• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Cheesecake

DevourHour

I don't mean to be cocky but I think the cheesecake I make is the best TASTING cheesecake I have ever had. I didn't invent the recipe and making the stuff is extremely easy and difficult to botch. The recipe comes from my girl Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa. It's basically 90% cream cheese with a little sour cream to lighten things up (plus all the rest of the standards) with a raspberry topping. Being from NY, I have had all types of cheesecake from the most well known of bakery's (been in the closet S&S calls their headquarters), and in terms of taste nothing beats Ina's creation.

Now on the topic of S&S: you can't beat their texture, I can't figure out how they do it. Kind of like of feels like a keylime pie going down, velvety smooth throughout. Does anyone know how they accomplish this?

What do you guys count among the best cheesecakes around? I am obsessed with the stuff, and gained 7 pounds the week I made 2 of them.

Founder + CEO of www.devourhour.com (Devour Hour)

It needs to be dense, not whipped, that's not cheesecake, it's cream cheese mousse cake. And it doesn't need to be twenty different flavors (I'm looking at YOU, Cheesecake Factory) but some fresh strawberries or a tart cherry topping are permissible. I will grudgingly concede that pumpkin cheesecake is allowed, but only at Thanksgiving, and only if it also meets the dense and not too whipped criterion as well.

I just made a peanut butter cheesecake with chocolate ganache and a peanut shortbread crust for a friend, thereby breaking my own rules, but it wasn't for me, so I'm in the clear :wink: ...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

It's my third year in Japan and I tried several Japanese cheese cake and I don't find them dense enough for my taste. Being from Montreal, Canada, my idea of a cheese cake is something dense topped with strawberries and with a cookie bottom.

It's strange, but it's the simple cake of my youth that I miss the most and I can't find a single cake to replace it. I think Montreal cheesecake is somehow similar to the New York version.

So my preference goes toward density, simple topping. When it comes to cheesecake, no need to reinvent the wheel, I want the stuff I can find in a deli in Montreal.

My blog about food in Japan

Foodie Topography

www.foodietopography.com

NY cheesecake with blueberry sauce is the best. And, sorry Dan, MINE is the best. No sour cream, just cream cheese, sugar, eggs and egg yolks, lemon peel and a little juice, a teeny bit of flour and a little milk in a sweet cookie crust. I only make it about once a year since it is so rich.

NY cheesecake with blueberry sauce is the best. And, sorry, MINE is the best. No sour cream, just cream cheese, sugar, eggs and egg yolks, lemon peel and a little juice, a teeny bit of flour and a little milk in a sweet cookie crust. I only make it about once a year since it is so rich.

This recipe gives the best cheesecake I've ever had. It created many addicts among the people I made it for. I'm forever grateful to Alinka.

I have yet to love a bought cheesecake, and living in NY I have tried a lot of them.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge