• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Food Processor Topic

Stone

I have a Cuisinart DLC-12. It is great for certain things, and invaluable for grinding nut flours, etc.

However, for most jobs I end up pulling out my knife simply because I don't feel like cleaning the thing after I am done. Easier to run a knife under water than to break the processor apart for the dishwasher.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I'm very happy with my Braun. It has a couple of bowls and many functions: an assortment of blades, a dough hook, egg beaters, a juice extractor...

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

I'm a Cueez gal. I bought the DLC 8E within a couple of years of its birth, because I worked at Crate and Barrel (back when Gordon Segal had exactly three stores) and I had to do demos. There was a generous employee discount as well, I seem to remember. I also seem to remember that it was shortly after Creedence broke up, but I might be a little fuzzy about the date.

I gave it a warrior's funeral three years ago, not because the motor didn't run, but because it was starting to be a hassle to replace the bowls. It's been replaced with a Deluxe 11.

I am a source of wonderment to my friends because I have zero brand name loyalty, even in cigarettes. (Well, being a daughter of Quebec, I'd chose a Pepsi over a Coke.) But the Cuisinart food processor is one of those rare items that I have always been able to count on. Heck, it's like buying a Honda Accord in Southern Californnia -- it will be dependable for so long that you'll have to make up a reason to replace it.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I will add my voices to those telling you don't buy cheap. My first fp was a $30 model from Macys, and though it did things "OK", none of the blades ever did a uniform or complete job. I also had a couple of $10 Toastmaster choppers for smalll chopping jobs.

As it happened, they all died at the same time. Hubby and I decided to spring for Cuisinart for both a FP and a small dedicated chopper, and they were both well worth the $$. In large one, in particular, is invaluable for making 2 Jewish culinary delights - potato latkes (Pancakes) and potato kugel (pudding). The secret to each is to grate potato and onions on the smallest holes of a box grater. Enter the Cuisinart cheese grating blade (so fine, it doesn't have holes!). Yum!

Be forewarned - the extra blades are very expensive, but if you cook a lot, can be worth it. But don't buy the fancy plastic "blade holder" they offer - a $3 Rubbermaid cylinder will hold up to 8 blades perfectly!

NJH

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

I have an almost 20 year old 14 cup Cuisinart. It works perfectly and I have only had to replace the original Lexan bowl, this year (the new bowl doesn't fit as well as the old one). I only use the Cuisinart for making pie dough, because I find that most everything else I could use the machine for can be accomplished better and faster by hand. I did buy a new KitchenAid when Kohl's had its big closeout, but haven't even opened the box. Whatever you do, don't go cheap. In my experience, Cuisinart or KitchenAid are the way to go and worth every penny.

Happy shopping!

Azlee

:biggrin:

Ah, pesto: yes!!!!! I make huge batches about once a year, and it does the work in virtually no time. :wub:

For years and years, I have kept on file the url for Culinary Parts Unlimited. Never needed it, knock wood. But if they are anything like Replacements, Ltd for china, I'll bet the stuff doesn't come cheap.

No, wait, I just checked, and the prices don't seem so outrageous to me. ($45 for a replacement workbowl :hmmm: well, maybe). But the price of a new S-shaped steel blade is not bad at all.

My mom bought one of the original models back in the 70s. Hers is so old it doesn't even have on/off-pulse buttons. Rather you have to slide the cover into place to make contact. She's still using it to this day. So of course, when it came to buy one 9 years ago I bought an 11-cup model. The fp is fantastic for mayonnaise. It's so easy!! I make a batch weekly.

I also use it for pie crusts, shredding vegetables for slaws, pureeing fruit for sorbet, shredding potatoes for latkes and kugels and other tasks that I can't think of at the moment.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Ebay might be a money saving option for a fine vintage machine. You could get a quality unit for what a replacement blade cost if you have any luck.

