• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: rarerollingobject (2011) - Mealtimes at the University of

Kate, do you get Alphonso mangoes in Australia? If so, are they imported from India or are they grown locally?

I don't think I've ever seen them here, except canned/pulp. I believe they are wonderful, the apotheosis of mango! Do you get them in the US? A dhaba place I like has 'Alphonso mango kulfi' that is just delicious, but TBH, without a comparison Alphonso, not sure what the deliciousness premium is over other mango types.

RRO, I can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve next. I have to agree with everyone so far about the produce, seafood and the terrific restaurants! You're so lucky to live in such an awesome country. I must say, you really seem to know how to take advantage of this great stuff, and you obviously have a knack for putting things together in the kitchen. Savory oatmeal is something that never would have ever crossed my mind. It's been a real eye-opening week thus far. When I have a chance to sit and read eG, this is the first thread I check. Just fabulous.

Thank you so much, this just about made my day (and made me blush, which is nigh impossible!)

RRO / Kate: I am so glad that you are blogging this week, because I always enjoy seeing and hearing about your meals. Thai Food above the fridge should have been a tip-off. Do you have any planned for this week?

You do have a very, um, efficient kitchen, but at least the pantry space seems fairly generous (or perhaps you use it very efficiently).

Whiskers Blake and blue cheese - that'll cure a hard day at work. And savory oatmeal - genius! Suitably added to my list, but I'll pass on the salty fish version, thankewverymuch.

Unfortunately I ran out of words before commenting on all of the fascinating things you have been sharing. Keep up the good work!

Bruce! So chuffed to see you are reading. The pantry space is OK, but it's SO far away from the kitchen that it's a total PITA to be in the middle of cooking a dish and think "oh! I need x!" and have to go traipsing off to no man's land (down the hallway, I'm being dramatic).

I still remember YOUR kitchen from your foodblog..I never forget a good kitchen!

If you thought "she couldn't possibly take more pictures of fish" you'd be wrong! This is my favourite Chinatown fish shop, where I mostly shop in between visits to the big fish markets - mostly because this one is right next door to my work, and they always have interesting things:

Like neon spanner crabs:

2011-07-28 at 13.02.00.jpg

Lots of whole fish:

2011-07-28 at 13.02.31.jpg

2011-07-28 at 13.02.09.jpg

2011-07-28 at 13.02.24.jpg

2011-07-28 at 13.02.36.jpg

2011-07-28 at 13.02.45.jpg

2011-07-28 at 13.02.50.jpg

2011-07-28 at 13.03.39.jpg

Top shell!

2011-07-28 at 13.04.05.jpg

2011-07-28 at 13.04.08.jpg

My favourite bellies and cheeks and heads, all nicely carved open and ready for cooking:

2011-07-28 at 13.04.34.jpg

2011-07-28 at 13.04.52.jpg

My pork tail purveyor of choice:

2011-07-28 at 13.15.41.jpg

2011-07-28 at 13.15.32.jpg

2011-07-28 at 13.15.48.jpg

2011-07-28 at 13.15.52.jpg

2011-07-28 at 13.15.36.jpg

And then yum cha, with the omnipresent 'hand of colleague'. These photos were taken quite haphazardly, as I had to fend off the feeding frenzy so I could get a shot in without meeting the pointy end of a chopstick.

2011-07-28 at 12.22.28.jpg

2011-07-28 at 12.16.15.jpg

2011-07-28 at 12.16.24.jpg

2011-07-28 at 12.16.31.jpg

2011-07-28 at 12.20.11.jpg

2011-07-28 at 12.29.33.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

Dinner was a bit of an old standby for me: roast pork, prawn and pomelo salad. I sometimes manage to get this awesome guy at work to make roast pork for me, but alas, he's on leave so I stopped by my favourite roastie/chop shop for the pork:

2011-07-28 at 17.55.54.jpg

2011-07-28 at 17.56.32.jpg

2011-07-28 at 17.56.13.jpg

Here's the prep: the pomelo I bought yesterday, a couple of prawns I picked up at the Chinatown fish shop today, Thai pickled ginger, lobster chips (prawn chip variation - offputtingly named 'Labzter'..), mint, red chilli, lime, and crispy fried shallots and garlic.

2011-07-28 at 18.25.18.jpg

And the dressing, with palm sugar and fish sauce:

2011-07-28 at 18.52.16.jpg

Everything prepped in below (including some cashews):

2011-07-28 at 18.54.18.jpg

Plated:

2011-07-28 at 19.00.18.jpg

And dessert, a ginger sidecar:

2011-07-28 at 20.11.29.jpg

All in all, not exactly a winter dish but at least there are no pans to wash up!

