• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Geoduck - How to butcher it?

Eman57

"it is one of the longest living animals with an average of 146 years old"....geez I may actually feel bad about killing one of these things. ah well don't have to respect all elders

"it is one of the longest living animals with an average of 146 years old"....geez I may actually feel bad about killing one of these things. ah well don't have to respect all elders

There are geoduck farms.

Expensive seafood. $30.00 a lb.

dcarch

There are geoduck farms.

Expensive seafood. $30.00 a lb.

dcarch

Would have never thought given market demand......seriously thanks for posting this and when some extra $$ comes around will have to share with my sushi chef friends.

Awesome thank you guys very much for the help. Ended up breaking it down just fine with the help of that video. Made Geoduck Risotto with half of it, and had the other half raw with some salt, pepper, and lemon. It was outstanding, i wouldnt suggest using it in a risotto again though it became tough and chewy even after folding it in at the very very end.

Edited by Eman57 (log)

Great video -- isn't that guy's name Hung from Top Chef?

Geoduck is anatomically similar to the soft shell clams we get here on the Atlantic coast. Their siphons are good to eat but they are too small to peel and slice like that. People often make clam strips with the meat. The trick is to get the sand out of the clams by soaking them overnight in salty water with cornmeal. I wonder if it's necessary with the geoducks.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Awesome thank you guys very much for the help. Ended up breaking it down just fine with the help of that video. Made Geoduck Risotto with half of it, and had the other half raw with some salt, pepper, and lemon. It was outstanding, i wouldnt suggest using it in a risotto again though it became tough and chewy even after folding it in at the very very end.

how would you describe the sashimi taste and texture? did you try it without the lemon/salt/pepper? turns out my sushi chef friends have never tried so want to make it for them in various forms. Thanks!

We did try a little just plain. It was really good just by itself. The mea from the trunk was crunchy almost and tasted sweet like a scallop. The meat from the belly was more tender and also sweet.

I've prepped many a live Geoduck but they are very expensive and I know of only one place to obtain live in the Chicago area. The video is very good for the actual preparation of the clam but we only use lemon as a seasoning for the siphon.

Most sushi Chefs I know, with the siphon in two pieces per the video, will then a piece off the siphon for an order and make cuts at parallel to the long orientation of the siphon on the outer surface and about 1/6 of the way through the siphon.

The piece is then cut into portions at a right angle to the long orientation of the siphon. A slap on the cutting board and you watch the clam curl indicating its freshness. Sashimi or sushi is just a step away. Oil or any other seasoning really detracts from the clam. The body can be used in chowder or as demonstrated, fried. We use only 'honey' Panko flakes for a better color and taste.

"I wonder if it's necessary with the geoducks."

Geoducks require no purging. -Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)