• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef's Warehouse: Thumbs Up or Down?

MarkIsCooking

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience buying from Chef's Warehouse.

This company is doing a lot of business and currently raising money for an IPO, so people are into them to some degree.

Is their stuff good? How are the values? With over $300M a year in sales, I'm guessing someone here has bought from them.

What say you???

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Yes I have bought from Chef's Warehouse and they are perfectly reliable. Just check your prices between them and ChefsCatalog.com, and Cooking.com among others to be sure you are getting the best deal.

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

this site does $300 million a year???? Are there things here that you cannot get somewhere else? Trying to see how that is possible....this looks like a very straight forward site about anyone could manage procurement of product, distribution, sales, and care. Would think most all of this on Amazon. Amazing and good for them!

I have ordered some unique specialty items from them, not available from other vendors.

If you see something you want, buy it because it might not always be available.

(One example was whole fruit mostarda di fruta in large jars that was available only for a few months a couple of years ago. They had a limited supply and I bought several jars and then it was gone and I have not been able to find another vendor in the U.S.)

Their prices are competitive and their special sales, particularly just after the year end holidays, are exceptional.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

this site does $300 million a year????

I don't think this site does, I think the company might. From their about page...

With locations in New York City, Washington D.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Miami, The Chefs' Warehouse serves the finest restaurants, hotels, caterers and gourmet stores around the country.

They say they have been around 30 years.

They have brick and mortar locations with way more stock than is listed on the website. I'm not sure about other locations but the one for Los Angeles is all special order, you can't actually 'browse' the aisles. They either deliver or you can order ahead and pick up.