And last pic for the evening: a little prep for something for breakfast tomorrow; chopped squid, scallops and prawns. I didn't get any breakfast today, as some joker scheduled a 7am meeting - but that joker was my boss's boss, so not showing up for the sake of breakfast might have been a bit of career limiting move. :laugh:

I'm quite the cranky she-beast without breakfast, so tomorrow..I'm compensating!

2011-07-28 at 20.43.51.jpg

RRO, I must say I'm really enjoying this blog. The range of ingredients you guys enjoy over there is really something else, and I can see why you've taken so many fish and seafood photos. Fantastic stuff!

I should report that a friend of mine has been in Sydney for the last couple of weeks. Most of her photos on facebook show her sunbathing and swimming, and a bikini seems to be the attire of choice. Sydney's winter weather is apparently better than Irish summer.

Can I ask a simple question: how do you pronounce Woolloomooloo?

RRO, I must say I'm really enjoying this blog. The range of ingredients you guys enjoy over there is really something else, and I can see why you've taken so many fish and seafood photos. Fantastic stuff!

I should report that a friend of mine has been in Sydney for the last couple of weeks. Most of her photos on facebook show her sunbathing and swimming, and a bikini seems to be the attire of choice. Sydney's winter weather is apparently better than Irish summer.

Can I ask a simple question: how do you pronounce Woolloomooloo?

Your friend may be a little crazy! It's the coldest winter we've had in years. Years!. On the other hand, my office window looks straight into the rooftop pool of the predominantly Irish (and, apologies, English) youth hostel opposite, and if the number of kids stripping off at all hours of the day to jump gleefully into the pool in THIS weather is any indication..you are a brave people!

As for pronunciation: Wool (like what's on a sheep) - Wool-la-mulloo. Said fast, with feeling.

So cold, so very, very cold. Sydney has this icy wind that comes down between the buildings that adds wind chill factor. Also, us Sydney siders aren't very good at dealing with anything that's not balmy weather. No central heating etc, in the main.

Loving the blog. Must go back to Emperor's Garden for some soy chicken...Was that Marigold for yum cha?

Lovely blog. Dragged me out of lurkdum.

cheers

Maliaty

I believe my grandma cooked the oatmeal first, and then add the meat. Since the oatmeal holds the heat so well, it cooks the meat quickly, keeping the meat tender. If flavor is more important, then the meat goes into the water the same time as the oatmeal.

Same applies to the way my Mom taught me. The pork is sliced very thin, seasoned and marinated with a bit of oil and cornstarch. With conpoy, she'd add it shredded at the same time as the the oatmeal.

The "all-things-envy" has not stopped! Thank you for posting the Chinatown fish market. I especially appreciate seeing the TOPSHELL image. I have used them from a can but have never seen an actual topshell- the poor man's abalone.

You seem to eat the craziest, most unconventional breakfasts. I love that about you! :laugh: Blog on!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Shredded duck meat and jelly fish?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Kate, do you get Alphonso mangoes in Australia? If so, are they imported from India or are they grown locally?

I don't think I've ever seen them here, except canned/pulp. I believe they are wonderful, the apotheosis of mango! Do you get them in the US? A dhaba place I like has 'Alphonso mango kulfi' that is just delicious, but TBH, without a comparison Alphonso, not sure what the deliciousness premium is over other mango types.

This blog is making me HUNGRY !! :laugh:

Until recently, Alphonso mangoes were banned in the US. However, now they allow them if they have been irradiated, which keeps the supply limited. Given the high price ($30-$50/dozen), most shop keepers do not keep them in stock. One year I bought a dozen for $10 each via mail order, but this season I could not even special order them.

I think the taste is special enough to warrant the premium, but not everyone may agree.

Great pics of the dim sum and fish market. Given your mouthwatering posts on the Dinner and Breakfasts threads, what was the inspiration that got you cooking Asian food and master this cuisine?

What do spanner crabs taste like? Do you get Singapore style chili crab at any of the stores or better yet - do you have a recipe for it?

Silly question: Can you tell us why you're rarerollingobject?

Do you know, I don't think I can remember..it's a screen name I've used for years, way back since the heady days of dial up plans in 1995. My other regular screen name was 'nogodsnomanagers', which was fine for my rebellious punk years but I felt I should leave that one behind once I grew up, got a serious job and, therefore, a manager! Now I not only have a manager, but I am one! :laugh:

So cold, so very, very cold. Sydney has this icy wind that comes down between the buildings that adds wind chill factor. Also, us Sydney siders aren't very good at dealing with anything that's not balmy weather. No central heating etc, in the main.

Loving the blog. Must go back to Emperor's Garden for some soy chicken...Was that Marigold for yum cha?

