• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Food Processor Topic

Stone

Discuss your food processors here and help Nina find something she'll be happy with forever.

I have a Cuisenart. Very happy with it. I also have a boat motor (Braun) with a food processor attachment, but that's a different thread. Maybe.

Edited by Dstone001 (log)

I also have a Cusinart, and I love it. My cusinart also has a blender attachment which works really well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My Krups is dying. My mother bought me a Cuisinart at a tag sale but I think the bowl is on the small size, plus it has only one blade - a plastic one. I suppose I could buy other blades/attachments for it, but I'm inclined to get a new one. Any model numbers would be appreciated. And I'd like to hear about the Kitchenaid varieties, too. I've always had bad luck with the beater attachments - they're so fragile - is it true across the board? Also, I need various sizes of holes in the grating blades...

While we're at it, I"d like to discuss mixmasters, too.

Edited by La Niña (log)

I used mine today! Break out the champagne!!!

Seriously. I like my Cuisinart, but I only pull it out if I have a couple of heavy-duty crumb-making jobs to do. For instance, I needed to make graham cracker crumbs, chocolate graham crumbs and pecan meal for one rum ball recipe. To me, that justified messing up the big old processor bowl and having to clog up my dishwasher with more stuff.

It is fun when I use it. Gee, I really need to integrate the little devil into my life but I've been focusing more on my Kitchenaid who also needs more love.

I want one of those simple lids, like all the chefs have on TV. I've got a Krups, ancient model number long gone, with a simple lid. Just put it on, slide in the grooves and go. My mom's got a Cuisinart with this hidgy-widgy lid that has to be put on just so or it won't work. It has way more inner workings (read: it has inner workings) that are completely unnecessary in a lid. Feh.

Another issue I have with both machines (I had no idea I had issues with them until this thread :shock: ) is with liquids: it either sloshes over the top or fluzzes out the bottom. :angry: I don't like it when it fluzzes: the counter gets all gloopy. I don't like gloopy counters. Perhaps I don't like food processors?

My mom's got a Cuisinart with this hidgy-widgy lid that has to be put on just so or it won't work. It has way more inner workings (read: it has inner workings) that are completely unnecessary in a lid. Feh.

My Dad tried to use my cuisinart to grate the potatoes for latkes. 5 pounds of potatoes and I had to work the lid with every batch. He was utterly incapable of figuring out how to remove and replace the plunger doo-dad.

I've got a Cuisinart DLC-7 Pro, which is almost 20 years old, for which I also bought a full set of shredding, slicing, and julienne disks. Of course, they don't make that model anymore. But in all these years, it's never given me a bit of trouble.

I bought a KitchenAid FP for a place I used to work -- I forget the model name/number, but it was very good. One of those keypads that you can just wipe off: a definite plus. Nice heavy base, so it didn't walk while in use. And it came with a mini-bowl and blade to use for small jobs. Quite nice to have that available. (I'm not that fond of my Cuisinart Mini-Prep).

Robo-Coupe machines are really heavy and powerful -- but mostly for professional situations. The feed tubes are weird for home use, and I was always afraid one of my staff would inadvertently grate or slice off a finger. Definitely a machine to be careful with.

While we're at it, I"d like to discuss mixmasters, too.

As for mixers, I'm a KitchenAid Professional gal. Love it!!!!! Although I've heard very good reports about Kenwood.

(edited following Rachel's comment below; Because "SHE" :wink: started it!!! :shock::laugh: )

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Mine Cuisinart is like Rachel's..the #14, and when I got it about 6 years ago to replace my orginal, it came with a simple lid without the feed-tube...just a hole in the top (with a little cap) so you can add liquids. I think that the second lid was the best thing they ever did...

I've always assumed that they all come with it, but maybe I'm wrong.

I use it a lot, but mostly with the basic steel blade..not so often with cutting or grating discs. It can be a pain when liquids slop out the top (avoid processing anything hot!), and I don't like cleaning the thing. Even though the work bowl is supposed to dishwasher safe, I've seen the lexan get warped enough that it no longer fit on the base.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

My Cuisinart is lik Rachel and Jims. I would never live without it. The best thing in my kitchen. I use it for a lot of stuff. They are great. The lid seems to be a non-issue for me. I cook in great quantities and for large numbers of people, it has never leaked or anything. I have been using mine over 8 years now.

I dish wash all parts of it and have been doing so for 8 years. Never had any problem. I have all the shredding attachments that one can buy.. also the citrus juicer but I have never used those. This is my very basic machine.

I use my Kitchen Aid to do all the other stuff.

We have an old Cuisinart for smaller tasks, an old Robocoup for larger. Usually the Cuisinart sees more action, even if it has to be refilled eight or ten times. I don't use them myself.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I got the Cuisinart DFP-14BC Custom 14-cup on Amazon, except I only paid $127 because the stainless steel model was a gold box special. It has the multipart lid thing - I should look into getting the simplified lid.

Didn't it come with a second lid? The flat one with the hole in the middle (as opposed to the big feeding tube)? Mine did.

Edited by Dstone001 (log)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Our cuisinart just bit the dust after about 20 years. I've heard the newer models aren't as well built. True?

What's your advice? Should I get another cuisinart or is someone building a better food processor?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

The top-of-line KitchenAid is worth a look.  (I have it.)  Amazon usually has refurbs at a good price.

I'll take a look at Kitchenaids. Amazon.ca doesn't, unfortunately, handle much besides books, cds and dvds.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I have an old DLC-10. It is sturdy, but I don't use it a great deal, and I have never used any of the attachment blades --- only the standard steel blade. It works fine, but I don't know anything about the current models. You may want to see the new Cuisinarts and the alternatives in person before ordering off the internet.

Our cuisinart just bit the dust after about 20 years. I've heard the newer models aren't as well built. True?

What's your advice? Should I get another cuisinart or is someone building a better food processor?

I will echo what has been said about the complicated lid. I inherited my Mother's Cuisinart. Unfortunately, the original lid with the nice and simple feed tube broke. The only replacement I could get was that ultra-complicated multi-piece abomination. It just wasn't worth the trouble and was a bitch to clean. Yes... You had to batch feed the damn thing. I think it was designed by a safety engineer that doesn't cook.

I stopped in at Sur-la-Table for some other things and was looking at the KitchenAid. This lady walked up to help me. It turns out that she was one of their main buyers for appliances and was visiting that store. I told her of my frustration with the Cuisinart. She agreed. She said that they sell a LOT of KAs to folks that get aggravated with the Cuisinart, give it to their kids and get a KA. :laugh:

I haven't gotten a replacement yet but I will be getting the KA. I gave the Cuisinart to my sister for her country place. :biggrin:

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

As recently as about a year ago I was able to find this (pictured) standard 'non-feed-tube' top for my 14 cup cuisinart--it's essentially a flat top with one, centered hole and a small, removable, plug-type cover.

cuisinartflatlidwithcover-med.jpg

Because of this top, I use my cuisinart frequently. Without it, the thing would likely sit in the cabinet. FWIW, I found it just sitting on the shelf at the Chef's Catalog store near me. From the info here, my guess is that they have been officially discontinued by the manufacturer, but that there are probably more of them out there somewhere.

But, I love my KA too...it actually survived a fall from the counter top (yes, I left it unattended) without missing a beat--it didn't even need a servicing. The same cannot be said of the tile onto which it fell...it had to be replaced.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com