• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avoiding food products from China

DanM

For the umpteenth time. food adulteration is a global issue and picking on China is, at best, unhelpful and, at worst, dangerous

Ignoring China's food safety problems is what is dangerous.

Ignoring China's food safety problems is what is dangerous.

I'm not in any way suggesting it should be ignored. 

I'm saying that singling out one country is dangerous because it gives the impression that everywhere else is OK. As has been shown over and over again, that simply isn't true.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Most produce, poultry, meat, and dry goods in S'pore comes from Malaysia, via the bridge in J.B. (Johor Bahru), the very same bridge the Japanese used in WWII to enter and occupy S'pore, and a lot of produce comes from neighboring Indonasia as well.

Anyone that has travelled overland from singapore to malaya (or west malaysia) would have noticed that all the highway signs indicate it as the causeway and not the ' bridge". Yes, lots of produce go over that causeway from malaysia  to singapore. 

not sure why you appended that reference about the japanese using that ' bridge' to enter and occupy singapore, but if you check your facts, you will notice that it is a classic example of how the colonial governments, and expats,  are isolated and out of touch with  what is happening on the ground, at that time.

and in case you are not aware there is the Malaysia–Singapore Second Link (Malay: Laluan Kedua Malaysia–Singapura), is a bridge connecting Singapore and Johor, Malaysia. In Singapore, it is officially known as the Tuas Second Link, and no, it is not officially or locally called a bridge.

and produce from Indonesia or China, or australia, etc, do not go over that Tuas second link or even the old causeway.

check your facts pulease!

While working in the hotels in S'pore, I had the luxury of ordering just about any ingredient I wanted--with the exception of poppy seeds and bubble gum.  No tariffs or import duties on food products from Europe, N.America, or any other place.  I could get USDA prime 109a's (prime rib) Avoset cream, HaagenDazs icecream, Swiss joghurt, French cheeses, German bakery products, etc, etc.  These products are widely available in NTUC and other grocery stores as well.

Yes, if we are talking about the ' luxury'  or privilege  of expats who can afford to do so.

but what does it say about food safety standards in singapore and what the locals have to live with who shop only in the wet markets? and how is it related to hhe OP of this thread, ie to avoid or boycott any China food products...... yes you  can easily boycott or avoid the local produce that the great unwashed masses live on., 

check your facts, and have a look at 

Agri-food & veterinary authority of singapore.

It's dangerous to eat, it's more dangerous to live.

Forgot the last question.

Why?

Because China DOES export a lot of food.  At any grocery store here in Vancouver, I can buy the enormous 2 lb carrots, chinese garlic, ginger, Lytchees, logans, mandarin oranges, etc. If I choose to.   Should there be a food scandal with Chinese fruits and vegetables, or meat, poultry, or  poultry products in the future, importing countries will want some kind of a guarantee that guidlines and procedures are being adhered to. 

I could have written that China would adopt USDA regulations, but these regulations only deal with one country, EU regulations cover many, many countries.

My question is, why would China or any other country, want to implement EU standards? 

In my earlier post, i wrote : Try replacing Chinese Govt with US Gov’t as in your statement:
‘For the Chinese Gov’t to impliment E.U. standards on export food products is very difficult, if not downright impossible.’ 

And if you do replace Chinese Govt with US Govt:, you will get ‘For the US Gov’t to impliment E.U. standards on export food products is very difficult, if not downright impossible.’ 

Do you think the US/CDN govt will ever adopt EU standards?

If you think EU food export standards (whatever that means) are so ‘perfect’ then why not push for its implementation in the US or Canada? If you so want EU food standards in wherever you live in N America, then in the most unlikely possiblility that you or anyone will succeed, then one consequence would be a ban on hormone injected/fed beef and Mon Santo GMO porducts,etc, etc.

But why pick on China?

China does export a lot of food, but it imports more than it exports. Check your facts especially where it relates to China/US food imports/exports. So, who is poisoning whom, assuming there is poisoning going on every which way?

From the view of any producer looking to export their goods:

U.S.A. = 1 (one ) country

E.U = what, 27? Countries?  Don't know if Croatia currently is or not. 

So here's a decision to make: Adopt one standard for one country, or adopt 1 standard for 27 countries.

