• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Food Processor Topic

Stone

Susan,

Thanks for these threads. Ya know, I did a search for "Food Processor" and sure didn't see these -- maybe they were down MANY pages and I should have persevered. Being still kinda new here, how did you get to them quickly?

Thanks,

Sidecar Ron

BTW, what Kitchenaid model do you have?

When searching, do NOT use the search boxes displayed beneath the banner at the top of the page...instead click the 'Search' link allllll the way at the top of the page, then:

search for: "food processor" (in quotations - this will only return searches with these two words together, which is what you want) -> search all forums -> sort however you want -> search titles only

Give it a try! You'll see you only get back a handful of threads.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Ahhhh, thank you for the search help! I'm sure it will cut down on my frustration plus reduce the chance that I'll ask unneeded questions.

New Friends in Eating - After reading all the praise for KitchenAid, we decided to go with the KA 760. Until Sunday, Amazon has this and other selected kitchen products for $25 off plus the usual free shipping. We wound up paying $205 which (I think) is a pretty good price.

Best wishes,

Sidecar Ron

Edited by RonC (log)

• 9 months later...

My early 80's Cuisinart finally died, and it was an incredible workhorse. What has changed since then? I am looking at the KitchenAid KFPM770, which has four work bowls (wow!) and is 1/3 heavier than the biggest Cuisinart. Is this as good as it seems?

I am also open to Robot Coupe, Cuisinart, and any other thing someone may suggest. It must have a big bowl -- 12-20 cups. Industrial would be great, provided I can learn where to get it.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

I use a Robot Coupe R2. If your slicing, shredding or julienneing in the Robot Coupe the bowl size doesn't matter as it has the constant feed attachment. Just place a large bowl, bus pan or whatever under it and start feeding it. The processor bowl is normal sized, but they do make larger models...if you can afford them. Cost is a issue with Robot Coupe, but in my opinion they are worth it.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

I bought the 14-cup Cuisinart food processor, and I rue the day I purchased it. Every time I use it, I end up muttering to myself, "I should have bought the Kitchen Aid." First, there's a slight gap between the lid and the bowl, even in the locked position -- it's enough of a space so that flour and liquids regularly shoot out all over the place. The second thing that bugs me is it cannot handle bread dough at all, one of the mail reasons why I purchased the thing ... the dough balls up under the blade and pushes it up, stopping the machine. It can't handle frozen foods for the same reason. I tried to puree slightly frozen mango chunks last weekend, and it totally quit on me after five seconds. I had a cheap "Le Machine" food processor that easily handled these tasks for over 10 years.

To add insult to injury, there was supposed to be a rebate/free gift with this machine, which they never sent. Moreover, they never responded to my letters asking where it was.

OK, more information than you needed, but that's how I feel about late-model Cuisinarts.

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

Thank you Wolfchef and Ninetofive. I think I will be buying the Kitchenaid 770. I am so grateful that you dragged me away from the Cuisinart. I had major reservations about that. Perhaps the Robot Coupe is my dream machine, but I think the KA is the way to go.

I forgot to mention a few of my favorite things about the Robot Coupe.

Torroidal shaped top with the hole in it. Makes it so easy to add ingredients without worry of stuff flying out.

Dishwasher cleanup for all except base and knives. They come out sparkling white everytime.

Attachments are virtually unbreakable.

Processor knife flies about a hair width above bottom of bowl. Which is important in making things very small.

Sound it makes when running.

For reference I also have older KA and a smaller Cuisinart. I bought my Robot Coupe at a garage sale a few years back for $35.00 with bowl, knife, constant feed attachment and 1 shredding blade. It was missing the lid for the processor bowl. It sat on a shelf in the garage for 3 years till last summer unused. THe thing is so big and heavy I was starting to ask myself why I bought it. Last summer I bought a used lid for it on eBay and haven't used the KA or Cuisinart since.

Things I don't like.

How large it is. This is not a tool for a small kitchen.

Cost of parts, like the bowl lid. Which is why I bought a used one.

If for whatever reason I had to outfit another kitchen, I would spend the extra dollars and get the Robot Coupe. It's just one of those tools I can't wait to use again, like a favorite knife or sauce pan.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

I swear by my robot coup. It is my most used item in my kitchen! However, it is not small, and takes up a bit of room. Weighs a ton. But, for my money, it is the best of all the processors on the market.

