• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Induction hob/cooktop, and the best cookware for it

barbhealy

In two days we will be replacing our ceramic glass electric cooktop with Miele Induction (!) and I will need to replace most of my cookware.

I have read, multiple times, the understanding stovetop cookware thread as well as all of the Q&A associated with that course and the only clear recommendation was for Mauviel Indoc'Inox which is no longer available.

So, what is the best cookware currently available for induction hobs, from a construction / functionality standpoint, regardless of price?

I need the following (sizes are approximate and my biggest hob is 11"):

1. 11-12 inch fry pan used mostly for eggs (I do not use non-stick) (Demeyere Proline? Cast iron?)
2. 5qt conical sauteuse used primarily for risotto (Demeyere Atlantis?)
3. 2qt conical sauteuse used for hollandaise and similar (De Buyer Prima Matera Copper Induction?)
4. 6-9qt rondeau/saute my go-to pan used for everything from frying fish to making stew (Paderno Grand Gourmet
? Demeyere Atlantis or Apollo? Mauviel M'Cook?)
5. 4qt sauce used primarily for thick soups, sauces, beans, rice, etc (Iittala Tools? AllClad D5? Mauviel M'Cook?)
6. 8qt pasta/chili pot (Paderno Grand Gourmet
?)

Is Paderno
World Cuisine
Grand Gourmet the same as Paderno Grand Gourmet?

I realize that none of my suggestions may be ideal but that is all I am familiar with so please offer alternatives. If possible, please support your suggestions with an explanation (either technical or practical)....

Price is no object. In fact, I prefer to pay for beautiful design, if it is also functional, than to save money on something that is equally functional but not beautiful.

I prefer to buy American-made but that is less important than performance.

I prefer welded handles and pouring lips but they are also less important than performance.

Weight is no object.

Although I wash all our cookware by hand, I would like to be able to put them in the dishwasher on occasion.

Note: On my ceramic glass electric cooktop Demeyere performs a bit like cast iron -- retaining heat longer, even when removed from the cooktop -- and I predict it will not be responsive on the induction hob either.

Thanks in advance!

Barb

(Does anyone have some old Induc'Inox they want to sell me?)

I recently was able to use several pieces of CIA Masters cookware at the home of a friend and we both found it to be easy to use on the induction burners as well as on gas burners.

It goes through the dishwasher and cleans up beautifully. The welds are very strong and the balance makes these easier to handle than some cookware.

I used the 12 inch fry pan which has a helper handle which is a huge plus.

I also used the 3 qt saute pan also with a helper handle and one of the sauciers, not sure if it was the 2 or 3 qt.

We also used a couple of sauce pans and these have a rolled edge that facilitates pouring. (My one complaint about my All Clad is the straight side.

I'm going to be buying a set of this for a wedding gift in late September, as I think it is an excellent product.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hi Barb.

We went induction just before Christmas and we're loving it. Heaps of power, heaps of control.

Forgive the perhaps obvious question: are you sure you need to replace your stuff? Have you done the fridge magnet test? We found all our old pots and pans, except one tiny pan we rarely used and our roasting dishes, were quite happy on induction. The only real adjustment I had to make was to start making gravy for roasts in a saucepan rather than in the roasting dish.

Enjoy it!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

The Prima Matera line seems an excellent choice for everything you want, except perhaps the DW.

Why would the Prima Matera be the best choice for all my needs and not just the sauteuse?

I recently was able to use several pieces of CIA Masters cookware at the home of a friend and we both found it to be easy to use on the induction burners as well as on gas burners.

Thanks, Andiesenji! I didn't realize there was another straight-gauge clad copper option (other than All Clad). Were they more responsive on induction than on gas or was the response time the same?

Forgive the perhaps obvious question: are you sure you need to replace your stuff?

Yes, I did the magnet test right after we made the decision to convert. The majority of my current pots and pans are All Clad LTD, Iittala Tools, Le Creuset and tin lined copper. Iittala and Le Creuset are the only ones that are compatible. Even the pressure cooker and stock pots (16 and 32 qt) have to be replaced. I have a tagine, too, which I suppose I will have to get a disc for.

The only real adjustment I had to make was to start making gravy for roasts in a saucepan rather than in the roasting dish.

I have a Mauviel roasting pan which I believe is induction compatible. The only time I roast, though, is at our Thanksgiving Dinner and I found a way around the last minute gravy scramble: my husband loves leftover turkey breast sandwiches and there never seems to be enough left over so I bought an extra breast, roasted it the day before, and made gravy with the drippings. He was happy and I had one less thing to worry about.

