• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any veggie restaurant recommendations in Melbourne?

Having a vegetarian visitor and am wondering if anyone has ideas for eating in Melbourne. Probably going for weekend lunch before or dinner after footy at either Etiad or MCG (won't be able to see my Kangas). So we won't be dressed to the nines.

Dairy/eggs are ok, doesn't have to be vegan. And a place that serves meat but has a decent selection of non-meat dishes would do.

Thanks for any suggestions.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I haven't lived in Melbourne for about 7 years, but one of my favourite restaurants was a Japanese place called Misuzu's, in Albert Park. In additional to standard a la carte offerings they had a large range of 'salads' and nibbles - Japanese tapas I guess - many of which were vegetarian, and at the time I lived and ate there you could order a vegetarian platter for 2 or 3 people for under $20.

I have eaten at a number of vegetarian restaurants around Fitzroy and St Kilda and none of them were particularly good. The platters at Misuzu were not only delicious, simple and cheap, but not particularly Japanesey - important if you have friends or guests that have a prejudice against Japanese food. I'm sure the prices have changed since then but I hope the food hasn't!

I would much rather eat there and order vegetarian than go to a dedicated vegetarian restaurant.

Thanks those all look interesting. Although I hate the Soul Mama website. Embrasse is definitely on my list to check out at some point, if not this trip. Thanks.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.