• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pattypan Squash

Clark D

Hi all, I was given 20 pounds of pattypan squash yesterday. They look really nice but I'm not sure what all to do with them. I just sliced and grilled with a little olive oil salt and pepper last night but I'm wondering if anyone has any better ideas? Thanks!

On a seperate note I also received 50 pounds of nugget potatoes, 10 pounds of raspberries, 15 pounds of cherries and a couple pounds of garlic sprouts. If anyone has anything neat or different for these I'm all ears as well!

Thanks for any advice or ideas!

Clark

How large are the pattypans? If they're small enough, they can be pickled whole in sweet and sour vinegar preparation, which is very pleasant indeed. Otherwise, I find myself halving them along the ridges (so that they open like flying saucers), scooping out the middles, and using them as holders for shrimp or crab preparations, kind of like stuffed mushrooms. They bake very well.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Pattypan squash are ideal for "stuffing" with various combinations of vegetables, meats, cheeses, etc.,

I steam them for about 4-5 minutes depending on size - 4 inch or so.

Then scoop out a hollow on the top (rounder) side leaving at least 1/4 inch base.

I saute the chopped core with onions, tomatoes, seasonings of your choice, a little cooked meat or chicken, stuff the squash with this mixture, place in a baking dish, top with grated cheese and bake for about 20-25 minutes.

You can add anything to the stuffing mixture, bread crumbs, raisins, olives and so on or use any meatloaf or stuffed pepper mixture. Anything works and is good.

I don't eat seafood but a friend makes a stuffing with clams and/or mussels for either pattypan, delicata or zucchini squash and she cooks them on the barbecue grill in one of those perforated grill pans, adding the cheese at the last minute.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I agree with andiesenji. When I grow them (they are not usually found in the market hereabouts), I pick them when they are no more than 2" (5cm) in diameter. Because of their shape, size and ability to have different stuffings, they lend themselves to interesting plating approaches as appetizers.

Edited by Mikels (log)

I'd get some Everclear and make raspberry and cherry liqueurs. Jam also comes to mind.

Fruit based mousses could be made, as well as pate d' fruit but those would have to be consumed more quickly.

I'd start looking for a cool place to store some of the potatoes. I am of the opinion that potato dishes simply do not freeze well. Roasting with herbs is always a good way to use potatoes. This time of year, I also enjoy eating a few potatoes in my salads, just boil new potatoes and add warm or chilled to a basic salad with vinaigrette dressing.

Thanks for all the quick responses!

The squash are anywhere from hardball to softball size, definately doable for stuffing, I will stuff a few tonight and see how that goes, thanks for all the instructions and stuffing ideas!

Thanks for the advice on everything else Lisa! I had never heard of the pate de fruit, just googled it and will give it a go for sure. I made a simple pastry cream and raspberry tart last night, along with just eating a tonne of raspberries and cherries as is! The potatoes so far I have just roasted and fried in butter with fresh sage, both came out well!

Just wondering also what is the best way to store the squash as well as the potatoes?

Thanks again everyone!

Clark

I put the potatoes in a brown paper shopping bag, leaving top open, not too crowded, and keep them in the coolest well aired closet in the house.

The squash I store in the fridge in paper or plastic bags BUT if in plastic I drop in a paper towel to absorb moisture and poke a few holes in the bag for some air.

I grew some one year and the largest ones were a hit when I carefully cut off the tops, scooped out the innards, and used them as holders for dips and sauces on a buffet table. People thought they were ceramic!

Hi, Clark!

Are the "garlic sprouts" the long curly pigtail-like scapes? If so, and if you still have some left, they are delicious stir-fried, with a little bit of soy sauce tossed in at the end. They become sweet and not very garlicky. Also, Dorie Greenspan makes a simple pesto out of them that is very garlicky and delicious.

Lucky you for that bounty--

Cathy

BTW, if you drink alcohol, even simply tossing a handful of raspberries or cherries into a bottle of vodka for a couple weeks will give you a lovely infusion that you can use like a flavor extract in cooking, or drinks, and it will be a delightful reminder of summer when consumed mid-winter.