Ditto that. I have an ancient Cuisinart CFP-5 from my ex-girlfriend's mom (she replaced it in 1984 and gave this to Tracy, who gave it to me in the break-up [sniff]) that's gotta be pushing 25, and it runs like a dream. I've thrown away at least two dozen crappy toasters, immersion blenders, and who knows what else in the years I've used it, and I inherited it well-used!

As usual, you can save a pile on eBay, as MM said. There's one available now here that's selling for $10 plus shipping -- and I guarantee that thing will run for another century or so. Only one day left, though, so I'd snag it....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I also use it for pie crusts, shredding vegetables for slaws, pureeing fruit for sorbet, shredding potatoes for latkes and kugels and other tasks that I can't think of at the moment.

There is no better kitchen tool for making pie crusts. It not only cuts the fat into the flour uniformly, it cuts the ice water in as well, resulting in minimal gluten formation.

I have an old Cuisinart DLC-10E. I have used it very little in the past, but am using it more now for making pie dough. There are some things it probably does better than any other tool, for example the cranberry-orange relish I make every Thanksgiving. It sounds right for the things you want to do with it. Have fun!

Those of you that have the vintage CAs, pat them fondly and tuck them into a safe bed at night. When I had to replace the bowl and lid on the one that I inherited from my mother, (one of the originals) the new design made it almost useless. I use the grating and slicing blades as much as anything and the feed tube design was impossible. Since I used those blades so much, the flat top lid wasn't an answer. I sent the useless thing to my sister's country house.

When Kohl's put the KAs on sale, I bit. There are so many neat design features that I do a happy dance everytime I use it... simple feed tube, grater blades have a separate spindle and store flat, mini bowl, food pusher doubles as a measuring cup, perfectly designed spatula... I just finished a batch of hummus and I made cole slaw yesterday and I cook for one. I am now lusting for the julienne blade and the parmesan/ice shaver blade.

Suzannes questions are excellent. After you figure out what you do most, do not just order over the internet. Go to a store and play with the various models. Don't just look. Take the lid off. Take the bowl off. Make like you are feeding carrots or cheese for grating. Imagine storing the parts and pieces.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 5 months later...

I am about to replace my CA workbowl for the third time -- it's quite annoying and I'm wondering if people have found that KA's or possibly Robot Coupe's workbowls are more durable. For the past year the damn machine has occupied valuable counter space while we grate and slice by hand. Maybe our problem is that grating and slicing hard vegetables and cheeses will take its toll on any plastic workbowl and we need to just do it by hand?

Maybe our problem is that grating and slicing hard vegetables and cheeses will take its toll on any plastic workbowl and we need to just do it by hand?

I have the KitchenAid 670 (the one rated so well by Consumer Reports), and haven't had a problem with the workbowl. Of course, I've only had it for about 2 1/2 years - you didn't say how long you've had yours. I process chunks of parmesan pretty regularly, and often slice carrots and other hard vegetables (I have a nice mandoline, but always seem to cut myself with the thing!) I love this processor, especially the mini-bowl, which I use to make white bean spread and other dips just for myself.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have Cuisinarts and am very happy with them. I have never had to replace a bowl because of normal use and I subject them to all kinds of processing, including grating very hard cheeses, chopping nuts, and etc.

I have replaced bowls which were flung across the room and bounced off the tile floor and the handle broke off and a piece broke out of the side (I grabbed a towel off the counter, not realizing that part of the bowl was sitting on it.)

Another was replaced when it was sitting in the sink and a large earthenware casserole slipped out of my hands and dropped onto it taking several large chips out of the top edge. I actually was able to use it to finish the job I was doing that day. I just used duct tape to close the gaps so stuff wouldn't fly out of the openings.

I have used other brands in the homes of my friends and I can't really say that I would trade my Cuisinarts for any of them.

The KA I used last Christmas at my friend's home did not perform well when slicing celery and carrots. And it did not chop walnuts evenly. Some were turned into nut butter in the bottom of the bowl and the rest were left practically whole at the top. I ended up using a hand-cranked nut chopper from the 50s.