Does that make sense?

I always read the lables on cans, bottles, boxes, and any such containers in the market.

It isn't to do with any predjudice toward Asian People or Chinese in particular,  but I insist on food purity.   I see so many food lables now that won't say where the food comes from, but rather "Distributed by" some outfit based in the USA.

If they won't tell me where it comes from,  I assume the worst and choose not to purchase it. 

Some times I think today's Globalist entrepreneurs  have dollar signs "$" in their eyes in place of pupils.

I always read the lables on cans, bottles, boxes, and any such containers in the market.

I see so many food lables now that won't say where the food comes from, but rather "Distributed by" some outfit based in the USA.

Interesting. Are there no US state or federal laws which say that the origin must be stated? The labels on canned, bottled boxed etc. in China always give the origin.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It doesn't look like there is for bottled products such as sauces, or dried or canned products. There is a law which requires retailers to provide country-of-origin labeling for fresh beef, pork, and lamb. The program exempts processed meats. he United States Congress passed an expansion of the COOL requirements on 29 September 2008, to include more food items such as fresh fruits, nuts and vegetables.  I imagin that if a state attempted to require such labeling it might be declared unconstitutional for interfering with interstate commerce. but that would be long after big business brought all its pressure to bear on any state that dared to interfere with its bottom line.  "Distributed by" or "packed by " with a USA company name doesn't mean much.My bottle of capers were a product of Spain, my LKK Oyater Sauce is a product of the USA my bottle of LKK Char Siu sauce is a product of China, and my bottle of Hoisin Sauce is "distributed" by a Florida company, but I doubt it's a Florida product or even a USA product.  The frozen Chinese pork buns I once bought were a product of the Bronx in New York City and tasted like breakfast sausage so I opened one up took out the ball of meat and other ingredients and decided that if you flattened the ball you'd have a breakfast sausage patty. Since I prefer link sausage I never bought the buns again.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Liuzhou,

There used to be before this Globalization trend.  To me this is an alarming trend. 

Recently I've seen this with canned Tuna, Jack Mackeral, Salmon, Apple Juice, and a variety of other

products such as pasta. 

So often these products can be found in thrift and discount stores or Walmart and now even at ALDI's.

It seems like these are places where the less prosperous people will consume and are limited to shopping

within walking distance of their living areas.  We have a term, http://americannutritionassociation.org/newsletter/usda-defines-food-deserts.  that describes this in the

USA.  And they seem to be the dumping grounds for this practice. 

But like I stated, if it doesn't state the origins of the product then I don't trust it or purchase it.  I have a responsibility

to the guest who visit my establishment.

Edited by ChefPip (log)

Heinz doesn't represent America, it's an international company apparently making contaminated cereal in China from contaminated Chinese soybean products....

If Heinz does not represent America (you mean the US of A? And not ALL of the americas?) then which company does, in the food industry represents the US? 

If you google for heinz, you will find this link:

Discover the World of Heinz
www.heinz.com/
Heinz is the most global U.S.-based food company, with a world-class portfolio of powerful brands holding number-one and number-two market positions in ...

"A soil survey in April showed that nearly a fifth of China's farmland was contaminated by toxic heavy metals and chemicals, and that more than 33,000 sq km (12,740 sq miles) – an area the size of Belgium - were unfit for agricultural use."

Source: http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2014/08/19/heinz-to-tighten-supplier-controls-in-china-after-infant-food-scare/

That http://www.foxbusiness.com/ article that you referred to, is all about how Heinz is poisoning Chinese with its products in China, none of which, as far as i can tell are exported back to the US.

A ‘soil survey in April’?  With no references as to where this was published, or how foxbusine came to this conclusion?  For a country the size of China, any kind of country wide soil survey would have been a humonguous effort, and would have been published, in some form or another. Unless, of course you prefer to believe that China suppresses all such information. In which case, how did foxbusine get hold of such information and cannot or will not make references to it?

Can you quote a nationawide survey of US farmland that says how much of its farmland is contaminated? Or is it your believe that no farmland in US is contaminated in one form or another?  And therefore no nationwide soil survey has ever been carried out or is even necessary?  

