• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Food Processor Topic

Stone

I've replaced the workbowl on my (28 yr old?) DLC-7, but got to worrying about what I'd do when the motor eventually gives out--how would I run that most glorious of accessories . . . the power strainer?  (It's spectacular for seeding raspberries.  I really do not know what I would do without it.) 

So--I started looking on Craig's list and got a back-up!  Mr. Care says it's obsessive to think about getting a second back-up, but I'm contemplating doing so while they're still available!   :rolleyes:

If it's obsessive, it's far from record-setting obsessive. My sister and I were talking about Corningware last night. Her mother-in-law LOVES the old corningware coffee percolators. Since they're not being made anymore, she buys them when she finds them at garage sales and antique stores.

She has 17. :laugh:

edited to add: She actually uses a Corningware percolator as her everyday coffee maker. When one burns out, she goes out to the barn and gets another... and starts looking for more whenever she's out and about.

Edited by jgm (log)

"I doubt I'll be able to talk anyone into storing my remains in it, although I certainly think that would be appropriate. It would just look strange on a mantel, you know?"

I've seen stranger requests - I have a friend who seriously wants her ashes to be kept in a shoebox high on a shelf in the shoe department at Nordstrom's. If we can't talk them into that, then we're to walk through the store sprinkling them around the place (holes in the pockets, a la The Great Escape).

And I happen to like the old Cuisinart Automatic Grind 'n Brew coffeemaker. They wear out after about a year, so I keep one or two backups - they started out at $200; the last one I bought for about $45, I think. I don't keep the old ones for sentimental value, but I do keep an extra carafe.

I'd advise keeping your old friend - perhaps turning it into a fishbowl -- but disable the motor so nothing terrible happens!!!

I'd advise keeping your old friend - perhaps turning it into a fishbowl -- but disable the motor so nothing terrible happens!!!

If nothing else, I think Special K's suggestion of repurposing the food processor is a good one (as long as you don't keep hopes for bringing it out of retirement). Fishbowl, a new home for a houseplant, etc... that way, you not only keep the processor, but don't have to stick it somewhere out of view. :smile:

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Send me a picture - I might have a newer (not new) bowl to go on it.  I have accumulated a whole lot of old cuisinart parts over time and love to find homes for them.  That way you can haul it back out of the basement!

Yes, send her a pic. I have an old Cuis classic that I just love. Kerry gave me a bowl/blade last year.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a DLC-8E that is, for sure, 25 years old (it was a wedding gift-the machine lasted longer than the marriage, so I'm hanging on to it with both hands), that I love. I have replaced every part on the thing, excepting the motor, several times over the years. Happily, they are mostly available still, but last time I needed a bowl top, I had to buy it off of e-bay, though I now understand that they are still making them.

I'm with you. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'll run it til it dies. Used it last night, as a matter of fact. I especially like the way that the buttons are set up and also the fact that the motor seems to be completely indestructible.

Scary, Brooks--take 5 years off your timeline and that's the story behind my DLC-8E too.

Only you know whether this machine is past the point of no return. I dread the thought of replacing mine, especially since all the new Cuisinarts I see have those little slippery touchpad buttons. Ick. I've only had to replace the bowl once, it's been a true workhorse. Maybe I need to look around and start stocking up on spare parts.

Onehsancare, I've never heard of the power strainer attachment. Is it like an electric food mill? Are they still in production?

My love affair with the Cuiz is here, in a long ago Daily Gullet article. I bought the Cuiz in it's first year of offering and that baby served me so well for so many years that throwing it out was like burying a beloved pet. But I got so tired of having to special order the old bowl from W-S.

My mother said: Spend X on a Christmas present for your husband. Christmas at Williams-Sonoma scored us a bigger Cuiz at about the same price I's paid 25 years ago with, be still my heart, an extra bowl.

I remember the still throbbing pulsing heart and motor of my first Cuiz when I tossed it, but it was time to move on. And I did.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 7 months later...

This maybe a dumb question but, can a Cuisinart blade be sharpened. I've had the same blade and machine for 25 years. I bought a new work bowl a few years ago and I really can't even tell if the blade has diminished in it's performance or not. Seems to do the job but perhaps I'd be happier with a sharper or newer one.

"enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon

From a quick check with Gourmet Depot it looks like a replacement blade will run you about $40 depending on your model.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Can the blades be sharpened?

