• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 1)

Kerry Beal

DSCN0197.jpg

Excuse the poor picture - was feeding the rugrat so didn't want to take the time to set up a picture in the other room. "Improved Gin Cocktail" - lovely albeit a bit booze forward.

DSCN0240.jpg

Dutch version of the Bee's Knees - Genever for the gin.

Very pretty cocktail - and you are using Su-Mei Yu's book as a coaster ! ;-)

How did it taste with the genever?

Tasted quite lovely - I guess I should try it again with the Boker's gin I have up here to compare though.

Any coaster in a storm!

DSCN0271.jpg

Fog Cutter - well actually half a fog cutter - didn't think my liver could take a whole one! Amazing how you can't taste all that booze. Needed a bit of sweet to balance it - and some orgeat was the perfect addition.

20th Century is a very good drink. My first reaction was the same. You're going to put what in the same glass?? But it's diverse flavor profile is what makes it work. It's delicious. Bright and refreshing on the front side and mysterious and savory on the back end. Bizarre but yummy. Some things are not ours to question...

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

DSCN0394.jpg

Getting all my booze packed away before I head south again - decided that the Cynar was calling out to me so put aside all the fixings for The Art of Choke.

• 3 weeks later...

DSCN0484.jpg

Poison Ivy. Recipe given to me by the sweet bar tender at Lemon Hill - looks like he forgot the honey syrup - shall add a little of that next iteration. And mine has a top up of tonic.

Poison Ivy. Recipe given to me by the sweet bar tender at Lemon Hill - looks like he forgot the honey syrup - shall add a little of that next iteration. And mine has a top up of tonic.

That looks good, Kerry. Can you share the ratios? I have a bottle of Bonal that has been languishing in the fridge.... Also, what would be good substitute for Dandelion & Burdock bitters - I have no idea what they taste like? Thanks!

That looks good, Kerry. Can you share the ratios? I have a bottle of Bonal that has been languishing in the fridge.... Also, what would be good substitute for Dandelion & Burdock bitters - I have no idea what they taste like? Thanks!

I used 2 oz gin, 1 ounce bonal, 3/4 ounce lime, 1/4 tsp bitters - top with tonic. Not sure what would sub for the bitters - a bit licorice flavoured according to some so perhaps a bit of pernod or absinthe . Next time will add 1/2 ounce honey syrup.

I used 2 oz gin, 1 ounce bonal, 3/4 ounce lime, 1/4 tsp bitters - top with tonic. Not sure what would sub for the bitters - a bit licorice flavoured according to some so perhaps a bit of pernod or absinthe . Next time will add 1/2 ounce honey syrup.

Thanks. If licorice is the predominant flavor, then maybe Peychaud's would work as a substitute too.

An Aviation - I had the idea that the maraschino was the part of this drink I didn't like - so I subbed some kirsch.

Which Kirsch were you using, Kerry? I find that the Luxardo Kirsch [sadly no longer available here in BC] has a flavour profile much closer to their Maraschino than [for example] the Schloss Oberandritz Austrian stuff we get now.

Edited by DerekW (log)

An Aviation - I had the idea that the maraschino was the part of this drink I didn't like - so I subbed some kirsch.

Which Kirsch were you using, Kerry? I find that the Luxardo Kirsch [sadly no longer available here in BC] has a flavour profile much closer to their Maraschino than [for example] the Schloss Oberandritz Austrian stuff we get now.

It was the Schloss.

Thanks. If licorice is the predominant flavor, then maybe Peychaud's would work as a substitute too.

Took a good sniff of the bitters today - they smell remarkably like the St George Absinthe Verde that I have.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been seriously neglecting my drinking lately - well perhaps some wine while doing some research for a confection project. So figured I'd better do a little catching up.

DSCN0524.jpg

Tonight a Pan American Clipper - the very last of my bottle of Applejack, lime, homemade grenadine and a dash of absinthe.

I've been seriously neglecting my drinking lately - well perhaps some wine while doing some research for a confection project. So figured I'd better do a little catching up.

DSCN0524.jpg

Tonight a Pan American Clipper - the very last of my bottle of Applejack, lime, homemade grenadine and a dash of absinthe.

As fall arrives I always bring out the applejack. Never had this one and will have to give it a try. And you should change the topic title, cause a novice you ain't.

• 1 month later...

Wow - can't believe I haven't posted anything here since September.

DSCN0721.jpg

Tonight - a Savoy Tango. Anna found us each a bottle of Sloe Gin to play with.