• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desserts and Pastries on the Grill

DanM

I'm having 10-15 people over on Wednesday and need to make some good food. I have a desire to make a dessert of sweet pastry on my charcoal grill. Does anyone have experience with this? Any thoughts on what to make?

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I'd go with sweet empanadas. If you use a bit of panela, ripe plantains and plantain flour as the base for the dough, it will hold together marvellously on the grill and you can, of course, choose any filling you like to go in it. Dark chocolate is quite nice.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

i don't have specific experience with pastry on a grill, but you could do something like a grilled sweet pizza. melted chocolate with strawberries, or maybe sweetened ricotta and/or mascarpone with lots of mint and any fruit. caramel (salted or no ;) with nuts? a pizza crust could just be the vehicle for whatever dessert flavors you wanted...

The title of the thread reminded me of college days' THB - toasted honey bun. Diners near campus would split puffy, commercial bakery (yeast) raised cinnamon rolls and put the cut sides on the griddle.

I do have some peaches we picked last week... Maybe I could grill those up and make a cobbler. They are clingstone and some pits have split, so it will be a slight PITA, but doable.

Maybe a blueberry and jostaberry pizza? Again, freshly picked fruit I can make into a sauce, top it with some toasted pecans and a flat icing drizzle??

I forgot to mention that there is an unspoken rule against overhosting for the homebrewer's meetings. While I am known for my pastries in the group, I am not doing this to show off.

Dan

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.