• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2012 Candy and Confection Conference

RobertM

Hi,

what time would the meet end on the sunday? Actually joining is looking hopeful (Yes!) so I'm scouting out flights, and wonder whether it'd be better to leave Sunday late afternoon or Monday.

Won't be able to bring much in the way of books and only a small box of samles but still....

Love to read the I Bought Tickets posts; I'm out of town and working of my phone; rest assured that as soon as possible I will update the listing of who is coming! I'm getting excited!!!!!

Think you could pack a small party keg of beer? :smile:

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Rob (gfron1) is looking to share a ride from the airport (Regan) Friday at 7 pm and out again Monday for a 7 am flight. Also to share a room with a non smoking chocolate lover.

Bob - can we schedule a chunk of time for the showpiece demo?

Please put me on the "maybe" list. The call schedule for that weekend is not made yet, and I'm waiting to see if I have to work. I'm just down the road in the Richmond area, so it looks like a fun opportunity.

ETA Pretty much a beginner with candy here, I make caramel, fairly basic truffles and toffee for holidays, and have made marshmallows a half dozen times or so. The extent of my skill with chocolate is that I can successfully temper it. Oh, and I have made cajeta on occasion (we have goats, so will be overrun with milk again in a couple months).

Will this be worthwhile, or totally over my head?

Edited by tikidoc (log)

Tiki; we have people come with ALL skill levels and everyone is welcome. I'm sure you would come away with new information and could teach us something as well. I hope your schedule allows you to drive on up

Tiki; we have people come with ALL skill levels and everyone is welcome. I'm sure you would come away with new information and could teach us something as well. I hope your schedule allows you to drive on up

Ha, about raising goats, maybe, about candy making, I doubt it! But it sounds fun. Hopefully, other newbs are planning to go. Will update when the call schedule comes out. Is there a date that we need to let you know by?

I reset my password so I could finally log in. Booked my room today so I will be there.

For those of you who are thinking of attending but are worried about your experience level, don’t be. Last year I went with no experience and had an amazing time. I found that everyone was eager to help, explain things and teach. You will learn more than you think you will.

I vote for dinner at the school. It will give us more time to work on our projects or demos. A full day in the kitchen then walking down the hall for dinner was perfect last year.

Robert, last year, a Callebaut rep was there with all kinds of chocolate for us to use. What is the plan for chocolate this year?

Looking forward to the conference and reconnecting with all of you from last year.

OK, call schedule is out and I'm in! Will not be there Friday night. I live in the Richmond area so will plan to drive up early Saturday morning. A friend from work is thinking about joining me, I'll update when she decides for sure.

This really sounds fun!!!

Jess