Why not? It's just a hunk of steel with a edge on it, same as any other knife. Those blades whirling around at 3 or 4 thousand RPM and chopping up nuts, ice, etc. can get pretty blunt.

If it's an old blade and you can find replacements for it, I'd say go for it.

I use a diamond hone on mine when they really get bad, and a butcher's steel from time to time to get out the worst rolled over edges and dings.

I got mine sharpened (by a local professional knife guy) and it's great. One thing you should keep in mind is that if your blade has "microserrations" like mine did, the sharpening process will remove that edge and leave a regular one.

• 1 year later...

I'm using Magimix 3200 food processor at the moment for emulsifying my bitter ganaches and for making small batches of marzipan. But, now I need to upgrade to the more professional type, mid-high end food processor for more larger batches. I will use it for the same purposes, that is, for emulsifying ganaches and making marzipans. I need your advises and helps.

Thank you in advance.

I was thinking thermomix would shine for this too, but given the cost if the poster just wants something bigger than they have and strong I was going to suggest a Cuisinart DLC-X. Easy to find on e-bay - 21 cup capacity - strong enough for marzipan. But not sure where they are located so whether it would be available to them.

I'm sorry for the late reply.

I'm not located in North America or Europe but I think I will have access to those brands. Thank you for your advises, I will search about that model of Cuisinart and about Thermomix.

My money is on the Robotcoupe R2, and with the s/s bowl.

Many of the "household" processors have powerfull motors, but the devil is in the details.

The shaft should be s/s and not plastic, as plastic will fatigue and deform before the motor gives up.

The bowl should be s/s or if not, a high grade plastic, and NOT a clear acryic type plastic, as this will eventually fatigue.

On any given day, I will use the robotcoupe to make ganaches and the like up to 10 times, and it needs to be cleaned and sanitized between each use. This means a trip in the high-temp dishwasher. Many plastics can not stand this kind of abuse.

As with mixers, the additon of a second bowl and knife more than doubles your capacity and halves your prep time

This type of machine (R2) runs about $1,000. Upgrades to s/s bowls, replacement knives, and other parts are available and stocked at restaurant suppliers in your area.

I'm using Magimix 3200 food processor at the moment for emulsifying my bitter ganaches and for making small batches of marzipan. But, now I need to upgrade to the more professional type, mid-high end food processor for more larger batches. ...

My money is on the Robotcoupe R2, and with the s/s bowl.

Many of the "household" processors have powerfull motors, but the devil is in the details.

The shaft should be s/s and not plastic, as plastic will fatigue and deform before the motor gives up.

The bowl should be s/s or if not, a high grade plastic, and NOT a clear acryic type plastic, as this will eventually fatigue.

As with mixers, the additon of a second bowl and knife more than doubles your capacity and halves your prep time

Magimix is the consumer brand of Robot Coupe.

The 3200 is at the small end of the range.

Magimix provide a 12 year warranty on the motor - because the "shaft" (its actually a cover over the real shaft) IS made of plastic and DOES indeed deform if the user ever overloads the machine.

HOWEVER, the very important thing to understand about this "mechanical protection fuse" is that the replacement part is pretty cheap (£10 ish in the UK but just €6 in France) and can be quickly and straightforwardly replaced by the user.

Two more points on the shaft.

If you use the thing with a chewed-up shaft, you'll chew up the inside of the blade, where the shaft drives it. Than means replacing the blade as well, and its HARD to get a chewed up blade off a chewed up shaft - so replace a chewed up shaft immediately!

And all food processor users should realise that the "dough blade" has got shorter arms by deliberate design - to limit the torque and impact forces on the shaft! The machine's capacity for stiff mixes is reduced if you use the long 'cutting' blade. Obvious to a scientist/engineer, less so to cooks, it should be spelled out simply in the manual. The 'pro' solution to abuse and overloading by kitchen staff is to de-rate the power, limit the bowl's physical capacity (see the R2 spec below) and strengthen the shaft. If anything has to give way, its the blade unit - very easily (if expensively) replaced.

The Magimix bowls are made of (clear) Polycarbonate, and supposedly dishwasher-safe. However, it seems to me that dishwashing does have a long-term deleterious effect, and so I wash mine by hand. The problem isn't strictly "fatigue", but over a period of years the plastic becomes 'crazed' and embrittled. Takes a few years in household use though.

