• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aperitifs

schaem

Sounds good, but there's always kir, kir royale, vermouth cassis, compari and...soda, or orange juice, or tonic, or compari, gin and sweet vermouth (well, OK, that's a Negroni), Pernod and water, Pernod and OJ. Cheers.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I'm curious about the Vermout-based aperitfs.  At work we just got some Italian single-producer (artisanal?) vermouths that are really interesting, but I haven't had much exposure to them.

Sounds like they might be enjoyed more straight then mixed up. Kind of like using good champagne in a Mimosa.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I agree, but is Italian Vermouth usually served room temp, neat?

Not in our house!

But my husband's grandmother was Italian. Red vermouth was the only alcohol in her house, except for a two gallon bottle of Gallo for cooking purposes.

Whenever Important Company came over, out came the vermouth...Gallo too, as I recall. Not, er, Artisanal.

And she always served it at room temp. My parents had to consure a glass or two ar nine in the morning. They sure aren't teetotallers, but it was a little early for them.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I'm curious about the Vermout-based aperitfs.  At work we just got some Italian single-producer (artisanal?) vermouths that are really interesting, but I haven't had much exposure to them.

Yum. Absolutely yum.

When I was in Italy, I discovered my very favorite aperitif. The Italians called it a 'Rosso e Bianco' -- 'Red & White.'

Mix equal parts red vermouth and white vermouth. Serve in martini glass, with a beautiful slice of lemon floating about in it.

This is best served cold. I actually like it so much I keep my vermouths in the fridge; but when I am elsewhere, stir it with ice cubes in a shaker, and strain into the glass.

Heavenly.

And I envy you your 'really interesting' and 'artisanal' vermouths. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Sweet vermouth on the rocks with a twist of lemon is a really nice starter as is Lillet Blanc with an orange slice. Of course kir and kir royale (as mentioned above) are classic. My favorite if I can get it is a glass of chilled Pineau des Charentes. Often I will scan the house cocktail menu for anything that sounds interesting and different.

Sweet vermouth on the rocks with a twist of lemon is a really nice starter as is Lillet Blanc with an orange slice. Of course kir and kir royale (as mentioned above) are classic. My favorite if I can get it is a glass of chilled Pineau des Charentes. Often I will scan the house cocktail menu for anything that sounds interesting and different.

Negroni.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I love amaros, which I think is what you mean by single-producer vermouths? Amaro Lucano is my favorite. Carpano's Antica formula red vermouth is really good too, and a pretty decent deal. I like it better than Punt e Mes. Antico amaro di Serravalle I wasn't so crazy about, it was a little sweet for me, and we still haven't cracked open the bottle Amaro Nonino yet. You can drink them pretty much however you like. Sometimes I drink them neat, at room temp, sometimes I use them in place of regular sweet vermouth in cocktails (they make a much nicer manhattan) and sometimes I drink them on the rocks with a slice of lemon or the same with a splash of mineral water.

regards,

trillium

Yes. Amaros. Thank you.

Trillium, I noticed on another thread you said you were going to make an Amaro, could you give us some details please? Perhaps an Amaro thread is in order as I plan to begin "investigating" the ones we have at work.

Edited by schaem (log)

When I was in Italy, I discovered my very favorite aperitif.  The Italians called it a 'Rosso e Bianco' --  'Red & White.'

Mix equal parts red vermouth and white vermouth.  Serve in martini glass, with a beautiful slice of lemon floating about in it.

This is best served cold.  I actually like it so much I keep my vermouths in the fridge; but when I am elsewhere, stir it with ice cubes in a shaker, and strain into the glass.

Jaymes, I have been very curious about rosso e biancos. Have you made them since your return? Do you think they would be good with everyday vermouth like Noilly Pratt or Martini?

I keep my vermouth in the fridge, too. Doesn't it keep better?

I am very fond of proseco before dinner. And French 75's are very good, too. I have been experimenting with a variety of champagne cocktails--maybe a new thread is in order!

Also, as Nightscotsman says, a nice glass of Lillet with an orange slice is always a good thing.

Jaymes, I have been very curious about rosso e biancos. Have you made them since your return?  Do you think they would be good with everyday vermouth like Noilly Pratt or Martini?

I keep my vermouth in the fridge, too.  Doesn't it keep better?

I'm a poor girl. And "everyday" vermouths are all I can afford. And I have a Rosso e Bianco two or three times a week. I can attest that they are very, very tasty. :biggrin:

Viva Italia.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 year later...
I accidently bought cinzano instead of campari once. Now I don't know how to use cinzano. Is this just a normal vermouth? Or are there any cocktails/aperitifs that specifically call fro Cinzano?

Do you have Cinzano Bianco? (Cinzano also makes a dry white vermouth and a sweet one). The Bianco is fruity and sweeter than the dry.

If so, you can try it on the rocks or with a splash of soda. I like it with gin (about 2 parts gin to one part Bianco) with a big squeeze of lemon.

You can also use it in place of dry white vermouth, but it will change the flavor of the drink.

• 3 weeks later...

Tho' this thread is old - seems like a rather timeless topic - so here's a round up of aperitifs around our house...

Warm to hot day - steak/sophisticated eats after...

3 parts Punt e Mes

1 part Campari

Splash of soda

Lemon rind...

When the day's not as hot it's...

2 parts Martini & Rossi Red

1 part Martini & Rossi White

Lemon rind

Cooler/Cold...?

Port (20 yr Tawney) or single malt scotch (I prefer Lagavulin...)

Snacks for above are usually an assortment of olives, roasted almonds and, sometimes, cheese twists.

Finally - really hot day or spicy food/kinda simple eats...

Drinking Widmer's Bros Hefeweizen pretty regularly and snack is corn tortilla chips w/ salsa and/or guac.

Hey - I am a surfer, don'cha kno'...

~waves

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...