I've got a Robot Coupe II also. I wouldn't be without it. The slicing attachment is great for making large batches of sliced onions for French Onion Soup (which we can in large batches).

As far as the regular part of it, the blade does just barely fly over the bottom surface. You can pulse it by turning the lid. The lid controls the on/off function. Makes great hummous, and by pulsing I can literally chop things pretty evenly. It takes a bit of practice!

About 30 years ago, I gave my Mother a small Hamilton Beach "Emmie" which she never used. When she passed away, it was still sitting there in new condition but with about 1/2" of built up kitchen gunk on it. Since she never used it, it never got washed.

So I took it back, and man does it go like crazy. That thing is a powerhouse.

I also have a couple of small coffee grinders that I use for spices. The four appliances get used the most of anything in my kitchen save for my knives, and maybe my KA mixer with the food grinder attachment.

doc

• 7 months later...

The most recent post in this thread is from last February....so I'm wondering if there are any recent recommendations for a food processor? My 20 year old Cuisinart has finally packed it in and I'm in the market for a new one. I can't tell from the Cuisinart site which are the newer models. I do want a larger capacity than the 7 cup machine, but I'm not sure if the 14 cup might be too big?

I'll be using this for home cooking. Which model should I get?

Thanks,

Margy

The most recent post in this thread is from last February....so I'm wondering if there are any recent recommendations for a food processor? My 20 year old Cuisinart has finally packed it in and I'm in the market for a new one. I can't tell from the Cuisinart site which are the newer models. I do want a larger capacity than the 7 cup machine, but I'm not sure if the 14 cup might be too big?

Thanks,

Margy

I have a KA 12 cup and I just aquired a Cuisinart 7 cup. Between the two models, I'd take a KA anyday. The Cuisinart is far fussier with the feeding tube and as far as I can tell, the sliding part doesn't come apart so it could be interesting to wash to say the least.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thanks,

Margy

I love my 14 cup DLC 7. The new models of cuisinart aren't like the old ones though, so see if you can find an old one around. E-bay often has them.

I find 14 cups is rarely too big, it just allows more working room inside the bowl. I do have a little cuisinart pro on the counter that I use for those tiny jobs. (and a DLC X 20 cup in the cupboard for huge projects like almond paste and rye bread).

I love my 14 cup DLC 7.  The new models of cuisinart aren't like the old ones though, so see if you can find an old one around.  E-bay often has them. 

We have a 30+ year old one, and whenever I'm visiting someone with one of the new ones with all the safety features it's awful! I guess you'd get used to them, but they seem very counterintuitive.

• 1 month later...

I hope those who have had any of the following models for awhile will help me out: the 14 cup Cuisinart (either the DLC2014 Power PrepPlus or the Custom [DFP-14BCN with the square base) or Kitchenaids’ KA KFP760 (14 cup with special dough feature). (The mini-bowl in the KA is not a particular draw as I have a Cuisinart mini-processor.) My primary concern is reliability and usefulness in slicing, chopping, and making dough.

No use extolling the vintage models; it’ll just make me feel bad.

I have a wonderful old DLC7e that still chugs along quite happily. My DIL's cheapo processor just died, and I will give her mine and get a larger model. I do this with some trepidation as mine's never given me a day's trouble other than replacing the bowl years ago. I hear horror stories about the newer processors.

My desire for a larger model is motivated by wanting to make larger batches of dough (bread and pie),having a wider mouth for slicing, and not having to dump out the bowl so often when slicing veggies. I've resisted this urge til now as a well-working processor in the hand trumps an unknown new processor whatever its features.

I've seen ninetofive’s comment that the new Cuisinart (he doesn’t say whether it’s the PowerPrepPlus of the Custom 14DFP with the square base) does not function as well for making dough as the KA. That would be a deal breaker if his experience is echoed by others. Especially since the KA760 has a special doughmaking feature.

On the other hand, my neighbor had a KA blade chew up the plastic. She called me over for help, but I was flummixed. She'd mislaid her instruction book and the blade assembly looked much more complicated than the Cuisinart's I'm used to. Reviews on Amazon have echoed the problem of the slicer blade shaving off the plastic. Cuisinart reviews there seems more consistently positive, except for customer service when problems did arise.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

On the other hand, my neighbor had a KA blade chew up the plastic. She called me over for help, but I was flummixed. She'd mislaid her instruction book and the blade assembly looked much more complicated than the Cuisinart's I'm used to. Reviews on Amazon have echoed the problem of the slicer blade shaving off the plastic. Cuisinart reviews there seems more consistently positive, except for customer service when problems did arise.

MottMott I know someone that had the same thing happen to her. Her mistake though was to try and use the regular blade in the smaller Chefs bowl. You can only use the grating/slicing blades with that bowl.

I bought a new food processor earlier this year. I gave my perfectly good Cuisinart to my son, and initially bought a Kitchenaid Model KFPM770. I only had it a couple of weeks, when grating cheese the grater blade stuck to the shaft and I couldn't remove it. I dropped it off at a authorized dealer in Victoria and to make a long story short, three months later I ended up upgrading to their Pro Line Model #KPFP850. And because of all the problems that occured Kitchenaid Canada (Whirlpool) sent me the matching Pro Line blender as a gift.

I've been using it now for about 4 or 5 months and I'm really pleased with it.

Ann

MottMott I know someone that had the same thing happen to her.  Her mistake though was to try and use the regular blade in the smaller Chefs bowl. You can only use the grating/slicing blades with that bowl.

I bought a new food processor earlier this year.  I gave my perfectly good Cuisinart to my son, and initially bought a Kitchenaid Model KFPM770.  I only had it a couple of weeks, when grating cheese the grater blade stuck to the shaft and I couldn't remove it.  I dropped it off at a authorized dealer in Victoria and to make a long story short, three months later I  ended up upgrading to their Pro Line Model #KPFP850.  And because of all the problems that occured Kitchenaid Canada (Whirlpool) sent me the matching Pro Line  blender as a gift.  

I've been using it now for about 4 or 5 months and I'm really pleased with it. 

Ann

The blade sticking is another problem mentioned in the reviews a couple times, as well as the plastic being shaved off. In my neighbor's case, she was using the large bowl.

The 850 looks like a really powerful machine. Have you used it for making dough? How often do you use it?

edited to add:

Just checked the 3 reviews on Amazon (on KA850); 2 of the 3 complained vigorously about the cleanup problems, one specifically omplained, comparing it to a previously owned Cuisinart, that it took 4 times as long to clean. One complained of the lid popping off when chopping mozzarella on more than one occasion.

Also, could you clarify this for me: when using the 10 cup bowl do you have it inside the 16c bowl, much as with the mini bowl? There seemed to be complaint about spillage out into the larger bowl.

Edited by Mottmott (log)

I probably use it at least 4 times a week, sometimes more. I make bread 2 to 3 times a week and the KA does a great job. It is quite powerful with 1000 watts. Making bread was the main reason I upgraded to this model.

There are three bowls. The chef's bowl is the medium size bowl and only works with the grater/slicer blades. And it rests inside the large bowl. It can't be used independently. I have only used it a couple of times. When I use the grating/slicing blades I use them in the large bowl. And I haven't been that impressed with the mini bowl and blade either.

All the parts fit in the dishwasher so I haven't found the clean up a big problem. But the plastic blade would be a pain in the ass to clean if it couldn't go in the dishwasher. I find that when I am making a soft dough that some if gets up inside the blade.

Ann

I probably use it at least 4 times a week, sometimes more.  I make bread 2 to 3 times a week and the KA does a great job.  It is quite powerful with 1000 watts.  Making bread was the main reason I upgraded to this model.

There are three bowls.  The chef's bowl is the medium size bowl and only works with the grater/slicer blades.  And it rests inside the large bowl.  It can't be used independently.  I have only used it a couple of times.  When I use the grating/slicing blades I use them in the large bowl.  And I haven't been that impressed with the mini bowl and blade either. 

All the parts fit in the dishwasher so I haven't found the clean up a big problem.  But the plastic blade would be a pain in the ass to clean if it couldn't go in the dishwasher.  I find that when I am making a soft dough that some if gets up inside the blade.

Ann

I appreciate all the detail, Ann.