In any case, why the emotive reference to belgium and 33000 sq km? How is that size of land compared to the size of China as a country, or even to the US, or Canada or the EU?

No one is denying that there are contaminated farmlands in China. Is it a China problem or a world wide problem. Check your facts, pulease.

You may want to check your own backyard, and this website on the ‘ state of affairs’  in the US

I’ll try to be unbiased. Concerning non-food items, that the Chinese stuff is cheap does not translate to low-quality all the time. They have very low wages and that’s why their stuff is cheap. I don’t like the idea of condemning them because they work very hard to compete in the world market. I should add that the Chinese ways of supplying low-quality, cheap stuff is fueled by American demand for cheap things that break in a day.

But, honestly, I will not buy food from China because they just don’t provide that good image that you would like to see in someone you trust with what you eat. The image they have created is one of lack of accountability and control and disregard of international norms of quality. And than there is the extremely low quality of life and poverty that further adds to the problems in the rural where the food is probably coming from. You cannot just trust the food that comes from a place where the health of the local people are hardly paid any attention.

As I said, I don’t want to be prejudiced against China. They have done a great job saving millions from poverty over the last few decades but until they sort out the issues above, I cannot trust them with food.

• 4 months later...

Host's note: this post and the responses were moved from the Peeled garlic topic.

Thank you huiray - wary indeed.

If you have not done so already, I would suggest you (or anyone interested for that matter) do a bit of reading on the % of agriculture goods imported from China that are rejected by Canada and the US vs. other countries of origin and what they find in products grown there.

Quite scary, actually.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Thank you huiray - wary indeed.

If you have not done so already, I would suggest you (or anyone interested for that matter) do a bit of reading on the % of agriculture goods imported from China that are rejected by Canada and the US vs. other countries of origin and what they find in products grown there.

Quite scary, actually.

Sorry, I think that involves a bit of scare-mongering.  There has been a recent thread here on eG, for that matter, about the unwarranted demonization of goods from China.  Look it up.

....scare mongering....

the FDA issues Import Alerts - the alerts are intended to detain imported foodstuffs until they are proven safe by 'other than the importer' and alerts are issued based on continuing issues/violations experienced.

see:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/country_CN.html

China tops the list at 79 standing alerts.

queesy, eh?  and Canada is second....  that's a surprise.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/countrylist.html

Edited by AlaMoi (log)

....scare mongering....

the FDA issues Import Alerts - the alerts are intended to detain imported foodstuffs until they are proven safe by 'other than the importer' and alerts are issued based on continuing issues/violations experienced.

see:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/country_CN.html

China tops the list at 79 standing alerts.

queesy, eh?  and Canada is second....  that's a surprise.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/countrylist.html

I would preferred not to take this off topic BUT

"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) mission is to enforce the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic (FD&C) Act and other laws which are designed to protect consumers' health, safety, and pocketbook. These laws apply equally to domestic and imported products."

Quoted directly from the same site but bolding mine. Without context we cannot know why the alerts are in place for any country.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

...Without context we cannot know why the alerts are in place for any country.

you obviously have not looked at the link.  the FDA seems to have provided some minor indications of context and reasons

here's from 27 Jan 2015

/quote

Import Alert # 16-105
Published Date: 01/27/2015
Type: DWPE
Import Alert Name:
"Detention Without Physical Examination of Seafood and Seafood Products from Specific Manufacturers/Shippers Due to Decomposition and/or Histamines"

Reason for Alert:
DIOP has received recommendations from districts for detention without physical examination of seafood and seafood products from specific manufacturers/shippers due to decomposition. This import alert has been developed for manufacturers and shippers of decomposed seafood products and products that contain histamines that meet the criteria for detention without physical examination and cannot readily be included in previously existing alerts.

Since early May 1992, the Agency has noted several separate outbreaks of scrombroid poisoning attributed to fresh or frozen tuna. The most recent outbreak occurred in Florida and was traced to frozen tuna packed by a firm in Taiwan.
Guidance:
Districts may detain, without physical examination, shipments of the specified products from the firms identified on the Red List to this alert.

When districts encounter multiple violative shipments of seafood products for decomposition, detected organoleptically or as indole or histamines from the same manufacturer or shipper, a recommendation for detention, without physical examination, should be forwarded to DIOP. DIOP, in turn, will coordinate with CFSAN.