I don't have any of the newly styled Cuisinarts, they do look more streamlined but mine are working just fine so I see no need to replace them just for the looks.

This review was done a while ago.

Note the findings on the Cuisinart 14 cup which is a larger capacity and the 7 cup that is smaller than the one seen most often (11 cup) and the point about the 3-year warranty. If something is going to go wrong with these machines, it will usually be in the second or third year, in my experience.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have three Cuisinarts; the CFP 5A (metal base, no on/off switches, purchased in 1978), a smaller one that also has a juicer attachment, and the DLC-10. I have just recently retired the CFP 5A. It's been lovingly placed in a box in my garage and I cannot bring myself to part with it even though I no longer use it. It represented my first major purchase out of college, and has had a long and useful life.

I recently have considered replacing it, and am looking at both the Cuisinart and Kitchen Aid models that sell in the $200 range. You might want to check out the product reviews on Amazon.com for both the Cuisinart and Kitchen Aid food processors. Many recent Cuisinart purchasers, sad to say, are extremely unhappy with the company's service, since they have been purchased by Conair. These reviews alone are making me lean toward the Kitchen Aid.

I would echo the opinions about staying away from cheap food processors. Absolutely sound advice.

I also would concur with the things others have said about what these machines are and aren't good for. Before I bought my mandoline, I used my Cuisinart for slicing potatoes when making scalloped potatoes. It did a faster and more uniform job than I can do with a knife.

• 2 months later...

After watching food processors (I think it was a Cuisinart DLC 2011) on the Food Network suck greens down and finely chop them, I think it's time to trade in our many-years-old model that seems to simply spin the ingredients up the sides. (Guess things have improved in the past 15 or so years.) We've read that the Kitchnaid KFP670 is a great machine at $280 and that the Cuisinart DLC 85 is a good value at $160, but what are your recommendations?

Thanks much!

Sidecar Ron

You may want to check out the comments on Amazon. I don't know if they are selling these exact models, but the bottom line for many purchaser/reviewers was that they were unhappy with service on their Cuisinarts. The company, in recent years, apparently has been sold to Conair, and many were of the opinion that service has suffered as a result.

There are many threads on food processors:

Food Processor, I need one

Food Processor Help ?!?!

There are several more, but these two are fairly recent.

I had to replace an old Cuisinart that had just pooped out. Started smoking and that was the end of that.

I got a Kitchenaid. I love it. I really love that it has the little bowl insert.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Susan,

Thanks for these threads. Ya know, I did a search for "Food Processor" and sure didn't see these -- maybe they were down MANY pages and I should have persevered. Being still kinda new here, how did you get to them quickly?

Thanks,

Sidecar Ron

BTW, what Kitchenaid model do you have?

Edited by RonC (log)

I finally decided to purchase the KitchenAid because it was explained to me that the motor is made by Robocoup (sp?) which was the oringinal motor in the Cuisenart and the original food processor commercial manufactuerer. The Cuisenart that my mother bought in the 70's is still in operation. I love my KitchenAid. I purchased it at Sur la Table (No. CA), their price was the same as Macy's and I think I got better service.

I, too, just researched and bought a food processor. After some deliberation, I got a Kitchen Aid KFP750. I bought it at Penny's, and it was $200.

I love it. Needed it right away because I was having a dinner party, and didn't have time to have it shipped from some cheaper online source.

Thus far, it's been exactly as good as I hoped. And like my friend, Snowangel, particularly appreciate the little bowl insert.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I love my KA. I had a real love fest with it when I made the enchiladas over in Tex-Mex Cooking with Robb. My crappy blender crapped out and the KA was my only alternative. I suspected that I would have a lot more "stuff" left behind in the strainer than I would have had with the blender but such was not the case. Everytime I use the thing, I marvel at the design details, the simple feed tube, the separate spindle for the discs, the mini-bowl. :wub:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose