• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is the difference between pro sushi chef and amateur ?

sivasushi

I would love to have more opinion about pro sushi chef and the amature one. What is the standard to identify it? Because I know that it not about nationality because I already meet lot of good ( I mean real got skill and understanding of the Japanese culture and they not Japanese) but in the same time I saw and work with lot of Japanese who work in the sushi bar because of their look. So if you go to sushi bar what is the standard to choose and tell that the place that you go got a good chef or not??? >_< confuses

A paycheck? I would bet like in most things the more practice and education you have the closer in skill set to a professional you could be. I know a few sushi chefs and they take time out to travel around and see what other chefs are doing and of course head back to Japan to again observe there. Perhaps the professionals are the ones driving the innovation and information rather than a amateur. I am not sure there is any set standard though there are very recognized chefs.

I would expect that a pro is purchasing whole fish. Having visited the Osaka fish markets I've seen the care and attention that goes into selecting which fish to purchase. The skill to butcher a whole fish into slabs of sushi/sashimi ready meat is something I would expect of a professional.

Perhaps it's just me, but when I think of 'amateur' I think of purchasing ready-cut slabs of fish from a fishmonger. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Carefully selecting and working from whole fish as opposed to pre-butchered fillets and steaks. And then all of those little things that make for a good sushi experience from a diner's point of view: the right amount of seasonings for both the rice and particular kind of fish, the presentation, the 'showmanship' (not that preparing sushi is or should be like mixing cocktails in a bar but there's something almost akin to a martial art going on when you see a very skilled sushi chef at work). A dedication to the art. I mean, not many amateurs are dedicated enough to spend years just getting the rice right.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Carefully selecting and working from whole fish as opposed to pre-butchered fillets and steaks. And then all of those little things that make for a good sushi experience from a diner's point of view: the right amount of seasonings for both the rice and particular kind of fish, the presentation, the 'showmanship' (not that preparing sushi is or should be like mixing cocktails in a bar but there's something almost akin to a martial art going on when you see a very skilled sushi chef at work). A dedication to the art. I mean, not many amateurs are dedicated enough to spend years just getting the rice right.

Very well explained Chris. And I absolutely agree with you on this. :) Thanks!

I live in Vancouver BC Canada and it has MANY sushi restaurants. Probably over 350. About ten years ago I was in a small sushi place on SW Marine drive. I sat at the bar and started to talk to the chef. During the conversation he casually mentioned that he was one of only three sushi chefs in Vancouver. My eyes opened and I asked for an explanation. He told me the apprentice program in Japan was TEN years. It took three years before you were allowed to make rice. The program involved learning every type of fish and going to the market at 4:00 in the morning to get the freshest fish. Then learning how to fillet and use each type of fish or seafood. Not sure about fugu.Then on to presentation etc.That to me was the difference between a pro and an amateur.

Cheers

Malcolm

• 2 months later...