill the suitcase with samples and borrow moulds, scrapers etc)? And I'm hoping to get rides between the hotel and the college, as I will not have a car...

I'm so excited!

There is a local restaurant named East Moon Asian Bistro that has been recommended to me for a Friday night dinner before our Meet & Greet - anyone interested? It's about 2 miles from the hotel

There is a local restaurant named East Moon Asian Bistro that has been recommended to me for a Friday night dinner before our Meet & Greet - anyone interested? It's about 2 miles from the hotel

Sounds good to me!

Sounds good to me too.

Why dont wevshhot for 7:00 for our Friday get together? One thing everyone from out of town should beware!!!!! Friday night rush hour in this area is horrible and there is no real ability to predict said traffic; so if we all know that ahead of time we can adjust accordingly.

Does anyone have an aversion of getting started early on Saturday morning? Say about 8:30?

I think everyone is going to be in for a treat with Joe Sofia from Cargill. I just heard what he will be showing us next weekend and it's going to be amazing.

With that in mind, here is the TENTATIVE schedule that I'm working on in my head

Given that schedules never seem to flow the way they are planned, I would like to keep the weekend fluid, allowing for longer or alternative subjects.

I shall also say that we'll have at least one airbrush set up for mold decorating, we have a plethora of flavors to use, and as typical, there are several different "things" going on at once during the weekend (with the exception of when Joe is with us).

Friday, March 16

Afternoon still to be determined

Friday evening - for those wishing to go to the East Moon Asian Bistro

7:00 - ? Meet and Greet, Chocolate sharing, Lobby of the Springhill Suites

Saturday, March 17

8:30 - ~12:00: Joe Sofia/Cargill

LUNCH

12:30 - 5:00: Hands on/Break out sessions

to include

Basic Tempering (if needed)

Chocolate Centerpiece Demo

(with the above in mind, we can still make some other pieces in conjunction with the hands on portion, for example, we could make some caramel (I'll have my now eGullet famous caramel "pot"; we could make some marshmallow; and I'll bring my copper kettle to make some toffee (if anyone wants)

Saturday evening

Group Conference dinner, hosted by Stratford University

Sunday

8:30 - Joe Sofia (cutting/dipping a slabbed confection)

Lunch

More hands on work to include finishing Saturdays work,

Pate de fruit

use of a Thermomix

3:00 - clean up, adjourn,

Thoughts? Input? This is YOUR conference, please don't be shy.

Bob

Edited by RobertM (log)

I can bring an airbrush/compressor. I hadn't planned on getting one yet, but our local Michael's is clearing out all their airbrush stuff (big time clearance), so I got a Badger Whirlwind compressor and 250 airbrush for a total of about $80. I have an artistic kid, so I figure she can get use out of it even if I find I'm no good at the chocolate decorating!

For those in the market, you might want to check out your local Michael's. I'm not sure if they are all getting rid of this stuff, but I know all of them in the Richmond area are.

Jess

As an update to the schedule -

The "Chocolate Centerpiece Demo" is being designed as a Hands On group activity - it's not just a "lecture" for example, getting a demo of flower making and then have you make your own beautiful chocolate flowers -

tikidoc - thanks for the offer - I appreciate it.

I'm all for getting the most out of the days Sat and Sun so put me down for an early start. And as I'm very much from out of town, any restaurant for Friday evening is fine by me.

I'm sure I'll learn loads no matter what he topic, but i especially like the idea of breakouts.

I can bring an airbrush/compressor. I hadn't planned on getting one yet, but our local Michael's is clearing out all their airbrush stuff (big time clearance), so I got a Badger Whirlwind compressor and 250 airbrush for a total of about $80. I have an artistic kid, so I figure she can get use out of it even if I find I'm no good at the chocolate decorating!

For those in the market, you might want to check out your local Michael's. I'm not sure if they are all getting rid of this stuff, but I know all of them in the Richmond area are.

Jess

Thanks for the tip Tikidoc. Alas, not every Michael's is running an airbrush clearance sale. I just checked the Reston Virginia store and they are still selling at full price.

Can buy with the 40% off coupon but will wait and see if I can get a better deal.

I'd offer to get more and bring them up if anyone wanted one, but I got the last compressor in town. I can check if there are more of the 250s around if anyone wants.

I like the idea of breakouts too.

Edited by tikidoc (log)

This sounds great! I just received my new airbrush set, so I can bring that. Don't have a compressor, but I'm going to check out Michaels today!

ETA: Curls, you beat me to Michaels. I'm in Reston too. So no cut price compressor :sad:

Edited by Prabha (log)