• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2012 Candy and Confection Conference

RobertM

In my haste to say something (finally) about the school, I failed to welcome both Robdoc000 and Viktoria to "the group"; Everyone is welcome to join us, we have a great time together and we learn so very much from each other.

Pat - when you say the last two weeks of March, is that the 24th and the 31st? We missed you a lot this past spring and are really hoping you can join us in 2012, it's not the same without you (I leave on my xtabentun hunting mission next Tuesday...)

Pat - when you say the last two weeks of March, is that the 24th and the 31st? We missed you a lot this past spring and are really hoping you can join us in 2012, it's not the same without you (I leave on my xtabentun hunting mission next Tuesday...)

Yes, the weekends of the 24th and 31st are both still free. The 17th would be very difficult. If that's the date that works best, though, don't hesitate!

That said, I really do hope to make it if I can make the dates work. I've been working a little on the Xtabentun recipe, too, and think an exchange is long overdue.

There's a liquor store about 1 hour from my house that stocks D'Aristi all the time. If I can make it to the conference, I'd be happy to mule some for any interested parties...

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to be added to the list (+1) as a maybe. I wanted to try last year but the drive would have been tough. Washington is easier for me, yay! I am definitely in our "beginner" group! Thank you!

Patti,

Looks like we never properly welcomed you - so welcome. Sure hope you are able to come.

Patti - welcome and welcome - we would love to have you join us. I think you'll find that regardless of how long we've been doing this we all come to the conferences knowing we can learn something new.

The University was supposed to meet late last week to further discuss our use of their facility - I will be talking to them the coming week to find out more (I'm sure you're all tired of hearing me spout the same stuff). Hopefully next week we can start to make final plans for the conference, firm up dates, people can start to make travel plans, etc...

Pretty Definite Attendees

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Gene

nolnacs

lironp

Prabha

Robdoc000

Viktoria

MariaP

Maybe

mjx +1

Lisa Shock

lebowitz

prasantrin

mkayahara

MelissaH

DianaM

Mette

Lior - pending Lottery ticket(s)

AnythingButPlainChocolate

Genkinaonna

chocoera

YetiChocolates

MarkIsComing

patti_h (+1)

Thank you Kerry! I have been lurking so I don't think I ever properly introduced myself! By profession I am an OR nurse, but I have always loved baking. I started doing some work with a caterer and one day he asked me to make truffles. I had never been thrilled with making truffles because I knew NOTHING about chocolate. But I experimented and came up with some, and decided that I wanted to improve my chocolate skills. I took the professional chocolatier course from L'ecole Chocolat & loved it! I absolutely love working with chocolate & will love the experience of working together with like minded souls! I am also quite intrigued with sugar work and look forward to learning about that too! Also, I know that I use way too many exclamation marks, that's just the kind of person I am- I am very enthusiastic about things!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello ALL -

Did you think I had forgotten all about you, eGullet and the Conference? Heck NO - in fact, I want to update you all -

I finally was able to communicate with Stratford, a lovely woman has been assigned to be my liaison, and we are to meet this coming week to finalize the details and present what it is we are looking for and what we need.

It appears that the dates are going to be March 17 & 18, with March 16th our Friday get together. Please, just pencil those dates into your calendar, I'll confirm them with the school and then we can proceed with putting them down in ink.

There are several very nice hotels nearby, a Fairfield Inn and a Holiday Inn; I'll be contacting them directly to ascertain their interest in giving us a nice business/conference rate. The Holiday Inn is about 1 1/2 miles to the school - it would be a perfect resting spot.

With that in mind, and knowing that I'll be presenting our "needs" to the school next week, please let me know what type of equipment we'll need them to provide (especially if we're going to get a sugar demo). Also, let me know if you have any ideas of what we could get together on Friday afternoon and do? (in the past we've had demo's from Albert Uster and Tomric as well as a tour of a Confection Plant - just to name a few). What would YOU like to see/learn in the 2012 Conference?

I've got Joe Sofia from Wilbur Chocolate coming down to spend the day with us on Saturday - I'll be discussing details further with him.

OK folks - I know it's the Holidays, but it's really time to start planning for March 2012 - I'm very excited to be able to see my old friends and make many new ones!

Just updating the list of attendees....

Pretty Definite Attendees

Chris Hennes +1

Kerry Beal

curls

gfron1

Gene

nolnacs

lironp

Prabha

Robdoc000

Viktoria

MariaP

Maybe

mjx +1

Lisa Shock

lebowitz

prasantrin

mkayahara

MelissaH

DianaM

Mette

Lior - pending Lottery ticket(s)

AnythingButPlainChocolate

Genkinaonna

chocoera

YetiChocolates

MarkIsComing

patti_h (+1)

Carsondial

Kevin Liu

Ruth Wells

Edited by RobertM (log)

haven't posted here in a very long time but just stumbled across this thread and would love to be added to the "maybe" list. a couple of years back i started a small candy company (mostly caramels and brittles) and it would be great to meet some of you and learn some new techniques.

Great job, Rob!

After failing miserably (again) at the whole coloured cocoa butter thing (flaking off, losing temper(the stuff, not me)), I'd really like to do some hands on with this - I've only ever learned from books and online

I'll start scouting flights....

Edited by Mette (log)

I'm afraid I already have plans to be elsewhere on those dates, so you'll have to take me off the list. But I'll be watching you from afar, and wishing I could be in two places at once.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm Heather!! I am a total novice, but would LOVE to be added to the maybe list, along with my +1. I will put in a request for the day off tomorrow. Like Patti, I am a registerfed nurse, and love making candies. I have been limited so far to brittles, caramels, and marshmallows (thanks, Nightscotsman!!). I would LOVE to learn about tempering chocolate, and pulling sugar sounds like a great idea. What kind of equipment do participants need to bring?

Thanks, and I'm SO excited to meet you all

Heather

• 3 weeks later...

Was approximate cost discussed? I'm really hoping that by tinkering with my budget a bit, I can make it.

For the 2010 and 2011 conferences, the price of the conference was approximately $150 per person (this included use of the facility and some meals).

Reports from previous conferences:

2011 conference (Niagara on the Lake, ON)

2010 conference (Gaithersburg, MD)

2009 conference (Niagara on the Lake, ON)

(edited to add links to the previous eGullet Chocolate & Confection conference reports)

Edited by curls (log)

Was approximate cost discussed? I'm really hoping that by tinkering with my budget a bit, I can make it.

For the 2010 and 2011 conferences, the price of the conference was approximately $150 per person (this included use of the facility and some meals).

Reports from previous conferences:

2011 conference (Niagara on the Lake, ON)

2010 conference (Gaithersburg, MD)

2009 conference (Niagara on the Lake, ON)

(edited to add links to the previous eGullet Chocolate & Confection conference reports)

Thanks! I'm still in dangling mode, owing to our ongoing house-hunting; I'm hoping this will soon be sorted.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org