• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Restauranteur

Chef Forley,

Do you have any advice for aspiring restaurant owners? Do they really need to be chefs first or do they just need to know good food? Are there any professional organizations they should look into? Will a course at one of those hotel schools help? Or, do they just need good business sense?

Edited by Bond Girl (log)

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

It all depends on the kind of restaurant you'd like to have. Ultimately we believe that service comes first. Being welcoming at the front door is a skill that you bring with you and not necessarily learned. Creating food is important and a chef-driven restaurant is a certain style of restaurant. People have been successful at building restaurant operations with a variety of experience. I do recommend working in a restaurant before opening one to make sure this is the sort of lifestyle that suits you. There are a lot of behind the scenes information that would be useful to have before investing in a restaurant. A course can be helpful but I believe the on the job training to be more practical. Good luck!