• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aperitifs

schaem

Tho' this thread is old - seems like a rather timeless topic - so here's a round up of aperitifs around our house...

Warm to hot day - steak/sophisticated eats after...

3 parts Punt e Mes

1 part Campari

Splash of soda

Lemon rind...

~waves

Lots of nice suggestions waves. I love Negroni's also, but think of them as a cocktail rather than an aperatif. For something lighter I go for an Americano... basically a Negroni minus the gin. Similar to waves drink above, but I haven't used the soda...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Lots of nice suggestions waves....

Thank you...

But I forgot one recently added to the mix - champagne (kir royal, too) is often had in our home but we are fussy about the bubbly and Perrier-Jouet can really hammer your budget - I've found Boyer Brut Blanc de Blancs NV a great stand-in at about a third the price...

A good aperitif is key to the chef's amusement and subsequent family dining experience. But, then again, we often have a cheese course!

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

An aperatif should enliven the tastebuds prior to your meal so I'd go for a drink with some citrus....

Maybe even a straight up Daquiri made with a nice aged rum.

Having said that the vermouth idea sounds good....

A Cinzano Rosso and Tonic, loads of ice and a lemon twist.

Cheers

Vist Barbore to see the Scottish scene.

• 12 years later...

Italicus Rosolio di Bergamotto Liqueur

https://www.diffordsguide.com/beer-wine-spirits/liqueurs-alc-cordials/fruit-liqueurs/BWS005652/italicus-rosolio-di-bergamotto

Has anyone had this, yet?  I was reading about it recently and find it very intriguing.  It seems like a completely different category of aperitifs.  Curious to hear any opinions or reactions.

• Like 1

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

So many liqueurs, so little time! Sadly it seems nearly impossible to keep up with what is available or being "rereleased" these day, much less with new products.

Sounds intriguing though. Is it in the US yet?

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

On 10/13/2016 at 0:10 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

So many liqueurs, so little time! Sadly it seems nearly impossible to keep up with what is available or being "rereleased" these day, much less with new products.

Sounds intriguing though. Is it in the US yet?

I don't think it is in the U.S. yet.  I even checked with the Party Source, and this was their response, " Italicus has not been offered to us as of yet.  I checked their website, and it appears current distribution is limited to Europe.  We will certainly be on the lookout for it, and pick it up once it's available to us.")

Here is another article about it:

https://talesofthecocktail.com/products/new-italian-spirit-reviving-long-lost-category

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

19 minutes ago, brinza said:

I don't think it is in the U.S. yet.  I even checked with the Party Source, and this was their response, " Italicus has not been offered to us as of yet.  I checked their website, and it appears current distribution is limited to Europe.  We will certainly be on the lookout for it, and pick it up once it's available to us.")

Here is another article about it:

https://talesofthecocktail.com/products/new-italian-spirit-reviving-long-lost-category

This article says:

Italicus will be made available from Speciality Drinks and selected on-trade accounts across the UK from 5 September, carrying an RRP of £40.00. It will also make its debut in Milan and New York City.

but no dates mentioned.  

They also have a Facebook page

• Like 1