• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking Ingredients for Cocktails

KatieLoeb

I just bought a stove top smoker. It's a Nordic Ware Kettle Smoker that works brilliantly on the stovetop. Tonight I made some smoked fresh pineapple that I turned into a syrup for cocktails. It's been delicious with virtually everything I've tried it with. I also smoked up some poblano chiles and carrots to toy with a smoky Bloody Mary variant. Any other genius ideas? I think smoked peaches and nectarines are next...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

While I didn't use it in cocktails, this was before my adventure into the cocktail world started, I smoked some oranges a few years ago. I just cut them in half and stuck them in the smoker cut side up as an experiment because it was still smoking nicely after I did some chocolate. I used the juice to make a sliceable smoked orange curd and candied the zest. I was happy with the results. I've wondered a few times what a twist of smoked orange zest would do as a garnish and the juice has to work somewhere... I'm just not sure where. I'll have to smoke some more and play around.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

WE use to smoke the tomatoes and peppers for our bloody mary juice - it worked a treat. Try the pinepple with the chillis in a variant of the margarita...

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

• 1 month later...

We use the smoking gun to fill shakers preloaded with ice, seal them, and store them in the freezer a few times per night for our hickory-smoked margarita . Assemble the ingredients, pull the shaker out and shake ingredients in the smoked ice. Guests love it.

Sandy Levine

The Oakland Art Novelty Company

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland