• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for a Couple of Cocktail Novices (Part 1)

Kerry Beal

6444071485_b9c2bcea7e_z.jpg

Tonight a Ramazzotti Jimjam - adapted from an Averna Jimjam here on Kindred Cocktails.

As I am without Averna, I subbed Ramazzotti along with 5 dashes each of Regan's orange and Angostura orange bitters for two drinks.

Are you envious of my bottle of Apry? Friends brought it back from Astor Wines in NYC - cost me 2 fruitcakes.

Are you envious of my bottle of Apry? Friends brought it back from Astor Wines in NYC - cost me 2 fruitcakes.

No. :raz:

Okay, I lied... yes, yes I am.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Nope! I guess I am more fortunate than I know since I don't have to be envious. Despite the occasional item that I can't readily get here I only have to go as far as my basement to locate Apry, Ramazotti or Averna. Not to mention the Regan's and Angostura orange bitters.

I am a bit envious though that I don't have a few cocktail enthusiast friends around this evening to share a novel cocktail or three with...

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Nope! I guess I am more fortunate than I know since I don't have to be envious. Despite the occasional item that I can't readily get here I only have to go as far as my basement to locate Apry, Ramazotti or Averna. Not to mention the Regan's and Angostura orange bitters.

I am a bit envious though that I don't have a few cocktail enthusiast friends around this evening to share a novel cocktail or three with...

I have some serious envy issues when I look at your posts about what you've bought at the liquor store!

I have some serious envy issues when I look at your posts about what you've bought at the liquor store!

I have been doing more than my share of schmoozing of late to try to be on the top of the list for the "good stuff".

Payed off again today!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

6469007583_0e82ef3e2d_z.jpg

Bleeding Castro - perhaps should be renamed Bleeding Ortega since I used the Flor de Cana. Rum, Punt e Mes, cherry heering, orange and grapefruit juice. Think I'd cut back the cherry heering a bit next time around.

• 2 weeks later...

6534238581_d7225c23eb_z.jpg

Tonight - the Avec - from David Wondrich's Killer Cocktails. Sorry for the rather sad photo - had to use the phone as my camera was in the car.

Tonight - the Avec - from David Wondrich's Killer Cocktails. Sorry for the rather sad photo - had to use the phone as my camera was in the car.

And what did you think? I adore this drink. Haven't made one in a while!

First sip didn't convince - but it did grow on us. I really liked the kirsch - more than maraschino - I'm wondering if I should try kirsch in some of the drinks where the funky taste of the maraschino bothers me.

Tonight we had Navy Grog from Craft of the Cocktail. No navy rum but the Mount Gay did yeoman's service.

6561767261_090c43afe7_z.jpg

Last night it was a Gansevoort Fizz - from Killer Cocktails - don't think I'll make this one again. Thought I'd like it more than I did.

6561767189_e02b43d7a9_z.jpg

Have been neglectful about posting but not about making and drinking! Tonight my daughter and her husband came over for a short visit and I made us all a Communist - gin, cherry heering, lemon juice and orange juice. They declared it a favourite and hope for a repeat in the future. I enjoyed it but like the more bitter cocktails better.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6609207687_eafcd8fd93_z.jpg

Thought perhaps I'd come up with something new - took The Brothers Perryman and subbed cynar for the campari. When I put those ingredients into a search engine I came up with a "Lucky 13" - only one of the recipes with that name looks similar to mine however.

If I wanted to take the Eden cocktail from the Difford's Guide site...

2 oz vodka

1/2 oz st. germain

1 1/2 oz apple juice

shake with ice, strain into ice-filled collins glass, top with tonic water

...and not use vodka (with the disclaimer that my nose has not grown long enough to look down it at vodka, I have vodka in my cabinet), what would be a good direction to go? I considered replacing it with calvados but thought that might be going overboard. Maybe replace part of the vodka with calvados and the rest with something else or forget the calvados altogether and then what? Again, I don't have an aversion to using the vodka, just wondered if there might be a way to have the base spirit add a little something to the drink without changing the flavor profile so much that it's no longer even close to the same drink.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'd try an Old Tom gIn. I can't wrap my head around the pairings of London Gin and apple juice, or bourbon and Tonic water. (Not saying they wouldn't work, I just cant imagine it and would have to try it.) but an Old tom might fit.... I'd probably try bourbon and soda water if you wanted to go that way.

6638558659_78490312c6_z.jpg

A Martinez tonight (well a bastardized version) - gin, sweet vermouth, kirsch in place of maraschino, and Boker's bitters.

Like my new tiny little glass? Anna and I hit a store in Kensington Market in Toronto today - it carries any number of things - and this was a glass that was a defect from an etching process - but I liked the pattern. Holds about 2 1/2 ounces (making it a mini Nick and Nora I guess) - perfect for just having a taste. Cost me 50 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought perhaps I'd come up with something new - took The Brothers Perryman and subbed cynar for the campari. When I put those ingredients into a search engine I came up with a "Lucky 13" - only one of the recipes with that name looks similar to mine however.

What proportions did you use? I have some Campari, gin and a mini of St Germain kicking around. I've been wondering what to do with the St Germain, even.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Only one way to find out ...

Altho' a lot of Calvados tastes less like apple and more like paint thinner stored in the same room as a sealed bottle of apple juice.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

What proportions did you use? I have some Campari, gin and a mini of St Germain kicking around. I've been wondering what to do with the St Germain, even.

1 1/2 ounces gin, 1 ounce each of St Germain and Cynar.