• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2012 Candy and Confection Conference

RobertM

Hi guys, looks like I will be able to come, and my wife would like to take part too. How do we go about getting tickets for the actual conference, or do we pay there?

(also, I can bring my copy of the Morato book to save Kerry some luggage (we'll be driving up), plus I also have a copy of Minifie's Chocolate, Cocoa and Confectionery if anybody is interested in having a look at that!)

Erika- those pictures are beatiful, and that truffle looks great! Could you say what the flavor and decoration is?

carsondial- I would love to have a look at Minifie's book

Does anyone have any interest in Valrhona's new dessert book, or William Curley's book?

I know we are approaching the last minute, but it looks like the stars will align and I will be able to attend the conference. I won't need to worry about a hotel room as my sister lives nearby. Is it too late to include me? Actually, there might be two of us from this neck of the woods who want to attend.

Chris - based on the numbers I believe the cost will be in the neighborhood of $150/per, which will include the costs for lunch on Saturday and Sunday as well as dinner Saturday night.

Fran; there is always room for more! Welcome

Yes, I'm coming, booked the room and transportation

Chris Hennes (+1)

Kerry Beal

Chocolot

curls

gfron1

Gene

lironp

lebowits

patti_h (+1)

chocoera

Mette

Tikidoc +1

Sue Casey

LindaS

Viktoria

Sarahdwyer

Prabha

Carsondial (+1)

Fran

Friday (Daytime activity)

Kerry Beal

curls

Mette

Chocolot

Lebowits

Pretty Definite Attendees

Robdoc000

Maybe

Lisa Shock

prasantrin

MelissaH

DianaM

Lior - pending Lottery ticket(s)

AnythingButPlainChocolate

Genkinaonna

MarkIsComing

Carsondial

Can't Make it

mjx +1

mkayahara

YetiChocolates

Ruth Wells

Kevin Liu

nolnacs

MariaP

Chris Hennes (+1)

Kerry Beal

Chocolot

curls

gfron1

Gene

lironp

lebowits

patti_h (+1)

chocoera

Mette

Tikidoc +1

Sue Casey

LindaS

Viktoria

Sarahdwyer

Prabha

Carsondial (+1)

Fran

Friday (Daytime activity)

Kerry Beal

curls

Mette

Chocolot

Lebowits

Pretty Definite Attendees

Robdoc000

Maybe

Lisa Shock

prasantrin

MelissaH

DianaM

Lior - pending Lottery ticket(s)

AnythingButPlainChocolate

Genkinaonna

MarkIsComing

Carsondial

Can't Make it

mjx +1

mkayahara

YetiChocolates

Ruth Wells

Kevin Liu

nolnacs

MariaP

RobertM - Don't put me down as a definite for Friday afternoon yet. I'll definitely see you Friday morning to drop off some gear, but I then have to pick up a couple of folks at the airport. Not sure what will happen then.

Is there a definite plan for Friday afternoon? I seem to have missed it in the forum.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

No definite plans yet for Friday afternoon...I'm still pursuing a couple of leads and ideas. Once anything is assured, I will post here, so watch this space for upcoming announcements....

There is a lovely small town about 2 or 3 miles away from the hotel where the majority of people will be staying, it's called Occoquan. There are two restaurants in town, one the Occoquan Inn, the other Sea and Sea (I believe). I've never eaten there and I don't wish to put my reputation on the line (not that I have much of one...), but, would those coming Friday want me to see if they could seat us for dinner prior to the get together? Any costs for Friday dinner would not be included in the cost of the conference -

With that said, there are a TON of restaurants nearby. Mostly they are chain restaurants, (Smokey Bones, Macaroni Grill, Daves Bar-B-Que; Hooters; Uno; Olive Garden, Carrabbas, South of the Border...and the list goes on) but some are not bad. Would everyone like me to post the nearby one's? Is anyone interested in having dinner on Friday night or do we just want to go on our own and meet at the hotel???? Bombard me with your thoughts....

I think we'd be up for dinner if the traffic isn't bad and we get out of the office at a reasonable time. Given what I95 is usually like, I'm not counting on it. More room for wine and chocolate! On the chance we do make it, I would vote for non-chain.

Chocoera, that shoe is amazing!

Jess

I'm in for the Friday afternoon activity, whatever that is. My husband and I will also be joining everyone for dinner and post-dinner hanging out. I vote for non-chain restaurants if possible.

Hello everyone,

Robert, unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the conference. My plans did not work out the way I'd hoped, so I'll have to content myself with enviously watching from the sidelines. :sad:

To the people who go for the first time this year, you guys are in for a treat! The conference is such a great experience, and an incredible opportunity to learn from people who share the same obsession.

Have fun, and please report on your adventures, so that the rest of us may enjoy the conference vicariously through your stories!

DianaM

Chris - based on the numbers I believe the cost will be in the neighborhood of $150/per, which will include the costs for lunch on Saturday and Sunday as well as dinner Saturday night.

Fran; there is always room for more! Welcome

Bob, have you had a chance to figure out the cost for Saturday dinner for guests of the conference attendees?

Shall add it to the pile.

I hope you have a big car...

It's amazing what I can get in to it. It's the unpacking all the stuff into the hotel room that I'm worrying about!

Erika- those pictures are beatiful, and that truffle looks great! Could you say what the flavor and decoration is?

carsondial- I would love to have a look at Minifie's book

Does anyone have any interest in Valrhona's new dessert book, or William Curley's book?

thank you so much ;0) truffle is hollow shell filled with marsh cream (basic marsh recipe minus the gelatin) filled with a salted caramel capped off with mk choc and topped with peanut butter crack caramel shards (cook caramel dk amber, add some pb, spread thin, chop up for a tasty and textural garnish) we call it the salty dog, (not the drink) but like our fudge the salty dog (the fudge is like a salted nut roll with caramel)

xoxo

Chris Hennes (+1)

Kerry Beal

Chocolot

curls (+1 for Saturday Dinner)

gfron1

Gene

lironp

lebowits (+1 for Saturday Dinner)

patti_h (+1)

chocoera (+1)