• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 1)

Kerry Beal

7043743477_7c58941bea_z.jpg

Rainbow Sour from The Craft of the Cocktail. Finally broke into the bottle of Pineau de Charentes I found at the LCBO a while back. A very enjoyable combination.

6908933046_b013a224ed_z.jpg

Royal Hawaiian. Next time will make with a less distinctive gin - the #10 is too citrusy for this I think.

6908933006_1f3eb82073_z.jpg

Golden Dawn - calvados, gin, cointreau, apry and a bit of grenadine - quite yummy. Starting to worry about what is going to happen when I run out of this bottle of Apry.

Starting to worry about what is going to happen when I run out of this bottle of Apry.

Road trip or Bols with the rest of us. :raz::biggrin:

Tasty sounding drinks you mixed up there!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Starting to worry about what is going to happen when I run out of this bottle of Apry.

Road trip or Bols with the rest of us. :raz::biggrin:

Tasty sounding drinks you mixed up there!

I tried the Rainbow Sour again a second night with the Bol's I have - just not the same! Road trip it will have to be. The last bottle I had friends bring back from NYC - wonder when they are going next?

Yeah, the Bols isn't too wonderful. But compared to the other LCBO option, McGuinness, it's pure top shelf. I've been trying to convince myself to do a K&L Wines order but so far cheap keeps winning. They will ship to Ontario but they told me that it pretty much ends up doubling in price by the time it goes through the LCBO. I think they only ship in case quantity (mixed cases are okay, as long as it totals 12 bottles) so even if I justify the markup (the LCBO comes pretty close to doubling, and sometimes more, most new things they bring in anyway), it still becomes a considerable cash outlay because of the quantity involved. Oh well, I probably have more than I really need as it is and I still have a few things the LCBO carries that I'm trying to get the local store to order for me... I guess drawing the line somewhere is necessary. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

6923008932_beab7de91d_z.jpg

Tonight - the Beachbum from PDT. I decided to use the Bol's Apricot brandy as I figured the finer points of the Apry might be lost in the sheer number of ingredients. Need to get me some little umbrellas!

Another nice one Kerry! I'm planning to seriously tiki it up this summer. Well, I might have to slip in a few other cocktails here and there but I have a long list of tiki drinks that'll take me a while to get through so that's going to be the focus. Now if I can just find a Thurston Howell style straw hat to go with that bamboo-look mug I ordered... :biggrin:

And on that note, went to tiki-land tonight with the Montegomatica...

1 1/2 oz Wray & Nephew overproof rum

1 oz Fernet Branca

1 oz falernum

1 oz lime juice

Shake with crushed ice, pour into a tiki mug, float 1/2 oz Cruzan Black Strap (Gosling's Black Seal), mint sprig garnish.

6935869416_4c9052fccb_z.jpg

A variation of the Vieux Carre - not sure where I picked up this recipe (might have been on eG) - uses apple jack, calvados and Dandelion and Burdock bitters.

Gotta love my latest glasses - they are 2 of 3 coupes I picked up at a thrift store for 50 cents each - Rosenthal Studio Line.

A variation of the Vieux Carre - not sure where I picked up this recipe (might have been on eG) - uses apple jack, calvados and Dandelion and Burdock bitters.

Gotta love my latest glasses - they are 2 of 3 coupes I picked up at a thrift store for 50 cents each - Rosenthal Studio Line.

Here perhaps?

Looks and sounds like an interesting drink. Don't have those bitters so can't try the exact version. Is there another bitters that might sub for the Dandelion and Burdock bitters in this recipe?

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Here perhaps?

Looks and sounds like an interesting drink. Don't have those bitters so can't try the exact version. Is there another bitters that might sub for the Dandelion and Burdock bitters in this recipe?

I suspect that's where I found it - what bitters do you have?

Mostly the usual suspects. Boker's, Angostura and Ango orang, Peychaud's, Regans, Fee orange and barrel aged bitters, Bitterman's Xocolatl Mole, Bitter Truth Celery, old time aromatic, orange, creole and Jerry Thomas bitters, Underberg, amargo chuncho and probably one or two I can't recall off the top of my head.

The Dandelion and Burdock bitters may be available locally but I will just have to make a point to look for it.

I suppose one could fall back on the typical Peychaud's used in a Vieux Carre.

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Mostly the usual suspects. Boker's, Angostura and Ango orang, Peychaud's, Regans, Fee orange and barrel aged bitters, Bitterman's Xocolatl Mole, Bitter Truth Celery, old time aromatic, orange, creole and Jerry Thomas bitters, Underberg, amargo chuncho and probably one or two I can't recall off the top of my head.

The Dandelion and Burdock bitters may be available locally but I will just have to make a point to look for it.

I'd say which ever one will compliment the apple most.

7085513787_15554b8480_z.jpg

Tonight - the white negroni from PDT. I suspect naming it yellow snow might have been a bit more appropriate given the colour. First sip a bit challenging - it grew on me!

I'd say which ever one will compliment the apple most.

Kinda says citrus to me. Grapefruit bitters might be good but I don't have that either. Maybe the Ango orange would work as an alternative.

~tanstaafl2

And on that note, went to tiki-land tonight with the Montegomatica...

1 1/2 oz Wray & Nephew overproof rum

1 oz Fernet Branca

1 oz falernum

1 oz lime juice

Shake with crushed ice, pour into a tiki mug, float 1/2 oz Cruzan Black Strap (Gosling's Black Seal), mint sprig garnish.

Just out of curiosity, where did you find this recipe?

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Just out of curiosity, where did you find this recipe?

I really should list sources when I post but I didn't think to keep them with the recipes as I collected so it always requires a search. Anyway, it was here.

Hah! I thought that was Adam's drink. Thanks.

No problem. It's a tasty one. I've got to get over my fernet obsession or really stock up next time. Those 500ml bottles the LCBO carries go fast and the closest store that carries it is almost 5 hours away.

7085513787_15554b8480_z.jpg

Tonight - the white negroni from PDT. I suspect naming it yellow snow might have been a bit more appropriate given the colour. First sip a bit challenging - it grew on me!

The White Negroni... one of my favorite cocktails! :wub: It tastes like sucking on a tree branch (don't ask me why I think it's delicious, I have no idea, I just love it...)

How does the Citadelle gin work for that cocktail? I never had Citadelle but was wondering what it's like with the Suze since Citadelle is described as very "smooth". I had white negronis with Junipero which is very assertive and Beefeater which was great too, probably a little balanced for that cocktail. (PDT calls for Plymouth).

Don't really know how it would taste with the Plymouth instead - I also live in the province where the price of Plymouth just went up $10 and I'm too cheap to buy it. But sucking on a tree branch still describes it well! I'd say the Citadelle works.

Just noticed the LCBO now carries the Citadelle. I got my bottle in Quebec.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)