Edited by barbhealy (log)

All Clad stainless is induction compatible - so if you love your All Clad LTD you should like it. I have a number of pieces that I use for induction (and I use the LTD on my gas stove).

I have a big slope sided Meyer pan I use for candy on induction. It has a disc on the bottom - but that's fine on the induction hob where is isn't on the gas.

I have Demeyere Sirocco at home, and use the Atlantis line on the Miele induction range where I teach and find them both excellent (dishwasher safe, too). I don't notice a problem with responsiveness on the induction range. Incidentally, both those lines have a thick copper layer in the straight sided pieces -- much thicker than what's in the All Clad Copper Core line.

Thanks, Andiesenji! I didn't realize there was another straight-gauge clad copper option (other than All Clad). Were they more responsive on induction than on gas or was the response time the same?

I particularly noticed the excellent response time in the fry pan, especially when I was cooking scallops and in the covered saute pan some mussels. They were almost as good as in my SS lined copper on a gas burner but enough lighter that it made them easier to handle.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

(Does anyone have some old Induc'Inox they want to sell me?)

I haven't checked recently, but call (don't rely on their website for anything but the phone number) Zabar's on the upper west side of Manhattan, and ask if they still have any pieces in stock. They carried it, and I've noticed new old stock Induc'Inox pieces on the shelf when I've stopped in, plus they could have more in the stockroom.

I haven't checked recently, but call (don't rely on their website for anything but the phone number) Zabar's on the upper west side of Manhattan, and ask if they still have any pieces in stock. They carried it, and I've noticed new old stock Induc'Inox pieces on the shelf when I've stopped in, plus they could have more in the stockroom.

thank.gif></a></p><p><span style="font-family:Thank you, David!

They had a few pieces which are on their way to me now! No Fait-toute, unfortunately, but they did have a 4qt saucepan and a few other pieces that I need.

When they arrive, I will compare them to the other brands I have and post an update.

I'm still open to suggestions on the other pieces...Even if Prima Matera is fabulous, they don't make all the shapes and sizes I need.

I have had the Miele Induction cooktop for several years, and I love it. I also like good cookware. Since I have all my pots hanging on grids in my kitchen, it's important that they look good and work well. Living in France, I don't know most of the brands that you mention - in fact the major supermarkets here have some very good and attractive stainless suitable for induction, as does IKEA.

My advice is not to get too hung up on this. Certainly here most good pots are made to work with induction, and marked as such. One thing to remember if you do have something you have already used, and consider it to be suitable is whether the bottom is completely flat. If it's been used on gas, it may have developed slight warps, which will make the contact with the induction burner less efficient.

Hope you enjoy it. I wouldn't have anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

The Viking line of magnetic stainless is extensive. We completely switched over, and now have close to 20 pieces. Add the word "expensive" to "extensive". :laugh::blink::wub: Several skillets and pots of Le Creuset complete the mix.

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

• 8 months later...

The Viking line of magnetic stainless is extensive. We completely switched over, and now have close to 20 pieces. Add the word "expensive" to "extensive". :laugh::blink::wub: Several skillets and pots of Le Creuset complete the mix.

The Viking cookware is very nice and I particularly like the handles, though I wouldn't pay for the premium for the Viking name on Demeyere pans. Viking cookware is made by Demeyere, as you probably know...

As for induction cookware, I bought a couple of pieces of the Prima Matera, to try out the competition, and I can tell you that it is better on an induction hob than anything else I've tried, though it is ridiculously expensive for 2.0mm stainless-lined copper cookware.

I am not a huge fan of induction, but it is very good at boiling water... :laugh:

Michael Harp

CopperPans.com

I use spring crystal http://www.spring.ch/index.php?PGID=6&PID=0&ARTID=0&d=1&PARENT=3&l=1 it's not cheap but works brilliantly with induction as it reacts v quickly. It's a 5 layer design Stainless steel/Aluminium/Iron/Aluminium/Stainless steel, it looks good and works well on any hob. Downside is it's not cheap, I was lucky to get trade price as doing some work for a firm who could get it.

Very well made, if you boil something and place a lid on and let it cool, I've had times where if the rims were spotless (no splashes etc) I've had to reheat the pan to break the pressure seal thats formed. Not always a good thing but does show the fine tolerance of manufacture.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

20 pieces of Viking for us, with a Wolf 36" induction cooktop. Also, a thin Wolf exhaust hood, for a mid-century home. We're both 1000% happy--- ask away with any questions.

Also, There are cast iron plates that allow you to use other cookware.

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

I'm not quite answering the question but thought I'd jump in with a suggestion for what to do with those favorite pans that aren't magnetic.

When we switched to induction, we had a few non-magnetic pans that really aren't made in an induction-suitable version. I wasn't as happy using the conversion disk. Specifically, the pans were (1)a Whirley Pop aluminum popcorn pan and (2) an ibrik (a small copper and tin pot for making Turkish coffee.)

So we bought a single portable electric burner/hot plate. I think it's by Broil King and we got the ceramic kind but I think they also make a coil version. It's kept stored away for the most part. We typically aren't using it at the same time as the induction cooktop. So for popcorn, we typically put the burner on top of the cooktop surface so we can use our ventilation system. I think we also used it during our kitchen renovation and in theory, it is also an extra cooking surface if we ever need it.

This solution works for us because both pans didn't have very wide diameters. The portable unit wouldn't have helped much if the cookware had been a large skillet.

Jayne

We were forced into induction about a year ago when we bought our new house. Putting in gas would have been a major hassle.

We bought a selection of induction friendly pots & pans from IKEA. They look good, cook well, clean easily and so far show no sign of wear despite heavy use.

Thus, if you live anywhere near an IKEA I can heartily recommend these to you. The prices are good as well.

We have since installed a smaller second kitchen and have done what jayesb recommends above. We put in a small two burner electric hob. There I can still use my much loved set of copper clad pots & pans from Dansk. I've had them for 25 years & they're still going strong.

• 3 weeks later...

Also, There are cast iron plates that allow you to use other cookware.

Seems as though this would eliminate one of the major advantages of induction cooking, that being immediate response to thermal input.

• 11 years later...

Was looking at the pan reviews here: https://www.sizzleandsear.com/article/best-cookware-for-even-heating-in-depth-testing-analysis/

Looks like Fissler stainless pan is tops with 8mm thick base including the stainless layers. Right now I'm using some cheap Amazon "Sensarte" pan, it's a big hunk of cast aluminum with a stainless induction insert, I measured the base with calipers to be 6mm thick. Wonder if it would be worth it to upgrade the Fissler ceramic. After spending $1500 on a cooktop why skimp on the cookware. But it does look very similar to the Fissler though.

10 hours ago, Dex said:

After spending $1500 on a cooktop why skimp on the cookware. But it does look very similar to the Fissler though.

You're not gonna want to hear this, but your $1500 PIC is as uneven as an $80 PIC.

You can go with an uber-thick pan bottom to try to compensate for this, but what little you will gain from going to 8mm from 6mm isn't going to make a huge difference.  And there is a very large downside:  heat adjustments--responsiveness--will be slower.  The only countervailing advantage is that sears are less likely to crash at the flop.

This is heresy on these boards, but if you must use a PIC, I'd favor a converter plate with 2-3mm of aluminum, and then straightgauge conductive-sidewall pans.  But you'd still better plan on moving the pan.

Edited to add: The cited review is limited and superficial.  If you're going uber thick, you might also search Cristel and Ballarini lines.  And A-C's G3 line offers enhanced lateral conductivity in a lightweight form.

Edited by Laurentius
More info (log)

2 hours ago, Laurentius said:

You're not gonna want to hear this, but your $1500 PIC is as uneven as an $80 PIC.

You can go with an uber-thick pan bottom to try to compensate for this, but what little you will gain from going to 8mm from 6mm isn't going to make a huge difference.  And there is a very large downside:  heat adjustments--responsiveness--will be slower.  The only countervailing advantage is that sears are less likely to crash at the flop.

This is heresy on these boards, but if you must use a PIC, I'd favor a converter plate with 2-3mm of aluminum, and then straightgauge conductive-sidewall pans.  But you'd still better plan on moving the pan.

Edited to add: The cited review is limited and superficial.  If you're going uber thick, you might also search Cristel and Ballarini lines.  And A-C's G3 line offers enhanced lateral conductivity in a lightweight form.

Control Freak doing quite a bit better on evenness than the duxtop I returned.

Convertor plate would only make responsiveness even worse, and breaks the PID loop with the thermal sensor. Slow response from thermal mass but a good PID loop is good enough. Big slab of aluminum or copper sounds just fine to me for searing.

Do you know of a better pan comparison than that one? Superficial as it may be, only head to head evenness test I've seen. I don't want to buy all the pans to do it myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dex said:

Do you know of a better pan comparison than that one? Superficial as it may be, only head to head evenness test I've seen.

Yes, there are several.  You might start with Franz's work at CenturyLife.  Most of these evenness comparisons don't take into account the rate of heating or look at it from a point of thermal equilibrium.

PID isn't going to help much with downward responsiveness, because the Ceran itself holds heat.  The whole "control" aspect is far more imprecise than Breville and some zealous users claim.  One little thermocouple at the center outside of a pan bottom is, practically, a pretty coarse approximation. 1F precision is largely illusory.  You can pick up a Mirage Pro (100 power settings) for 1/3 the price, and that's plenty granular and with better case and fan.

But hey, spending C.F. money, you'll be predisposed to like it.  Have fun.

Edited by Laurentius
Corrected name. (log)

As @Laurentius alluded, induction cooktops are going to put energy into the pan where it sits above the coil.

I bought a large round flat cast iron slab to visualize this with an infrared camera.  The heat pattern is above the coil, and then it bleeds into the center and out towards the edges (with such bleeding depending on the pan material composition, thickness, etc.).

I try to buy pans to match the size of the induction coil.  The #1 problem I see with induction cooking is that we can't see the size of the induction coil visually and we tend to stick pans on there which are far too large.  I am guilty of this as well; I have a Copper Coeur 28cm frying pan I use all the time, and I know it's at least 2cm-4cm too big for the Control Freak's coil, yet I persist because there are some things I need to cook which are just too long for a coil-size-appropriate (16cm-24cm) pan.

This isn't dissimilar from a traditional electric hob, but people who use gas stoves with large burner sizes may be a little surprised when moving to induction.  Doubly so if they use pans which don't distribute heat well.

The Control Freak has a medium-size induction coil (bigger than some inexpensive units I have tested), so I comfortably use it with pans that have bottoms between 14-16cm and 20-22cm (which usually equates to 16cm-24cm pans).

I have found that pans with a lot of copper in them (or really thick aluminum pans) tend to push heat to the edges better than cast iron pans.  When I need to use a cast iron pan, I either preheat it for a while so that it gets to a consistent temperature or I preheat it in the oven.

The two sets of pans I have found so far which work best at distributing heat are the Falk Copper Coeur line (for a gradient of heat across the bottom and up the sides) and the Demeyere Atlantis copper disc pans (for the most even heat across the bottom that I've seen).  With the Control Freak, I wouldn't go above 24cm with either of these unless I was cooking something liquidy (which would itself distribute the heat somewhat).

For me, as far as Control Freak vs. other induction cooktops go, well, the big benefit isn't the induction coil or the fact that it's built for round-the-clock operation.  It's the whole new way that the direct-contact temperature feedback works.  I can preheat pans without standing around.  I can create temperature-and-time based recipes for food and get consistent results without needing to train as a chef.  I can leave food cooking without worrying about starting a fire.  I have a couple other cooktops--including a 3800W Vollrath unit that stands off to the side; I hardly ever use any of them anymore, unless I'm boiling pasta.  If I could justify another $1500, I'd pick up a third Control Freak at this point.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dex said:

Big slab of aluminum or copper sounds just fine to me for searing.

For searing, I'd consider the Searzall over using the Control Freak with any sort of pan.  Unless you're trying to cook the food at the same time.

For searing on the Control Freak, if you're looking for a very fast sear then using a copper or aluminum pan may not cut it simply because they're usually good at transferring/distributing heat more than they are storing it (with higher-mass/thicker pans storing more, of course).  When I drop a sous vide steak on a piping hot copper pan for instance, the pan temperature dives quickly before starting to ramp up again--defeating some of the instant sear I was going for.

Preheating a cast iron searing stone (in the oven ideally, for pervasive heat) and then using the Control Freak to replenish the heat level may be a good pick.  But honestly the Control Freak is a medium-wattage induction burner; I'm not sure that it's really meant for high-speed searing.

2 hours ago, Dex said:

Do you know of a better pan comparison than that one? Superficial as it may be, only head to head evenness test I've seen. I don't want to buy all the pans to do it myself.

Now you're talking about the adventure I went off on for a while, buying 2 pans each from like a dozen sets of pans and testing them out with various cooktops and infrared cameras.  Sigh.  It was fun but, yeah, not something I'd recommend for everyone.

Edited by afs (log)
  • Like 1