• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Potatoes

SobaAddict70

Bought a bunch of new potatoes at the Greenmarket this weekend, which will figure in dinner tonight.

Besides the usual prep -- briefly boiled or steamed, then slathered in butter and herbs; or roasted, and tossed with olive oil, garlic and herbs, what do you like to do with them?

Roast a chicken on top of them and a bunch of garlic. The potatoes will soak up the schmaltz. You can also shave them waffer thin and put them on a pizza.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

New potatoes are so delicious--still sweet, not starchy--I suggest you do as little as possible to them. I like mine in a green garlic potato salad with vinaigrette.

Potato Salad with Green Garlic

1 1/2 lbs potatoes, preferably red creamer potatoes

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

2 TB chopped green garlic

salt

1 TB sherry vinegar

Boil potatoes in salted water. While the potatoes are cooking, combine olive oil, green garlic, and a few dashes of salt in a small pan over low heat. Cook slowly until the garlic is aromatic, softened, and translucent. The garlic should not brown. Set aside the garlic mixture. When the potatoes are done, and still hot (but handle-able), cut into bite-size chunks, sprinkle with sherry vinegar and season with salt, and toss gently with a rubber spatula. Pour on the warm garlic mixture, and combine. Taste and adjust for salt, oil, and vinegar. This salad tastes better if allowed to sit 1/2 hr or more so that the flavors mellow. Adapted recipe from chef Rick DeBeaord of Café Rouge in Berkeley.

These Crash hot potatoes I first learned about from The Pioneer Woman. Boil potatoes in salted water, place them on a greased baking sheet, and squish all of them flattish. Oil, season, roast. Works fine with a small number if you do it in a pan on the stovetop, and you can flip them if you'd like.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

As it happens, they'll be in a salad tonight -- think "salad with potatoes" instead of "potato salad".

I was curious what other people did with them, as my natural inclination is to make something simple and have done with it. ;)

Potatoes are great with pesto-a little pasta, some green beans, the potatoes, and pesto is a classic combo. So maybe a riff off of that for a salad? Deconstruct it perhaps: potatoes, green beans, torn basil, shaved parm, roasted pine nuts or almonds, dressed in vinaigrette (lemon maybe) over dressed greens. Or something like that.

Last night I did this: octopus, chickpeas, green beans, green olives (can't remember the variety), parsley, sliced chili (thai), lemon zest, lemon, olive oil. It was very good-you could use the potatoes in place of chickpeas in a similar salad. Octopus, potatoes, lemon, and parsley go well together too.

nunc est bibendum...

My grandmother's way with the new potatoes out of her garden: boil potatoes in salted water, have ready some fresh baby peas just boiled with a little salt and some thick fresh cream made warm but not boiling. Drain the vegetables, then mix the potatoes with the peas and the cream. A little pepper if you like. Eat this dish all by itself because any other flavors will blur the purity. The cream has to be really good, no ultra-pasteurized stuff.

Hah - timely post! I bought some last night, couldn't decided what to do with them, so had the cauliflower that was getting sad in my fridge instead.

I usually do either a green sauce for boiled new potatoes (parsley, shallot, capers, evoo, wine vinegar) or just roasted with herbs. Neither way sounded appealing last night, since I cook them this way almost every. single. time. Need something new!

My vegetarian mom taught me to love them quickly boiled, then doused with mint sauce ( the kind you get for lamb) it's a wonderful combination and some peas in there won't hurt either.

---------------------------------------

These Crash hot potatoes I first learned about from The Pioneer Woman. Boil potatoes in salted water, place them on a greased baking sheet, and squish all of them flattish. Oil, season, roast. Works fine with a small number if you do it in a pan on the stovetop, and you can flip them if you'd like.

America's Test Kitchen/Cooks Country did this a couple of weeks ago. I've done something similar in the past and they work beautifully - very nice topped with sour cream.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

One of my favourite things to do with the tiny new nugget potatoes is simply boil til just tender in salted water (unpeeled of course) and serve while still warm with tzatziki to dip them in. Makes a great appetizer to pass around on toothpicks too.

My mother (and since then all of my family) makes creamed veggies when all the summer veg is available. Potatoes, green beans, carrots, little onions, sweet peas cooked to the way you like them and then tossed with a bechamel sauce and lots of fresh dill. Cream is better than milk in this but both will work. I usually add some garlic and dijon mustard to the mix (my mother would probably not approve!)

Llyn Strelau

Calgary, Alberta

Canada

My exFIL would boil them in very salty water til just done, cut them half, and then deepfry them. Crispy and good. Hard to do right unless you have your own garden--grocery store 'new potatoes' aren't really, in my experience--they are just little potatoes.

sparrowgrass

My mother (and since then all of my family) makes creamed veggies when all the summer veg is available. Potatoes, green beans, carrots, little onions, sweet peas cooked to the way you like them and then tossed with a bechamel sauce and lots of fresh dill. Cream is better than milk in this but both will work. I usually add some garlic and dijon mustard to the mix (my mother would probably not approve!)

My family did this as well. You would think that the delicate nature of the vegetables would get obscured, but it is somehow highlighted. Dill was always the herb of choice although a little flat leaf parsley was sometimes included. Our parsley was very sweet and developed a root almost like parsnip; seeds smuggled in on the first cheapo charter flights. To this day I remember our first venture into home grown - pulling the potatoes from the ground (we only had one or two plants), whooping with glee and bringing them in to great-grandma to prepare in this way.

Marcella Hazan's Fish with New Potatoes is one of my favorites, though I prefer to use thyme or a mixture of fresh herbs. I'm not a big rosemary fan.

This is one of my favorites, too.

Another comes from French chef Roger Vergé. Very simple but an excellent side dish/base with fish or poultry: boil/steam a pound of new potatoes. Peel while hot. Mash coarsely with a fork, adding some good olive oil along the way. Finally add slivers of pitted niçoise olives, mix gently. taste for salt, sprinkle with chopped parsley.