• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Would French onion soup before osso buco be considered a poor pairing?

HowardLi

Small portions on the soup course -- a little mini-crock -- and I don't see a problem.

I've been to many an old-school steakhouse in Las Vegas where the menu was -- Caesar salad, onion soup, ribeye with creamed spinach, baked potato, and fettuccine alfredo. And THEN they ask if you have room for dessert!

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Your portion control would have to be spot on for it to work, but personally, I would go for a lighter first course, to ease in to the meal. If you do go for it, definately don't follow up with a chocolate fondant or creme brulee for dessert.

I have to continuously remind myself that entrees are actually main courses in America. Considering I'll be there this time next week, I had better become used to it, haha.

James.

They are both hearty entrees. One is more than just a soup, the other almost a stew. I think either would be quite filling by itself and kind of boring, textrually, to serve both back to back.

Perhaps I should go with a leek-potato soup, followed by a leafy salad, then? I need to do the osso buco for various reasons.

Small portions, of course.

I agree, that revised version looks a lot better. Better contrast in visual apperance as well as flavours. Onion soup and osso bucco are two of my favourite things in the world to eat. But both end up being pretty brown and meaty. I'm not sure that they'd be awful together, just that something like the second menu would give a lot more interest.