Should mention that Magimix/Robot Coupe are excellent at supporting older machines.

The 1800 or R1 "Magimix by Robot Coupe" is over 25 years old, yet many spares are still available.

http://www.magimix-spares.co.uk/Magimix-by-Robot-coupe-grand-chef,-1800,-R1,-parts-stocked-/products/1083/

Interestingly, the spec's of the R2 and 3200 are rather similar. R2 550 watt motor, 2.9 litre bowl. 3200 has 650 watts into a 2.6 litre bowl.

In the UK the prices (from the same catering supply co - Nisbets) are

3200 £176

R2 £857 (with stainless bowl)

So the R2 is almost five times more expensive ... Sure, its much more tolerant of abuse, but the capacity is broadly similar.

I think the first candidate should be the basic (white) version of the Magimix 5200.

It costs £225 at Nisbets, less than 1/3 more than the white 3200, and offers almost double the capacity of that little 3200. The motor is 1100 watts and the bowl is nominally 3.7 litres, but importantly the bread dough mixing spec is up from 600 grams to 1300 grams.

I think it should handle double the 3200's safe quantity of marzipan.

The 5200 is much stronger and more capacious than the 3200 for very little extra cost.

The even more cost-effective option here in the UK is to get an old 5100 for well under half the price of a new 5200. And then get a couple of extra new bowls for it (and maybe a couple of spare spindles). I absolutely agree with Edward J that extra bowls are VERY useful. But a spare Stainless Steel R2 bowl and spare blade is going to cost about the same as an entire new 5200 ...

The Magimixes are pretty bulletproof. One would have a hard job damaging any part of the motor/base unit in use, except for that sacrificial shaft!

Perhaps its worth noting that the shaft cover for the 5100 and 5200 has the exact same part number - it has not been improved or uprated. Thus the older 5100 has exactly the same torque capacity as the current model.

Magimix pricing can be hard to understand.

Seemingly made in France, most of their stuff is significantly cheaper in the UK. (I can get new discs for half the French price.)

But in France, you can find a new 5100 bowl+lid combo spectacularly cheaply, actually cheaper than you can buy the same bowl on its own, anywhere.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I have a Waring Commercial (Cuisinart bought Waring a few years ago) which has a VERY powerful 1 HP motor. It does marzipan without any trouble and was about $600 US. I highly recommend it.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

... It does marzipan without any trouble ...

I would expect that most food processors should be able to make marzipan.

Isn't the question about how big a batch it can handle?

And Steve, which model from the Waring line-up are you recommending?

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

... It does marzipan without any trouble ...

I would expect that most food processors should be able to make marzipan.

Isn't the question about how big a batch it can handle?

I don't believe this is true. When making marzipan, you are grinding nuts with (in my case) cooked sugar. This forms a very stiff mass which is hard to get going in the food processor. It also takes a considerable amount of time with the machine working fairly hard to develop a product which has a desirable texture. My consumer grade model would overheat and simply stop working.

My Waring has a significantly more powerful motor which can power through the first part of the process and run for as long as I need to achieve the smooth texture I'm looking for.

And Steve, which model from the Waring line-up are you recommending?

I'm using a "Waring Commercial 2.5 qt" model FP-25C.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

• 3 months later...

This kitchen creature, which I have owned for I can’t remember how many decades, my food processor, Sunbeam Chef de Cuisine FM 101, finally died this morning making its last batch of hummus. And my DH who looks everything up in Consumer Reports before making any purchases, is frustrated because CR hasn’t done a feature on food processors since 2006. And no one has posted on this thread for some time now.

I do use a food processor reasonably often, but still am not buying a Thermomix or anything in that price bracket.

I could use some advice on this one. Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

This kitchen creature, which I have owned for I can’t remember how many decades, my food processor, Sunbeam Chef de Cuisine FM 101, finally died this morning making its last batch of hummus. And my DH who looks everything up in Consumer Reports before making any purchases, is frustrated because CR hasn’t done a feature on food processors since 2006. And no one has posted on this thread for some time now.

I do use a food processor reasonably often, but still am not buying a Thermomix or anything in that price bracket.

I could use some advice on this one. Thanks.

Find a used Cuisinart on Kijiji or at a thrift store. It will last the rest of your decades.