Lovely blog. Dragged me out of lurkdum.

cheers

Maliaty

Hey! Another Sydneysider! Great to hear from you. Marigold was actually my yum cha of choice for years and years, but lately I think they've slipped so I've transferred allegiance to Zilver (the artist formerly known as Silver Spring), where these photos were taken.

Thank you for posting the Chinatown fish market. I especially appreciate seeing the TOPSHELL image. I have used them from a can but have never seen an actual topshell- the poor man's abalone.

You seem to eat the craziest, most unconventional breakfasts. I love that about you! :laugh: Blog on!

Do you know how tempted I was to buy a top shell? I was seriously considering it..but I've never cooked a fresh one before, so am going to do a little research before buying one, so I can do it justice.

I do eat odd breakfasts..I know many people prefer the comfort of routine for breakfast, but not me..the weirder, the better. Nothing depresses me first thing in the morning like cold cereal and limp toast (precious, aren't I? Truly a 'first world problem'!).

This blog is making me HUNGRY !! :laugh:

Until recently, Alphonso mangoes were banned in the US. However, now they allow them if they have been irradiated, which keeps the supply limited. Given the high price ($30-$50/dozen), most shop keepers do not keep them in stock. One year I bought a dozen for $10 each via mail order, but this season I could not even special order them.

I think the taste is special enough to warrant the premium, but not everyone may agree.

Great pics of the dim sum and fish market. Given your mouthwatering posts on the Dinner and Breakfasts threads, what was the inspiration that got you cooking Asian food and master this cuisine?

What do spanner crabs taste like? Do you get Singapore style chili crab at any of the stores or better yet - do you have a recipe for it?

I grew up eating Chinese food, so in many ways, it's the only thing I know and it's 'Western' food I don't know how to cook. For example, I literally have cooked one potato in my whole life, and eat so little bread that we don't own a toaster. So, I can't make you mashed potato, but dongpo pork belly or ma po tofu? With my eyes closed. :biggrin:

Spanner crabs don't have much meat but they're very sweet. Most of the meat is in the body, rather than the claws as with other types of crab. Lots of places to get Singapore crab here - in fact, some that do nothing else - but I've never made it myself!

Speaking of breakfasts: this is the dish I'd prepped all that seafood last night for. Pajeon, or Korean green onion pancakes with seafood. You can use any kind of seafood, but I've used squid, scallops and prawns. Oysters or baby octopus are also nice. The green parts only of the onions.

Call it lazy, I call it doing what every Korean friend I know does and use a packaged mix! It's basically flour, rice flour for lightness and crispiness, onion and garlic powders etc.

2011-07-29 at 07.19.47.jpg

Ready to be mixed together:

2011-07-29 at 07.23.59.jpg

Frying to golden brown (in duck fat, naturally!):

2011-07-29 at 07.26.23.jpg

And finished. With a little dipping sauce of soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar and sesame seeds:

2011-07-29 at 07.40.36.jpg

Yum. Should shut me up for awhile! :raz:

I will search out a mix and make those pancakes the next time I hit the Korean market! The shot of them in the pan cooking looks like there is little to no oil in there. Can you clarify?

That pomelo salad also needs to be replicated in my kitchen (sensing a trend here...) - did you re-crisp the duck, and are the lobster chips just ready to eat or did they need to be crisped? I love having the fried shallots and garlic in the pantry. Have you ever made your own just to compare?

Pajeon mix...that sounds like an idea that might put pajeon on the lunchbox menu more often.

Please do share details of your pomelo salad...I have a favorite pork and pomelo salad too, but it couldn't be more different from yours. Want to know more about the history of yours!

Cold Sydney winter...sounds just the thing, she says, eyeing the airconditioner remote.

Dinner was a bit of an old standby for me: roast pork, prawn and pomelo salad. I sometimes manage to get this awesome guy at work to make roast pork for me, but alas, he's on leave so I stopped by my favourite roastie/chop shop for the pork:

2011-07-28 at 17.55.54.jpg

2011-07-28 at 17.56.32.jpg

2011-07-28 at 17.56.13.jpg

Here's the prep: the pomelo I bought yesterday, a couple of prawns I picked up at the Chinatown fish shop today, Thai pickled ginger, lobster chips (prawn chip variation - offputtingly named 'Labzter'..), mint, red chilli, lime, and crispy fried shallots and garlic.

2011-07-28 at 18.25.18.jpg

And the dressing, with palm sugar and fish sauce:

2011-07-28 at 18.52.16.jpg

Everything prepped in below (including some cashews):

2011-07-28 at 18.54.18.jpg

Plated:

2011-07-28 at 19.00.18.jpg

And dessert, a ginger sidecar:

2011-07-28 at 20.11.29.jpg

All in all, not exactly a winter dish but at least there are no pans to wash up!

(Cries, quietly)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"