• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegas restaurant advice

Returning to Vegas after a six year abscense! Staying at Mirage, looking for some advice...looking for two fine dining experiences on the Strip. Can't afford Robuchon or Guy Savoy, maybe either Stripsteak or Seablue or Sage for one and something Italian for another. So maybe Sinatra, Sirio, B&B, Scarpetta, something like that? Probably nothing French, the wife is a picky eater who won't touch anything that isn't well done. Is anything I've listed good or just awful?

For steakhouse, I like CUT.

As for Guy Savoy, we were actually surprised that the bill was less than what we thought it would be, it was about half of what we spent at Robuchon. The good thing about Guy Savoy is that you can get half order on lots of the menu items. We split the soup and even at half portions, they were really generous servings. Also, you won't have to pay for dessert as you get to feast on the dessert cart as part of your meal, for no extra cost. And that dessert cart has just about everything you want (you are free to have one of everything), from cakes to ice cream to marshmallow.

Returning to Vegas after a six year abscense! Staying at Mirage, looking for some advice...looking for two fine dining experiences on the Strip. Can't afford Robuchon or Guy Savoy, maybe either Stripsteak or Seablue or Sage for one and something Italian for another. So maybe Sinatra, Sirio, B&B, Scarpetta, something like that? Probably nothing French, the wife is a picky eater who won't touch anything that isn't well done. Is anything I've listed good or just awful?

Don't forget the other Robuchon option-L'Atelier. Read through all the reviews and you'll see lots of photos of the setting and the dishes. It's a great time-you sit at the tiny counter and watch the Chefs craft the dishes. You can order ala'carte or a tasting menu. The service is not at all formal, you can dress casual and the food is exceptional. While the dishes are French-focused, I could easily see them served at an American Bistro too. But if you don't fancy caviar, foie gras or oysters, probably not a good idea.

Stripsteak gets good reviews, but I stick by Wolfgang's CUT as the best steakhouse. The side dishes are what set it apart. If the waiter winces when your wife orders a steak well done, just remind them who is paying the bill.

Haven't been to Scarpetta but it is getting good reviews. You may want to think about Milos for Greek-style seafood. It's in the same row of restaurants at The Cosmopolitan as Scarpetta.

The price points at Scarpetta, B & B and Sinatra will be within the same range, Sirio less so. There is a new Chef at Le Cirque and he's getting good reviews from those in the know, and of course the service there is always exceptional.

Do lots of reviewing of online menus before you commit. And have a great time.