Compliance Policy Guide (CPG) 540.575 contains guidance for evaluating decomposition in fish. Refer to Compliance Program CP 7303.844 - Import Seafood Products for sample collection guidance and instructions on methodology for histamine or indole analysis.

For questions or issues concerning science, science policy, sample collection, analysis, preparation, or analytical methodology, contact the Division of Field Science at (301) 796-6600.

All requests for removal from detention without physical examination should be address to DIOP 301-796-0356.

Product Description:
Seafood and seafood products, except:

-Mahimahi covered under Import Alert #16-05;

-Shrimp covered under Import Alerts #16-18 and 16-35.

-Canned shrimp from Thailand covered under Import Alert #16-22;

-Canned tuna covered under Import Alert #16-95

Charge:
For decomposition:

"The article is subject to refusal of admission pursuant to Section 801(a)(3) in that it appears to consist in whole or in part of a decomposed substance, or to be otherwise unfit for food. [Adulteration, Section 402(a)(3)]"

OASIS charge code - FILTHY

For histamine:

"The article is subject to refusal of admission pursuant to Section 801(a)(3) in that it appears to bear or contain histamine, a poisonous and deleterious substance in such quantity as ordinarily renders it injurious to health. [Adulteration, Section 402(a)(1)]"

OASIS charge code - POISONOUS

BRAZIL
Blanke Comercio de Pescados
Date Published : 04/26/2013

R Jose Alves , Rua Historiador Luiz Do Nascimento 450 , Varzea, Recife, PE BRAZIL
16 J - - 06 Spiny Lobster, Rock Lobster
Date Published: 04/26/2013

Desc:Lobster Tail
Notes:Decomposition
16 J - - 08 Slipper Lobster
Date Published: 04/26/2013

Desc:Lobster Tail

BURMA (MYANMAR)
Myint Myat Hein Co., Ltd.
Date Published : 09/10/2009

No 23 (b) Kwin Kyaung Rd , Ahlone Township , Yangon, BURMA (MYANMAR)
16 J - - 05 Shrimp & Prawns
Date Published: 09/10/2009

Desc:frozen
Notes:decomp
16 X - - 21 Shrimp and prawns, Aquaculture Harvested Fishery/Seafood Products

CHILE
Antarfish Sociedad Anonima

Grio: Reproduccion de Peces Y Mariscos , Casa Matriz: Moneda 920 Of. 205-206 , Santiago, CHILE
16 E - D 05 Scallops

Notes:Decomp
16 E - - 05 Scallops

Desc:fresh and frozen
Notes:Decomp

Pesquera Santa Lucia S.A.

Casilla 131 , Quintaro, CHILE
16 A - G 49 Whiting (King, Northern and Silver)

Productos Marinos Del Norte

Gallo 395 , Caldera, CHILE
16 E - A 05 Scallops

CHINA
DALIAN SHENGHUI FOOD CO.,LTD
Date Published : 11/04/2011

HEIDAO TOWN, ZHUANGHE, DALIAN , Dalian, Liaoningsheng CHINA
16 A - - 77 Sole
Date Published: 11/04/2011

Desc:Frozen Sole Blocks Sole

Dalian Rixin Aquatic Cultivation Co Ltd.
Date Published : 10/29/2009

111 The Frozen Factory, Guanjiashan , Dalian, CHINA
16 A - - 32 Salmon (Humpback, Silver, King, Sockeye, Etc.)
Date Published: 10/29/2009

Desc:Salmon
16 X - - 03 Salmon, all, Aquaculture Harvested Fishery/Seafood Products
Date Published: 10/29/2009

Desc:Salmon

Don Ggang Luyuan Food Co., Ltd.
Date Published : 12/28/2012

Yushu Village, Qianyang Town , Donggang Liaoning, CHINA
16 A - - 74 Monkfish
Date Published: 12/28/2012

Desc:Monkfish

RIZHAO HUAYANG FARMING AND AQUATIC PRODUCTS CO.,LTD.
Date Published : 08/21/2013

TONGHAI ROAD LANSHAN RIZHAO SHANDONG , CHINA , Rizhao, Shandongsheng CHINA
16 A - - 13 Croaker
Date Published: 08/21/2013