It sounds as if the 10 cup and/or the mini bowl would just be 2/3 more things to store somewhere for me. First, I don't do all that much processor slicing (except for caramelized onions) and the microplaner takes care of most of my grating. Second I already have a mini cuisinart. (Though I could give that to one of my DIL's.) Taking all that and the extra $50 over the 14 cup Cuisinart PowerPlus, I may go with the Cuisinart unless I start hearing of serious defects there. Plus, if I read the specs right, you machine takes up a fair bit of counter real estate. Of couirse it was a great deal for you, aside from the 3 months straightening out your problems with the 770. You also have a free blender now that looks pretty powerful. :wink:

We already own a couple of Kitchenaids, which are great. However, having used them professionally, if I had to spend the money I would definitely get a Robotcoupe. The Hobart of food processors, I have no doubt that these things will get passed down to the next generation.

Mottmott, it really does take up a lot of space on the counter. Since there are just two of us for most meals, I don't use it a lot for slicing either. Although I used it the other day to slice onions for french onion soup and again on Friday night to cut potatoes into almost julienned sticks for shoestring fries. Really did a great job.

I love the microplanes and agree with you that they take care of most of my grating needs as well. Although if I need fresh bread crumbs or lots of grated parmesan cheese I get out the mini kitchenaid or use the processor bowl with the Braun stick blender. Both do a really good job.

I have to tell you that the KA blender is amazing. Not only is it powerful but it cleans up easier than any blender I have ever owned. I don't even use a blender all that often and yet I have gone through both a KA and a Cuisinart and wasn't over impressed. Neither of them lasted more than 2 years. . I had replaced my last blender with a Breville and had no intention of replacing it, until KA sent me the new blender. My son was happy to take the Breville off my hands.

Ann

I have to tell you that the KA blender is amazing.  Not only is it powerful but it cleans up easier than any blender I have ever owned.    I don't even use a blender all that often and yet I have gone through both a KA and a Cuisinart and wasn't over impressed.  Neither of them lasted more than 2 years. .  I had replaced my last blender with a Breville and had no intention of replacing it, until KA sent me the  new blender.  My son was happy to take the Breville off my hands. 

Ann

I'm not in the market for a blender just now, my Waring is only 40 years old. :wub:

Ease of cleaning IS an issue. With my old Cuisinart unless I used it for something greasy or let the food dry in it, I could simply rinse it out with or without a swirl of soap and turn it upside down to dry. Ditto with the blender.

We already own a couple of Kitchenaids, which are great.  However, having used them professionally, if I had to spend the money I would definitely get a Robotcoupe.  The Hobart of food processors, I have no doubt that these things will get passed down to the next generation.

Yes, they look impressive. And I particularly eyed the model with the little hole in the middle of the top. Does that have another top for slicing and shredding, etc?

It's a big piece of equipment with a big price for an amateur cook, in a solo household at that. Neverthless, I'm willing to be convinced. I've reached the age where I justify many luxuries by deeming them heirlooms. :wink:

I bought a KA processor earlier this year and really love it. It makes quick work of rough chopping and grating, and I've used it for everything from nut crusts for fish to salsas and uncooked pasta sauces with great success. Incidentally by keeping it out on the counter I think I use it considerably more than if it were tucked away on a cabinet.

My only minor compalint is that water and liquids tend to get trapped in the clear plastic handle. I usually throw all the parts in the dishwasher and have noticed soap still there after the dry cyucle. Just a small design flaw on an otherwise exceptional tool.

I bought a KA processor earlier this year and really love it. It makes quick work of rough chopping and grating, and I've used it for everything from nut crusts for fish to salsas and uncooked pasta sauces with great success. Incidentally by keeping it out on the counter I think I use it considerably more than if it were tucked away on a cabinet.

My only minor compalint is that water and liquids tend to get trapped in the clear plastic handle. I usually throw all the parts in the dishwasher and have noticed soap still there after the dry cyucle. Just a small design flaw on an otherwise exceptional tool.

Do you have the KFP 760/ KFP 770 (12 cup) or the KPFP850 (16 cup)? Have you used the special dough feature?

Yes, I always keep mine on the counter. It lives in an otherwise dead corner between the stove and sink. I only need to tug it forward a little and it's on duty. Very convenient. I use it constantly.

For completeness. I made a decision: the Cuisinart DLC 2014 cup Power Prep Plus. I looked at the Kitchenaid, even made the poor saleswoman dig out the bits and pieces not on display so I could "play" with it to determine how I liked moving the bits about. Well, then and there, Kitchenaid was history. Too many bits, too many directions about how to do this and that.

Gave the Cuisinart a similar checkout and bought the one that allows me to do 3 lbs of dough at a time.