• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What will be the next "hot" dessert trend?

JeanneCake

smores are trending at the moment -

s'mores are hot and are being offered by caterers around the country as interactive dessert stations or even centerpieces for events.

Check out the caterbuzz blog post that offers many suggestions on s'mores variations

http://caterbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/12/some-more-smores-or-is-it-smores-lots.html

Loved the presentation with the sterno in the river rocks... but seriously who points a torch at someone holding a marshmallow! :blink: One of my accounts has been doing a smores station since the fall, and it's fun to make different marshmallow flavors. We've been doing a tart with graham tart shells filled with an enriched ganache and topped with mini marshmallows and torched before going out for display or passing; I really like the "interactive" presentation!

I see more of those push pop things and wonder about that... is it messy? It can't be cheap, what with buying the pops and covers and a stand....

My rolling pin and I can now confirm that the next "hot" dessert in central Ecuador is Lemon Meringue Pie....

That which is old is new again...?

Apparently. However, seeing as how lemon pie (or any citrus pie, really) is something that's never been seen here before, maybe it's just "that which is new...."

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)