Desc:Croaker
Notes:PROBLEM -- Decomposition

Rizhao Huahai Aquatic Food Co Ltd
Date Published : 09/20/2013

001 Huanhai Road, Lanshan , Rizhao Shandong, CHINA
16 A - - 13 Croaker
Date Published: 09/20/2013

Desc:Croaker
Notes:Problem -- Decomposition

ShangHai MaLing RongCheng Foods. Co.,Ltd.
Date Published : 08/09/2012

No. 209 Ping Hai East Road , Rong Cheng, Shandong CHINA
16 A - - 22 Mackerel, Spanish or King
Date Published: 08/09/2012

Desc:Mackerel
16 A - - 73 Mackerel (all except Spanish or King see '22')
Date Published: 08/09/2012

Desc:Mackerel

Zhejiang Zhongda Trading Co. Ltd

No. 11f Tower A, Zhongda Plaza , Hangzhou, CHINA

Desc:frozen; IQF

Desc:frozen; IQF

ECUADOR
Analore, S.A.

Calle 14 y Avenida 21 , Manta, ECUADOR
16 A - D 69 Escolar

Desc:fresh; fresh frozen
Notes:Histamines

Bajespec, S. A.

Calle Principal- Malecon , Santa Rosa , Salinas, ECUADOR
16 A - D 69 Escolar

Crimaxi S.A

Sta Cecilia Mz.Xa Solar 14 , Santa-Rosa,Salinas, Guayaquil, ECUADOR
16 A - D 69 Escolar

EMPREDE S.A.
Date Published : 08/04/2014

g. cubillo 1212 y e. romero , g. cubillom 1212 y e. romero , Guayaquil, Guayas ECUADOR
Date Published: 08/04/2014

Desc:Shrimp
Date Published: 08/04/2014

Desc:Shrimp

Estemar S A aka Stella Maris

Unknown Street , Guayaquil, ECUADOR

Desc:fresh and fresh frozen

Pefresman Cia Ltda

Calle 113 Avenida 103 , Manta, ECUADOR
16 A - - 54 Marlin

Desc:Loins

Promarosa (Productos del Mar Santa Rosa Cia. Ltda.)

10 de Augosto 103 y Malecon P.B. Ofc. 11 , Guayaquil, ECUADOR
16 A - - 69 Escolar

Promarosa Productos Del Mar Ltda.

Calle 59 Entre Avenida 49 y 50 , Santa Rosa, Sector Carnitas , Salinas, ECUADOR
16 A - - 69 Escolar

Propemar S.A.
Date Published : 02/04/2014

Km. 2-1/2 Via San Mateo , Cdla. Los Gavilanes , Manta, Manabi ECUADOR
16 A - - 42 Swordfish
Date Published: 02/04/2014

Desc:Swordfish
Notes:PROBLEM; Decomposition

GUYANA
Tropical Products (GUY) Ltd

Lot 41 Boyle Place , Stabroek , Georgetown, GUYANA

INDONESIA
Cv Puri Rasa Food Industry

Br. Carik Padang, Desa Nyambu , Tabanan Bali, INDONESIA
16 A - - 45 Tuna (Albacore, Yellowfin, Bluefin, Skipjack, Etc.)

Desc:frozen fillet

Mandhaga Wiratama

Jl Cempaka Putih Tengah 17 , Jakarta, INDONESIA
16 A - - 45 Tuna (Albacore, Yellowfin, Bluefin, Skipjack, Etc.)

Desc:frozen;frozen smoked
Notes:decomp;histamines;carbon monoxide treated
16 S - - 45 Tuna (Albacore, Yellowfin, Bluefin, Skipjack, etc.), Cold Smoked, Fish

I obviously did consult the link else I would not have been able to quote from it! Without great knowledge and many hours it is impossible for you or I to determine how many of these alerts are truly safety related and how many of them are political issues. I notice that many of the Canadian one relate to medicine and medical appliances. Perhaps you are aware of the disagreement between our two countries on the importation of our drugs which are often cheaper but of equal quality.

Food safety is an issue in every country on this earth. You may continue this argument if you so wish but I have made the point I wanted to make and I'd like to go back to cooking.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog