• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Alone Drinks

weinoo

Often, or for about half the week, I'm at home while my wife is in another city - doing the people's work. And often during that time alone, I like to have a cocktail. Usually, a Manhattan, Negroni, Martini or some variant thereof (e.g. a Perfect Manhattan, a Fitty-Fitty, etc.)

Couple of questions, then.

Do you have a drink when you're at home alone?

What's your favorite cocktail if the answer to the above is yes?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On behalf of the 30 million American adults who live alone, I'd like to say that most of the time, it's either drink alone, or don't drink.

So, yes.

And, whatever I feel like making.

Usually a Martinez or Gin & Tonic (Hendricks and Fever Tree) with lemon. Occasionally, I'll do a Rum & Tonic and I usually go through a phase of making a lot of ungarnished Dead Dates a week or two a year. -Well I buy the bottle of blackstrap rum and drink it til it's finished before moving back to my usual gin based drinks.

I have an occasional home alone drink or two. I don't have a go-to though. I was a late bloomer to going beyond beer and gin and tonics so I'm usually looking to try something new (to me). I have a large file of drink recipes I've collected with the intent to try them all eventually. It's going to take a while to get through them all... especially since I add to it more often than I check them off. Most recently I was excited about finally getting my hands on Cynar and Fernet Branca and tried the Art of Choke and the Eeyore's Requiem. I enjoyed both but if I was forced to choose, Eeyore would probably win. Like it's namesake, it has a pleasant bitterness that keeps things from seeming too sweet.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Right now I'm drinking a 2008 Gevrey-Chambertin Home Alone. My more usual drinks would be a beer, a George Dickel Old No. 8 on the rocks, or (most commonly) a glass of dry sherry - probably Savory & James fino.

If yr looking for mixed drinks, that doesn't happen around here unless we have guests.

Not a cocktail master (wish I was, reading what you folks are drinking). But I often have a drink at home alone, well, except for the sixteen-year-old who is, y'know, not a drinker. Thankfully.

Usually it's a Ketel One dirty martini in the summer; a single malt Scotch with two ice cubes, in the winter; if it's really cold, coffee with Bailey's, Jameson's and a grating of good semi-sweet chocolate.

Or a glass of red wine, anytime. I'm currently favoring Menage a Trois blended red for my sipping wine.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Typically, I like a classic Negroni with Junipero gin, Dolin rouge and Campari, one dash each of Regan's and Angostura orange bitters.

It's a good drink if you are feeling lazy since it can be built in the glass and uses a foolproof 1:1:1 ratio. Also my husband abhors Campari, so it's the first bottle that I grab when he is away on a business trip (well, that one and the Cynar)! :raz:

I have an occasional home alone drink or two. I don't have a go-to though. I was a late bloomer to going beyond beer and gin and tonics so I'm usually looking to try something new (to me). I have a large file of drink recipes I've collected with the intent to try them all eventually. It's going to take a while to get through them all... especially since I add to it more often than I check them off. Most recently I was excited about finally getting my hands on Cynar and Fernet Branca and tried the Art of Choke and the Eeyore's Requiem. I enjoyed both but if I was forced to choose, Eeyore would probably win. Like it's namesake, it has a pleasant bitterness that keeps things from seeming too sweet.

Sort of reminding me of a great drink we had last night at Clover Club; The Prizefighter Smash - Antica, Fernet Branca, lemon juice, simple and mint.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Larry - if you've got Cynar - try this one (had it at a heartland gathering - loved it - never made the cocktail but did make a chocolate filling from it).

Smoke 'n Choke Cocktail

2 ounces smoke bourbon (four roses)

½ ounce grade B maple syrup

1 dropper cynar

3 dashes peychauds bitters

orange rind

Stir over ice until thoroughly chilled, strain onto large ice cube. Twist orange rind and rim glass with it.

Source: Manifesto Kansas City | 1 servings

Oops - realize I didn't answer the question - drank alone once that I can recall - I was taking a course in Santa Fe - studying with a bottle of wine beside me - was perfectly sober after the entire bottle of wine - stood up, fell over - still perfectly sober! Weirdest thing ever - so I guess I shouldn't drink alone.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Larry - if you've got Cynar - try this one (had it at a heartland gathering - loved it - never made the cocktail but did make a chocolate filling from it).

Smoke 'n Choke Cocktail

1 dropper cynar

orange rind

Stir over ice until thoroughly chilled, strain onto large ice cube. Twist orange rind and rim glass with it.

Oops - realize I didn't answer the question - drank alone once that I can recall - I was taking a course in Santa Fe - studying with a bottle of wine beside me - was perfectly sober after the entire bottle of wine - stood up, fell over - still perfectly sober! Weirdest thing ever - so I guess I shouldn't drink alone.

Could have been due to the altitude. Santa Fe is 7000 feet above sea level; many people find this lowers their tolerance to alcohol.

ScoopKWs "Home Alone" Drink

1) Break out a tumbler.

2) Pour single-malt Scotch into the tumbler.

3) Add an ice cube made from good spring water into the tumbler. (If I could source Highlands spring water, THAT is what I'd use.)

4) Sip*

5) Repeat as necessary.

* EDIT -- Preferably while watching The Godfather, or The Great Escape, or playing Fallout Las Vegas. Also works while staining a new piece of furniture, or searing a ribeye or shucking some oysters.

Edited by ScoopKW (log)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Either some non-citrus "adult" drink because my DB tends to prefer the sours and I often follow along if I'm getting out the shaker, or I use it as a chance to try new recipes or work on new ideas.

I'm not adverse to sticking to wine, though.

Right now, it's a cocktail with Wild Turkey rye, Maraschino, demarara simple, and Fees Old Fashioned bitters built on rocks. Too sweet, I guess I'd better add more rye...

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Smoke 'n Choke Cocktail

1 dropper cynar

orange rind

Could have been due to the altitude. Santa Fe is 7000 feet above sea level; many people find this lowers their tolerance to alcohol.

I have no tolerance to alcohol - a whole bottle of wine would normally put me under the table or further!

A widow now, I still look forward to the cocktail hour. So I will generally prepare a gin & tonic made with (ugh) diet tonic - due to the ever-espanding waistline. It's impossible to find a decent diet tonic though that's available in less than a litre. So now I have to make my own...I'm using the Sodastream® charger and their syrup. It's actually not too bad although I miss that 'bite' that real tonic water has.

If I didn't have a cocktail at home while alone, I would be a half a step away from being a teetotaler. :hmmm:

At home, most of my drinks tend to be made from something that comes in a bottle I buy at the store, with the addition of juice from real lemons or limes. I'll make simple syrup, and occasionally I'll make a ginger infused syrup. But making other syrups or infusions or whatever for one can be a bit much. Also, I rarely garnish a drink, beyond a cherry for my Manhttan or some olives for a martini.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Occasionally will enjoy a single malt or a blend in the evening. Often enjoy a beer in the summer in the afternoon. Always have wine with my dinner. Now that Kerry Beal is introducing me to cocktails I may become more ambitious when I return home.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Spoiled, I am. My husband is getting better and better at cocktails, so if I am alone I'm likely to drink something straight up. Like rye, these days. If the weather is really hot I might pour Martini & Rossi Red over ice; it reminds me of my week in Venice.

A widow now, I still look forward to the cocktail hour. So I will generally prepare a gin & tonic made with (ugh) diet tonic - due to the ever-espanding waistline. It's impossible to find a decent diet tonic though that's available in less than a litre. So now I have to make my own...I'm using the Sodastream® charger and their syrup. It's actually not too bad although I miss that 'bite' that real tonic water has.

Have you ever tried just lime juice and soda water with the gin - that's a rickey and they're really great and refreshing!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I generally go for something easy, but usually a proper cocktail, and not a highball or something straight.

So for a cocktail that is the easiest, I usually go with something stirred, and if I'm really lazy, then something built.

That means a lot of Negronis, Old Fashioneds, and our house cocktail, a variation on the Left Hand.

Smoke 'n Choke Cocktail

1 dropper cynar

orange rind

Sounds good, I'll check it out. I don't have smoked bourbon but that would be easy enough to remedy. My lazy side is wondering if using a few of the smoked ice cubes I have in the freezer in the stir would work... :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.